Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #16
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
The more Arkansas wins down the stretch, the more value it will add to USC's win over them.
You think?

We were a completely different and inferior team then. We'd take USC right now. The difference is comparable to night and day.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #17
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Good Question, here's another, i wonder why it is we can route for a small program to win it all in NCAA basketball, but when it's football umless it's some perenial powerhouse everyone gets squimish

Because the field of 64 has a collection of teams where these teams played all season long to get a spot/seeding as they face off and try to get to the title game. So George Mason gets to the field of 64 and controls thier destiny. 1 game eliminations all around. Upsets happen and over the years we as fans grow accustomed to them. George Mason beating teams to get to the national tile game is different than Rutgers being in the national title game.

How so? George Mason had to go thru teams to get there. Rutgers had to play a schedule in the Big East which some say is a weak conference (dont wanna debate that) and a lame non schedule. So basically fans wanna know "Who have you beaten to make you worthy to play for a national title game". You see George Mason beat good teams that were ranked/seeded high. Rutgers? They beat Louisville....ok, fans sit and ask "Who else?" and *crickets*.

I think the setup in college is different. The NCAA 64 tourney is college bball's playoff system. NCAA football? You're going thru regular season then when you're done its decided who plays for what. People wanna see Rutgers face Uconn and whoever else they beat (brain freeze).
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #18
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
if you start the season unranked then you should have done better last season

how you played the year before has no bearing on if you are title worthy in the current year.

Quote:
Then what is the best conference in college football?

there is no true best. right now just by virtue of Michigan and Ohio State, the Big 10 is a little better at the top than the others. However, their middle to bottom is not impressive. all of the majors (that includes the Big East) are about even. They all have one or two really good teams and a bunch of average to bad teams.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:41 PM   #19
gts
Sons of Antartica

not undefeated, they lost to USC 50 to 14 at the start of the season
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:43 PM   #20
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
Who said they were undefeated?

I said undefeated in the SEC.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:44 PM   #21
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:

he meant in SEC play. and like i said, that game doesnt mean much when look at the teams makeup from then to now. Arkansas is completely different.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #22
JumpJump
Banned

Just as Michigan should not play in the title game if they lose, Arkansas should not play in the title game if USC and them have 1 loss each.

They had their chance to Jump!Jump!Jump! into the title game and failed. Tough luck.
JumpJump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #23
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
i'm not sure but even if they win out, i think their strength of scedule will hinder them in the end, same with notre dame if they were to win out, playing games like army and such really hurts them...it's the same as usc a couple years ago, because the pack 10 was lousy that year they didn't get an invite to the national championship game... there was a good website that had all the various ways it could work out and why, i'll see if i can find it and post it here....
Florida has already played, off the top of my head, Tennessee, Auburn, Georgia, and LSU. If they can also beat Arkansas that will be five good teams. No SEC school has strength of schedule problems, that conference is too tough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
What about Arkansas?

We're the only undefeated team in the SEC.......we got no fu*king love.
Undefeated in SEC play, but I'm sure you remember how they got thrashed by USC. If they can win the SEC they deserve a chance but if USC only has one loss you know who the voters are going to support. Especially seeing as USC dominated them.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:10 PM   #24
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
You think floridas strength of schedule will hurt them? Lay off the crack...

well it's not crack...lol its floridas schedule...

the bcs takes into account floridas schedule and the schedules of the teams they play, example lets say florida plays the little sisters of the poor and the LSoTP are unbeaten with 10 wins, the fact is they got all their victories playing the various campfire girl programs around the state so floridas victory is almost meaningless...

in 2006 as it stands now floridas wins came against teams with a combined record of 57 and 55 that's 2 over .500 not real quality wins when the bcs computers start humming.... i'm not say i don't think florida doesn't belong in the top ranks, i think they do deserve a chance and that's why i root for a playoff system... and the more arkansas wins the more it helps USC because of the victory over them at the begining of the season

i'm a big USC fan and i really don't think they belong where they are this season and if some weird turn of events lands them in the title game against ohio or michigan, i really doubt they can win. i'm happy with how they have done after losisng their entire offensive backfield and half the offensive line to the draft, but i truly think the are a year away from being a national contender again....

Last edited by gts : 11-15-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:26 PM   #25
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

What are you talking about? UF's wins come against opponents with a cumulative record of 52 and 43 and you talk about quality wins without looking at the schedule: Tennessee, Georgia, and LSU are all good teams and if they beat Arkansas and FSU they'll have excellent strength of schedule. The SEC is one of the toughest, if not the toughest, conferences in the country. You don't go through it with a weak schedule.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:52 PM   #26
gts
Sons of Antartica

look at floridas next game WCarolina a 2 and 10 team, that will hurt them, i projected that game into the tally assuming florida will win it making a cumulative record of 56 and 53 (they better win it or this whole thread is moot). the computers don't just take into account the good teams but take points away for playing lousy teams too.

please dont' take me wrong, i'm not saying florida is a bad team, i think they are deserving of a shot if they win out, i'm with you as far as their wins go... but its all about schedules now and the stregth of a teams opponents schedules and the computers.... and all the arguing in the world cannot change the computers mind...

Last edited by gts : 11-16-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:03 AM   #27
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Florida is going to run the table and I think deserves to go and winning the SEC title game may jump them above USC just like winning the SEC title jumped LSU over USC in 03. Especially if they blow out Arkansas like I expect them to. Florida's only loss was one they shouldn't have, to another top 10 team in Auburn. They'd have won that game if the refs rightly called Leak's throw a incomplete pass, instead of a fumble.

If USC can lose to Oregon State and still go over Florida, it will be a huge reason to get rid of the computers. The Pollsters no better, why can't it.

Last edited by Y2Gezee : 11-16-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:11 AM   #28
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
look at floridas next game WCarolina a 2 and 10 team, that will hurt them, i projected that game into the tally assuming florida will win it making a cumulative record of 56 and 53 (they better win it or this whole thread is moot). the computers don't just take into account the good teams but take points away for playing lousy teams too.

please dont' take me wrong, i'm not saying florida is a bad team, i think they are deserving of a shot if they win out, i'm with you as far as their wins go... but its all about schedules now and the stregth of a teams opponents schedules and the computers.... and all the arguing in the world cannot change the computers mind...
You originally talked about UF's wins against opponents "in 2006 as it stands now." If you want to look further down the line then you have to include FSU and Arkansas. The computers won't ignore them either. You can't have it both ways.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:32 AM   #29
gts
Sons of Antartica

ok if you want to argue sematics go for it, i was thinking you were brighter than that...

the SEC is not that powerful they have 2 teams in the top ten. the point is that Floridas strength of scedule is not great, they have the 15th hardest schedule at a 75.41 ranking and it's going to drop after they play Wcarolina this weekend because of west carolinas record... arkansas which in my opinion is better than florida in many ways has a SoS of 66.81 and is ranked 81st in the NCAA

that's is why i'm saying when push comes to shove and if USC wins out (which i doubt) they would get the nod over florida or arkansas, USC is ranked number 2 on the SoS with a 78.84 rating that means they played the
2nd hardest schedule this season...
Old 11-16-2006, 08:19 AM   #30
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
ok if you want to argue sematics go for it, i was thinking you were brighter than that...
Please don't try to get cute. You were and are clearly wrong. You can't cut off and disregard games against Florida State and Arkansas. Do you really think that the voters and computers will ignore something like an SEC Championship? I'm actually not sure whether or not you're brighter than that.

Quote:
the SEC is not that powerful they have 2 teams in the top ten. the point is that Floridas strength of scedule is not great, they have the 15th hardest schedule at a 75.41 ranking and it's going to drop after they play Wcarolina this weekend because of west carolinas record... arkansas which in my opinion is better than florida in many ways has a SoS of 66.81 and is ranked 81st in the NCAA
15th-hardest schedule so far isn't that tough? Make sense, please. West Carolina lowers the strength of schedule but FSU and Arkansas will raise it. Please spare me your ridiculously biased "analysis"...and by the way, I just looked up Sagarin, and it turns out you're slightly off. Florida's Sschedule strength is 14th. The 14th-hardest schedule isn't that tough? Really? And the SEC, which you claim is not that powerful, is rated at third by these overrated statistics that you wish to quote, behind the Pac 10 and the probably-not-that-good Big East. You may not have noticed this but havuing 2 teams in the top 10 is pretty good for a conference, and the SEC had more top 10 teams before it started beating itself up.
Quote:
that's is why i'm saying when push comes to shove and if USC wins out (which i doubt) they would get the nod over florida or arkansas, USC is ranked number 2 on the SoS with a 78.84 rating that means they played the
2nd hardest schedule this season...
They might get the BCS nod, but you can't disregard a team like Florida, that doesn't make any sense.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: