Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #16
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Undrafted College Studs who could contribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Only reason I can think of is that he's undisciplined as a player. He has star mentality, but not star-level skill. So teams are unwilling to add a guy who won't get 10 shots a game nor will he be allowed to ball dominate as much as he did in Michigan. So what are his capabilities in becoming a role player? Easier to draft rotation guys like Ried or Fields than a guy who may not pan out being the 3rd or 4th guy off the bench.

Plus Michigan underwhelmed last year and he was supposed to be leading that team to the tournament, or atleast the NIT and he did neither.

Eh, Landry Fields was the focal point of Stanford's offense last season in a completely depleted Pac-10. He got 16 FGA per game, shot under 50% from the field, less than 70% from the FT line and wasn't that great of a 3 pt shooter to boot. He averaged nearly as many TOs as assists and really could have been signed as an undrafted FA if they liked him that much.

Ryan Reid though, man, really? I barely noticed this guy during Florida State games. He's 6'8", shoots <50% from the field, had a season high of 16 points, averaged 7 points a game, and wasn't on anyone's radar before the draft. What blows my mind is that the Thunder actually traded for him. Who knows, maybe he's a good defender and may surprise during summer league...but until then...

It's not like Manny is a one dimensional player or undersized either (just under 6'6" in shoes), he's a good playmaker, rebounder and not bad on defense. I would love to have this guy coming off the bench for me as the focal point of the second unit.

Last edited by Grinder : 06-26-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:40 AM   #17
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
Eh, Landry Fields was the focal point of Stanford's offense last season in a completely depleted Pac-10. He got 16 FGA per game, shot under 50% from the field, less than 70% from the FT line and wasn't that great of a 3 pt shooter to boot. He averaged nearly as many TOs as assists and really could have been signed as an undrafted FA if they liked him that much.

I don't understand your point. You're dumping on Fields for shooting 1% under below 50% but Manny shot 43% on less shots. Right now, Fields has more translatable skills than Manny at this point. He's more crafty as a scorer, can rebound, has more of an NBA type body. I didn't watch too many Pac-10 games, but I can understand that pick. I like Manny better, mainly cause I'm a Big 10 guy, but I don't think it was that glaring of a omission.

Quote:
Ryan Reid though, man, really? I barely noticed this guy during Florida State games. He's 6'8", shoots <50% from the field, had a season high of 16 points, averaged 7 points a game, and wasn't on anyone's radar before the draft. What blows my mind is that the Thunder actually traded for him. Who knows, maybe he's a good defender and may surprise during summer league...but until then...

That was clearly a case of drafting for a need versus drafting the best player available. It's not really one to pick and choose. You can't really argue against them deciding to go for a guy who fits a role they wanted versus a player they don't need at all, despite being better. In the 2nd round, you're really just drafting whoever fits your team.

Quote:
It's not like Manny is a one dimensional player or undersized either (just under 6'6" in shoes), he's a good playmaker, rebounder and not bad on defense. I would love to have this guy coming off the bench for me as the focal point of the second unit.

I hope I don't root for the same team. Manny is incapable of carrying a D1 unit, much less a 2nd unit in the NBA. He really is like a poor man's Jamal Crawford. He's either making something amazing happening or he's having one gigantic face palm of the game.

The problem with Manny is that he just doesn't do one particular thing very well. You look at guys like Ried and Fields and you can identify their niche. When yo get to the mid to late second rounders, everyone is drafting roles/stats they're trying to add to their team. A system guy, a scorer, a defensive player, etc.. Manny.. is really just above average at everything, but not good enough to be a 15-20mpg player at this point. As a 2nd rounder you're looking at 5-10mpg.. what can he do in those limited minutes? And that's tough when you're not that particularly good at 1 thing.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #18
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Oh and I must say one thing, Deon Thompson ain't making the NBA. When you can't catch a post entry feed, nor make one, you're a useless big in the NBA.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #19
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Take Courtney Forston off that list and I'll pretend it never happened. He has no NBA future at all. He's a shorter, less talented Allen Iverson. He's selfish and doesn't play defense.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #20
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

what ever happened to Omar Samhan. the guy beasted in the tourny and i havent heard of him since
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #21
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

The Big Skinny is considered somewhat coolThe Big Skinny is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
what ever happened to Omar Samhan. the guy beasted in the tourny and i havent heard of him since

It was all hype my man. the dude was shootin fade away jumpers and hooks n the lane. he was soft, out of shape, and the least bit athletic. he does not stand a chance in the NBA
The Big Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #22
JCG
Can barely lace up my sneakers

JCG has an OK reputation so far

Good post. There were a couple guys I was real surprised did not get picked up by an NBA team, however based on the fact that you can get a guy as a free agent after the draft and at the same time not waste a pick, in a way it's understandable.

Especially this season, as it was more of a forward/center draft unlike last year which was a point guard draft. Anyways...

My biggest sleeper is Jerome Randle out of Cal. Somebody will pick him up after the Summer League in Orlando. Interestingly his size, shooting and ball handling ability are similar to that of Jameer Nelson's.

However, this little guy can really get it going from three. He could definitely speed up Orlando's pace and get them some easy buckets in transition. Something that they lacked in the playoffs this last season.

http://www.examiner.com/x-43656-NBA-...-Jerome-Randle

Next up...Sylven Landesberg. Dude can get to the rim at will. Throwback style game, similar to Tyreke's in Sactown. A 6'6" lead guard out of Brooklyn, New York.

http://www.examiner.com/x-43656-NBA-...ven-Landesberg
JCG is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: