Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Anybody watching this new show Louie on FX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Nothing else like it on the tv. So honest and heartfelt but also funny and creative....amazing stuff, Louis ck is so charismatic because he seems like such a genuine no BS kind of guy. He will call out the bs but in a gentle logical way, love his stuff

A lot of that has to do with how it's shot. Very guerilla style. They only use one cam and a lot of the scenes and dialogue is done on the fly. I got a chance to work on it last year in a short scene with Joan Rivers. Didn't start watching the show until recently on netflix, great stuff. Same basic formula as Seinfeld with the stand up routine and 'nothing' (aka everyday life) being the subject matter, but it's grittier.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #17
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah, in the last episode they show how the drowning scene was filmed, basically Louie and a camera, pretty sick
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation hereRoseCity07 has an incredible reputation here

Breaking Bad starts Sunday. I really like Louie but BB is the show to watch this summer.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #19
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

just watched the 4th episode, and finally this show seems to have returned to form. i dunno, the first three episodes were pretty disappointing to me. premises were alright, louie buys a motorcycle, louie eats p*ssy, louie makes a friend in miami... not outstanding but serviceable. execution was poor though. seemed like half of every episode was louie not just stammering and saying stupidly funny shit but literally frozen in the headlights unable to get more than a syllable out of his mouth.

this past episode however more than made up for it with the book store dialogue which was great, the reality tv parody was hysterical. and jesus that tennis/golf bit absolutely killed me, "because they're alone", that just had to be one of those eureka moments for him. but yeah, this one was finally on point, i'll be checking out pt 2 momentarily

remembering back, i don't think the show really hit its stride until about 3-4 eps into the second season so maybe it just took a while for the ideas to come. regardless i'm glad it's back where it needs to be.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Yeah, in the last episode they show how the drowning scene was filmed, basically Louie and a camera, pretty sick

I was fascinated by the simplicity of that as well. Just him with a few crew guys, then a quick direction of get in front and "action." He is a very bright dude it seems. Not just in his humor, but just watching that filming session shows that he can make something without making it an elaborate thing, and that is following his simple money making move of putting a standup routine on his own website for cheap by cutting out the middle men rather than the typical way of getting his show attention.
Myth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #21
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I thought tonight's episode was hilarious. His conversation with the boy on the couch was hilarious. "..because you eat raw meat and you shit in the tub."
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #22
REACTION
HYRYSICPT?

REACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation here

Was that Artie Lange that jumped out of the chemical truck yelling "Holy shit, run!!"?

It's good to see him getting back into things.
REACTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #23
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Shit's great. Really, really great. FX apparently gave him free reign and he's doing whatever the hell he wants. That death of the antisocial asshole with no friends funeral that turned into the worst thing to ever happen to a shithole (far too attractive for a dayshift) stripclub playing over Motorin? Holy shit, that was outstanding.

Louis CK needs a multiple picture directing deal, I'm dead serious. It's not just how funny, and sad, and weird, and downright melancholy, a lot of the show is. It's legitimately really well made, on I assume next to no budget.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #24
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I just think the show is absolutely brilliant. It's hard to put my finger on because it's not as if it's outright funny. It's not as if it's filled with "jokes". It's more that it's conceptually funny. The idea of an asshole comedy club owner who is beloved at this strip club is hysterical, even if it wasn't crammed with one liners.
I loved the whole Miami episode with the Cuban guy and the homoerotic tension. And I felt like that was one that really came together completely because they showed him doing his stand up routine about how defensive heterosexual men are about being heterosexual men. And how we miss out on things we might enjoy. I thought he was going to talk about stuff like he did in Miami, but instead he talks about using certain words, like "delightfull". "That titty bar sure was delightfull."

He was doing absolutely everything on it. He was using a manager to do a lot of the production. He's apparently been a film buff most of his life and is using a lot of his own equipment to film and edit, and he does direct . And until this year he doing all the editing. The network had asked him to help, to take something off of his plate, and he suggested he'd give up the editing (something he loves doing) if they could get some woman who is a famous editor (I forget the name, but apparently she did a lot of the New York era Woody Allen stuff). To his shock, she was available and said yes, and I think it's helped this year. It's a great looking show. The black and white cuts. The perfectly square framing. The soundtrack is great. This year there's been tons of French pop. It's a great take on New York City.

He's obviously a miserable bastard, which is where a lot of my connection is. But you're also getting a lot of his absurdist sensibility. Maybe not to the level of that first season, where woman were leaving him via helicopter. But it's still there. For some reason I find it hysterical every time they show his ex wife and she's black, even though his kids are complete toeheads.

And because of the nature of the show, you can get some legitimately sincere moments. Last year's USO episode was genuinely touching.

Basically, I love the show. I'm going to see Louie in Hartford in November, and frankly I can't wait.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

my wife loves it. I havent really seen it. She thought the bag of ***** *********ion scene was hilarious and made me watch that. hes pretty funny
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #26
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
my wife loves it. I havent really seen it. She thought the bag of ***** *********ion scene was hilarious and made me watch that. hes pretty funny
I'm getting the 1st season right now, it's been on my watchlist for ages seeing this thread just made me go for it. I hope it's as intelligent and funny as people say.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #27
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This show is absolutely brilliant. Love it.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #28
REACTION
HYRYSICPT?

REACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation hereREACTION has an incredible reputation here

Holy shit, I lost it watching this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0g3q_4kZnU

He's still got it. Great show still.
REACTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #29
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I don't know why but I kept thinking they was doing a live action version of "Life with Louie"
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:14 AM   #30
stalkerforlife
Local High School Star

stalkerforlife posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrystalkerforlife posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrystalkerforlife posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Great comedian.

Great show.
stalkerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: