Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-26-2010, 12:45 AM   #16
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Undrafted Players- Summer League Invite list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
He sure isn't conditioned. Go back and check the games vs. Temple the last 2 years. He's calling for Self to give him a breather 3 1/2 minutes into the game in a slow-tempo game. 230 is way too heavy for him, as is 220. "Fat" isn't the word, but they use it because it's basketball. In football his body is perfect but this isn't football.
Seen him have enough wind to play big when it mattered in big games. Kid played 33 minutes a game as a senior. 35 a game as a junior. Jesus Christ.

But, hey, he once asked to be taken out of a game against Temple so you're probably right......
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #17
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Seen him have enough wind to play big when it mattered in big games. Kid played 33 minutes a game as a senior. 35 a game as a junior. Jesus Christ.

But, hey, he once asked to be taken out of a game against Temple so you're probably right......
Those are just numbers, man.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 12:53 AM   #18
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Those are just numbers, man.
I'll take that as a white flag.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:01 AM   #19
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
I'll take that as a white flag.
I'll take that as you're using statistics instead of your eyes. I'm a Collins fan. You can see the write up I did on him here. But denying he has a weight problem is flat out dumb.

Here's another link for you, an article I posted on here where Self comments on his weight.

And here's a more recent one of Self commenting on his weight...

Quote:
“Well, his weight has fluctuated a lot,” said Self, who last spoke with Collins over the weekend, when he weighed in at 219 pounds in Portland.

“He’s been as low as 207 and as high as 229 based on what I heard in a span of two months. It’s a big fluctuation. He’s very capable of keeping it down. I know there’s no 220-pound point guards in that league. That probably has not helped him at all.

“One good thing,” Self noted, “is Sherron has shown he can lose weight. He can gain or lose weight the easiest of any human being I’ve seen. He can lose 12 pounds in a week or put on weight in a week. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s down to 210 by Thursday. Unfortunately for him, he weighed more than that in Chicago (during official draft measurements when he was 217).

“The thing with Sherron, whenever he gets hurt and can’t work out, that’s when he puts on weight,” Self explained. “Sherron hurt his groin (within last month) and couldn’t work out. At that time he put on some weight.”
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/ju...h-xavier-henr/

Quote:
Collins has been battling injuries to his groin and his hand since the combine. That's limited what he can do, and as a result he seems to have fallen badly out of shape. Collins weighed 217 pounds at the combine, which is already a lot for a player that doesn't crack 6-feet. But in New Jersey he weighed a whopping 229. He gained 12 pounds in the course of under three weeks. Collins struggled with weight issues his whole college career and it's going to hurt his draft stock. Every GM in the league thinks he has talent, but all of them are concerned he'll lack the discipline to keep himself in the shape he needs to excel in the league. If he were 6-10 like Pittman, I think GMs would look the other way. But at 5-10, I'm not sure.
http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010...the-next-byron

And more. The weight is an issue.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:09 AM   #20
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Damn, no Pops Mensah-Bonsu. He's usually my guy in Summer League.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 AM   #21
fatboy11

Weight is an issue when he gets hurt. It is for a lot of people. His own coach said he can drop weight like it's nothing. What's the problem? He went undrafted because he's short. Don't kid yourself. That weight helps him a lot of times. Could he be in better shape? Sure. We all could. But he isn't fat. He isn't out of shape. That's all a bunch of bullshit. All these "experts" need to fill up the page and "The guy is just too short" doesn't do that.

You say he gets winded, but he played a ton of minutes as an upperclassmen. And you act like I haven't seen the kid play. Who hasn't seen a ton of Kansas basketball on TV? I don't give a shit if you're a "Collins fan" like that gives you some greater insight into a player who millions of people saw play just as much as you did. I never once, not one time, thought that he was out of shape. Guys get tired. Especially when they log big minutes. It happens. He also played through a number of injuries, IIRC.

If weight didn't keep Khalid El-Amin from being drafted, it didn't keep Sherron Collins from being drafted. League is cracking down on undersized guards these days. Very few of those guys get a chance (and Collins could still get one). But let's not like that he's out of shape or fat. That, young man, is just flat out dumb. You can't be out of shape or fat and do the things I've seen this kid do over the past few years. There's always room for improvement and every single pro athlete out there should be looking to get in better shape to stay on top, but Sherron Collins is just a bulky dude. That's he's frame. That's where "weight is just a number" comes in because 230 doesn't necessarily make you fat or out of shape, even at under 6 foot, if you carry it well.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: