Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 06-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default Spacing & Scoring

People say that college has bad spacing, but I just realized that HS has bad spacing as well. Yesterday we had our first summer league game and boy was it a rude awakening. It was a completely new team and our PG was not there, plus it was our first time playing together. But anyway when I started becoming more aggressive second half I found out that it was tough getting all the way to the rack since the help came in on me. But when the help came I kept assisting my teammates to easy buckets. The thing is I want to be scoring more. What I think will help is using my athletic ability, jumping and scoring while in the air, since I normally beat my first man and get in the lane.

Does anybody have tips?
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: Spacing & Scoring

Keep passing to your teammates when the help comes... don't worry about how much you score. If the help doesn't come or it comes late/not very hard, that's when you try to score.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

if you dont want to get benched, keep hitting the open players

if you just want to score,
- fake pass with first step if the help defender bites, 2nd step to a lay up, if help defender didnt bite give it up and hit open man
- use a move to change direction when help defense comes

just FYI, it's a good way to tick off teammates and coaches if you try to take over the game when your teammates are open , if you are going up you better make sure you score
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
MannyO
Super Cool E

I like setting up for my teammates and such but sometimes it will be more beneficial if I score. Ive been looking at players like Jonny Flynn and he knows how to score well especially with the acrobatic moves in the lane. I want to put pressure on the D.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
KJones
Banned

KJones has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
People say that college has bad spacing, but I just realized that HS has bad spacing as well. Yesterday we had our first summer league game and boy was it a rude awakening. It was a completely new team and our PG was not there, plus it was our first time playing together. But anyway when I started becoming more aggressive second half I found out that it was tough getting all the way to the rack since the help came in on me. But when the help came I kept assisting my teammates to easy buckets. The thing is I want to be scoring more. What I think will help is using my athletic ability, jumping and scoring while in the air, since I normally beat my first man and get in the lane.

Does anybody have tips?
If you normally beat your first guy then that means you normally have a easy mid range pull-up shot wide open... Developing a one or two bounce pull up will work wonders for your game.
KJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJones
If you normally beat your first guy then that means you normally have a easy mid range pull-up shot wide open... Developing a one or two bounce pull up will work wonders for your game.

Yea but to just pull up when you blow by your guy is not putting any pressure on the D. I mean if you can make that shot 90% of the time then ok... but I'd still rather have my guy attack the basket or kick it out for an open 3... but it would depend on the personnel. If you have Kyle Korver out there on the wing.. you better pass it to him... if you have Marvin Williams... yea maybe the pullup is a better idea
Old 06-26-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea but to just pull up when you blow by your guy is not putting any pressure on the D. I mean if you can make that shot 90% of the time then ok... but I'd still rather have my guy attack the basket or kick it out for an open 3... but it would depend on the personnel. If you have Kyle Korver out there on the wing.. you better pass it to him... if you have Marvin Williams... yea maybe the pullup is a better idea

Yea I don't want the pullup because I can get that shot easily, I want to get to the rack and get AND1s put players in foul trouble. The help is coming quickly so I just mainly pass it to one of my post players cutting to the basket and I had like 6 assists on that alone.

ALSO I need help with my defense badly. I have bad reaction time how do I improve this?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
forensic91
I airball my layups

forensic91 has an OK reputation so far

I don't see a problem with ADDING the pull-up to your game. Give the defense different looks and stuff. Doesn't mean you have to use the pull-up every time. You can do it say 1-2 times a game and get an easy 2-4 pts. And depending on how consistent your pull-up is sometimes the post defender will try to come up and contest leaving your player open down low.
forensic91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Yea I don't want the pullup because I can get that shot easily, I want to get to the rack and get AND1s put players in foul trouble. The help is coming quickly so I just mainly pass it to one of my post players cutting to the basket and I had like 6 assists on that alone.

ALSO I need help with my defense badly. I have bad reaction time how do I improve this?

Increase reactive ability... Plyo's, weights, and also agility drills.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Does anybody have tips?
dont worry about how much you score. helping others score is just as important (especially feeding them easy buckets).

assists > scoring
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
MannyO
Super Cool E

you guys are right that I should keep on with the passing but I want to be a 20 pt 10+ asst type of player. I am trying to get a scholarship this year. Do the college coaches look at players and give out scholarships based on defense?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: