Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-07-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Default When will the Lakers learn...

that you have to get right up on Ray Allen? Just glue yourself to him and force him to drive. he will not hit that floater/layup with LA's bigs in the paint. As long as the Lakers keeps giving Ray Allen wide open shots, Lakers are going to get killed by his ability to knock them down and spreading the floor.
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #2
KG5MVP
Banned

Default Re: When will the Lakers learn...

it's easier said then done
KG5MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG5MVP
it's easier said then done

Kirk Hinrich, Raja Bell, Aaron Affalo, Thabo Sefolosha, Dauntey Jones, James Posey and other dudes I forgot to mention are rolling over in their graves at how easy of a task this is.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
asdf1990
College star

i keep reading this bs, u do realize that ray allen is the best off the ball mover in the nba right? u do realize that the celtics set multiple screens to get him free. its not like the lakers are leaving him open like they do with rondo. give creditt where its due and that is ray's off the ball movement.
asdf1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #5
Gevz2kX
Logician

it's his ability to run off the ball. He dodges screens and runs around until he can find an open shot. Similar to Rip Hamilton. Must be a UConn thing
Gevz2kX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
Captain Kirk
Beat the world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsOut
Kirk Hinrich, Raja Bell, Aaron Affalo, Thabo Sefolosha, Dauntey Jones, James Posey and other dudes I forgot to mention are rolling over in their graves at how easy of a task this is.

When? I mean, it is a lot easier said than done because of the screens that are set for him. Not to mention he's not just any shooter, the guy doesn't have the ball in his hands a full half second before it's gone. It's actually quite scary watching him if you're a fan of the opposing team.
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
amfirst
Good college starter

Kind of hard when the refs didn't let Fisher play defense. Ray would just push off or run over fisher to get to the screen and the refs would call a foul on him. Hopefully, refs call in favor for Lakers next game.
amfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #8
Courtside View
I rule the local playground

Quote:
that you have to get right up on Ray Allen? Just glue yourself to him and force him to drive. he will not hit that floater/layup with LA's bigs in the paint. As long as the Lakers keeps giving Ray Allen wide open shots, Lakers are going to get killed by his ability to knock them down and spreading the floor.

Honestly, this is spoken like someone who doesn't understand basketball. Ray Allen is a master of off the ball movement, since that's the best way for him to get points since he's such a great shooter. Not only does Boston constantly set screens for him, but he moves so well that when there are offensive rebounds or broken plays he spots up better than anyone in the league. Teams can slow this at times, but it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that knows the game that he's able to get open often. He's been doing it for how many years now?
Courtside View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:03 AM   #9
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtside View
Honestly, this is spoken like someone who doesn't understand basketball. Ray Allen is a master of off the ball movement, since that's the best way for him to get points since he's such a great shooter. Not only does Boston constantly set screens for him, but he moves so well that when there are offensive rebounds or broken plays he spots up better than anyone in the league. Teams can slow this at times, but it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that knows the game that he's able to get open often. He's been doing it for how many years now?

It's called running through the screens, fighting, clawing, tearing, doing whatever it takes to stick like glue onto him. I don't appreciate you attacking a strategy that is commonly used in REAL basketball, you know the one where you can play defense. If there's a will to do it, there sure as hell is a way to do it. Don't act like Ray Allen is some god that can't be stopped even if you tried.

I hope the Lakers aren't stupid enough to listen to your post and continue to let him waddle through picks and get whatever he wants behind the arc. Please be more objective when making posts next time.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:07 AM   #10
catch24
phal5

Agreed with the OP. Our defense on him that first half was pitiful. Ray went 7/7 (6 out of those 7 shots he'd of made in a shootaround). There was no resistance tonight, NONE.
catch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #11
Courtside View
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch24
Agreed with the OP. Our defense on him that first half was pitiful. Ray went 7/7 (6 out of those 7 shots he'd of made in a shootaround). There was no resistance tonight, NONE.

It's one thing to question LAs defense on some plays here and there, but AGAIN Ray has been doing this for years against varieties of defenses so to say "When will LA learn" as if all you have to do is this or that to slow him is foolish. Sometimes his skill and ability is going to allow him to get off that way. Unecessary thread IMO.
Courtside View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:11 AM   #12
SevereUpInHere
Utryin2getthepipe?

Not that I condone it, but i think Fish really needed to sell himself as he was going through all those moving screens, Flop if you have to at least once to show the refs whats happening. I honestly thing he did a decent job on Ray, despite him scoring so many points a lot of them came in transition, Ray just covers so much ground to find his open spots. So hard to defend
SevereUpInHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:15 AM   #13
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

Quote:
It's called running through the screens, fighting, clawing, tearing, doing whatever it takes to stick like glue onto him. I don't appreciate you attacking a strategy that is commonly used in REAL basketball, you know the one where you can play defense. If there's a will to do it, there sure as hell is a way to do it. Don't act like Ray Allen is some god that can't be stopped even if you tried.

I hope the Lakers aren't stupid enough to listen to your post and continue to let him waddle through picks and get whatever he wants behind the arc. Please be more objective when making posts next time.

No disrespect but it really does sound you don't understand basketball. Before the Finals, Phil was telling everyone to continue to chase Ray off screens, fight through screens, and "stick to him like glue". It's easier said than done. People are acting like Ray isn't a 14 year veteran who has perfected the pull up J, off the dribble J, and catch and shoot J. Not only that, but he stays in great shape and is obviously not your typical 34 year SG. He may not have hops anymore, but check that mans calves. Watch him run for 48 minutes. There isn't one person on the Lakers who can chase him around like that. Not one.

I'm not saying he is ungaurdable or anything, but I suggest you hit the courts and try to chase around a smaller, quicker player who can shoot. Not only is it hard, but it's very frustrating. If someone is setting hard picks and the shooter is hot, it feels almost impossible.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:22 AM   #14
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejumpa
No disrespect but it really does sound you don't understand basketball. Before the Finals, Phil was telling everyone to continue to chase Ray off screens, fight through screens, and "stick to him like glue". It's easier said than done. People are acting like Ray isn't a 14 year veteran who has perfected the pull up J, off the dribble J, and catch and shoot J. Not only that, but he stays in great shape and is obviously not your typical 34 year SG. He may not have hops anymore, but check that mans calves. Watch him run for 48 minutes. There isn't one person on the Lakers who can chase him around like that. Not one.

I'm not saying he is ungaurdable or anything, but I suggest you hit the courts and try to chase around a smaller, quicker player who can shoot. Not only is it hard, but it's very frustrating. If someone is setting hard picks and the shooter is hot, it feels almost impossible.

I'll pass on taking basketball tips from a guy who has over 3000 posts in a year on ISH. Let's just do what you say and let Allen have what he wants. This is obviously the best strategy according to you correct?

All I'm asking is that the Lakers TRY and stay with him. Shannon Brown gave up 3-4 uncontested. Fisher got picked off 3 times and Farmar was too busy trying to guard Rondo at the 3pt line when Ray was open.

Sometimes you just have to man up and take him out. I know that if it was me, Ray Allen wouldn't be dropping 27pts without getting a couple of bruised ribs, scrapes and being knocked on his ass a few times before doing so, which clearly was not the case tonight. If he scored 27pts with a hand up in his face on every shot tonight, I wouldn't make this thread. It's all about effort.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:24 AM   #15
catch24
phal5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtside View
It's one thing to question LAs defense on some plays here and there, but AGAIN Ray has been doing this for years against varieties of defenses so to say "When will LA learn" as if all you have to do is this or that to slow him is foolish. Sometimes his skill and ability is going to allow him to get off that way. Unecessary thread IMO.

I'm not saying he wouldnt of made those shots had there been a defender there, but lets be real...While Ray has been a great shooter/scorer, he's never played this well in the post season (only game that comes to mind is Chicago last year). 7 straight 3's in a Finals game with no defender in plain site?
catch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: