Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
dealer77
I open layup bricks

Default Undrafted FAs/Summer League Roster

The Pistons have already announced that Jonas Jerebko, DaJuan Summers, and Austin Daye will all be included on their summer league roster. No surprise here

http://detnews.com/article/20100615/...-League-roster

EDIT: Western Kentucky G A.J. Slaughter and UAB G Elijah Millsap (Brother of Utah's Paul Millsap) will also be included.

http://lifeondumars.com/2010/06/27/p...league-roster/

Greg Monroe and Terrico White should also be included. Who else would you like to see on the team? Some possibilities:

PF Deon Thompson, UNC
F Wayne Chism, Tennessee
PF Brian Davis, Texas A&M
PF Samardo Samuels, Lousiville
PG Ishmael Smith, Wake Forest
PG Laurence Westbrook, Minnesota
G Manny Harris, Michigan
SF Raymar Morgan, Michigan State
G Scottie Reynolds, Villanova
G Matt Bouldin, Gonzaga
C Arinze Onuaku, Syracuse (still injured, likely unable to play)

Last edited by dealer77 : 06-28-2010 at 10:27 AM.
dealer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

Default Re: Undrafted FAs/Summer League Roster

Great thread. I think Manny Harris is the one guy who has the most upside of all the players who didn't get drafted. I thought he would get taken with a mid 2nd round pick and even then I thought he had a ton of upside as a 2nd rounder. The kid has the talent to be a starter in the league, he just needs some polishing. I know Detroit has way too many SG's but I would pick him up for the summer league in a heart beat.

I also like Matt Bouldin and Raymar Morgan. I think they could be contributors in the league. They're the types who Detroit could have play over seas for a bit to develop them and then bring them in when the time is ready. If it doesn't work there really isn't too much of a loss. Bouldin is a combo guard he if he learned to be a PG full time could be a very effective player. He has a great outside shot and actually has a pretty decent post up game. I saw a few of his college games and could hear them in their time outs and he actually liked to post up the smaller PG's that guarded him. Unfortunately, the guards are the ones that I see with the biggest upside and for the most part we are set there.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
dealer77
I open layup bricks

Update on the players that already have teams:

Wayne Chism-Nets and Kings
Bryan Davis-Spurs
Ishmael Smith-Rockets (Aaron Brooks #2?)
Manny Harris-Cavs(?)
Scottie Reynolds-Suns
Matt Bouldin-Bulls
Raymar Morgan-Wizards

Kinda disappointing that the Pistons couldn't grab more of these guys, especially the in-state players...
Old 06-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

Very true...... though I'm glad to see them finding teams. I think the Bulls are a good choice for Bouldin. He could be a potential Kirk Hinrich replacement.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
dealer77
I open layup bricks

Apparently Chiekh Samb made his way on to Toronto's summer league roster. I always wondered why he was basically thrown away, especially when we need prospects at center. Samb always seemed to be a reasonably athletic shot blocker who had potential to be more, especially at 7'1"
Old 07-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
dd24
College superstar

It'll be interesting to see how he does. In my opinion if you can't put up a double/double in summer league at that size than you're probably not cut out for the NBA. If he can average that he might have a chance to make a team.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
It'll be interesting to see how he does. In my opinion if you can't put up a double/double in summer league at that size than you're probably not cut out for the NBA. If he can average that he might have a chance to make a team.

Samb seems like a bum. Daye looks nice so far,Monroe a bit lost.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

Yeah, Terrico did well, Jerebko did ok, Daye was pretty good. I expect more out of Monroe though. If he doesn't play well in summer league, we aren't going to be able to expect a lot from him...
Old 07-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Yeah, Terrico did well, Jerebko did ok, Daye was pretty good. I expect more out of Monroe though. If he doesn't play well in summer league, we aren't going to be able to expect a lot from him...

big guys always have an adjusting period
Old 07-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
big guys always have an adjusting period

Hopefully he did overnight because he has a nice matchup today.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #11
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

most of you have probably seen it, but pistons powered has a nice write up after the first summer league game.
http://www.pistonpowered.com/2010/07...win/#more-3065
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

Thanks for posting that. I didn't see that write up yet. It really sounds like Daye is going to be a SG/SF next year, doesn't it? Of course that makes our log jam at SG that much worse.... The other thing it makes me think is they plan on trying to trade Rip for a big and starting BG. I don't think BG is a full time starter in the NBA but that's a different discussion.... It just seams like they are grooming Daye to be a backup SG because of his offensive/scoring skills. If he could learn to use his length to his advantage defensively, he might just be able to play that spot too.

I wasn't necessarily mad or happy about the Terrico White pick initially. I thought going after a center would have been our best bet but once again it looks like Joe D. might have done well with another 2nd rounder. That guy looks like he could get into the rotation this year. I'm not saying major minutes but he'll make a contribution and get better this season. I'm pretty happy about getting him now.

On the other end of the spectrum.... I'm crossing my fingers with Monroe. While that is who I wanted at #7 (well other than Cousins of course) it is going to be a gamble with him. If he's going to play PF he isn't quite athletic enough to compete with guys like Amare, Bosh, Boozer, etc in my opinion. Hopefully he works on becoming a center in this league. He really needs to step it up though. Let's not have another lottery bust
Old 07-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Thanks for posting that. I didn't see that write up yet. It really sounds like Daye is going to be a SG/SF next year, doesn't it? Of course that makes our log jam at SG that much worse.... The other thing it makes me think is they plan on trying to trade Rip for a big and starting BG. I don't think BG is a full time starter in the NBA but that's a different discussion.... It just seams like they are grooming Daye to be a backup SG because of his offensive/scoring skills. If he could learn to use his length to his advantage defensively, he might just be able to play that spot too.

I wasn't necessarily mad or happy about the Terrico White pick initially. I thought going after a center would have been our best bet but once again it looks like Joe D. might have done well with another 2nd rounder. That guy looks like he could get into the rotation this year. I'm not saying major minutes but he'll make a contribution and get better this season. I'm pretty happy about getting him now.

On the other end of the spectrum.... I'm crossing my fingers with Monroe. While that is who I wanted at #7 (well other than Cousins of course) it is going to be a gamble with him. If he's going to play PF he isn't quite athletic enough to compete with guys like Amare, Bosh, Boozer, etc in my opinion. Hopefully he works on becoming a center in this league. He really needs to step it up though. Let's not have another lottery bust

I think Monroe can use his length at PF to great avail, like Gasol does. He can really bother the shots of guys like Boozer/Amare. He has to play C though, at least half the time. I really hope we see a different Charlie V this year and he can be the scoring, stretch 4 we paid him to be. At least block shots and rebound if you won't play D, works for Bosh

Daye is gonna be a good one. Not sure if he can play SG, but its worth a try. If Paul George can, why not. I love Joe's mid and late round picks. Daye,Jerebko,Delfino,Prince,Okur,Stuckey,Afflalo,M axiell(an NBA player at least), even Rebraca. Shoot even Darko looks like he'll be some sort of NBA player.

White was worth the pick. With his athleticism and shot, he'll stick in this league for a long time. Gotta take a guy like that in the 2nd. No Centers that would play were available.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
dd24
College superstar

Greg Monroe had his first good game last night....
Old 08-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
foxachickaza
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Undrafted FAs/Summer League Roster

8 olinemen? No way. BAW is out of his gourd. Who on earth thinks Jeff Charleston makes the roster instead of a backup center with real experience? He looks like a numnutz with these craxy predicks.
foxachickaza is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: