Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Default Cap Space?

So I know the C's were over the cap in 09-10...

But with Sheed retiring, Ray maybe signing like a 3 year 18-21 mill contract, Pierce maybe opting out for less per year, and other guys like Scal expiring are they in position to be able to spend on anybody? Or will they have to rely on trades/resigning people?

I definitely want to keep Ray/TA/Sheldon/Nate.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
Lebowski
Sweden Loves the Green

Default Re: Cap Space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
So I know the C's were over the cap in 09-10...

But with Sheed retiring, Ray maybe signing like a 3 year 18-21 mill contract, Pierce maybe opting out for less per year, and other guys like Scal expiring are they in position to be able to spend on anybody? Or will they have to rely on trades/resigning people?

I definitely want to keep Ray/TA/Sheldon/Nate.

^Agreed.

Someone did a calculation in the main forum and if I remember it correctly KGs contract is still too huge to be able to create a good amount of cap space. And this stands even if Paul somehow got a brain freeze and opted out of his contract to take a lower pay.

In this situation I guess they need to rely on trades or resigning people. I think we have the MLE(?) to offer?? Or if KG somehow took a paycut (lol) in the name of winning! If that even is possible, is that a buyout and then resign?

Someone who knows the contracts and how it all works please add to this discussion.
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

I worked it out, here's the post:

Quote:
OK, apparently Sheed is retiring. We renounce everyone, Pierce opts out and signs at $25 over 3 years. We have

KG $18.8m, Perk $4.1m, Davis $3m, Rondo $9m, Pierce $7m (increases per year)

= $41.9m

Cap is $56.1, gives us $14.2m to work with, take off the rookie contracts its about $13m. Gay could take that to play in Boston.

Rondo/#52
Pierce/#19
Gay/vet min
KG/Davis/vet min
Perk/#21 (bought from Thunder as suggested)

However, KG's contract is more like $21m and Perk's more like $4.4. We might, at a stretch, have $10m to work with under ALL THESE parameters.

ie, not gonna happen. I like the idea of buying #21 and trying to use it to trade up but I prefer the trade that i proposed that sees us get Ellis and #6 would never happen though.
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:57 AM   #4
AK47DR91

I'm one of those sports fans who are clueless in how cap space and salary works in the league.

So my basic question is, do we have any money to sign a second/third tier free agent this summer at all? i.e. Could sign somebody like Redick(restricted FA)?

But with the news of Pierce signing a 4-year $61 mill deal, seems like they won't have much cap space at all.

Kinda sucks that this is the biggest FA summer in the league's history and we have nothing to do or work with. A championship title a couple of weeks ago would have kept my interest away from the FA market...
Old 07-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
I'm one of those sports fans who are clueless in how cap space and salary works in the league.

So my basic question is, do we have any money to sign a second/third tier free agent this summer at all? i.e. Could sign somebody like Redick(restricted FA)?

But with the news of Pierce signing a 4-year $61 mill deal, seems like they won't have much cap space at all.

Kinda sucks that this is the biggest FA summer in the league's history and we have nothing to do or work with. A championship title a couple of weeks ago would have kept my interest away from the FA market...

We have just less than $6m (the mid-level exception) to spend on free agents, Redick is a possibility with that but most likely we'd spend it on a Centre such as Brad Miller, Shaq etc. More than one player can be signed with that money but often the full MLE is used by contending teams. For example we used it on Sheed last year. We can also spend the veteran's minimum as many times as we want, which changes with regards to how long a player has been in the league. It's no more than $2m though.
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
AK47DR91

Damn, we're pretty much broke!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: