Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 07-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

Default Free Agency Talk

Here's what I read today...

Quote:
Pistons eye Matt Barnes?

The Pistons stayed relatively quiet, as expected, on the first day of free agency. The Pistons contacted Ben Wallace and Will Bynum, their own free agents. Both are expected to return. The team also placed calls to center Brendan Haywood and forward Matt Barnes. Detroit News

Haywood makes perfect sense in Detroit. I would be all for that. I really like Matt Barnes but I'm not sure why Detroit wants him unless they have a trade lined up. We have a ton of SF's and SG's and they are all capable players. Let's focus on PF and C, and getting Bynum back as a backup PG.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Default Re: Free Agency Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Here's what I read today...

Haywood makes perfect sense in Detroit. I would be all for that. I really like Matt Barnes but I'm not sure why Detroit wants him unless they have a trade lined up. We have a ton of SF's and SG's and they are all capable players. Let's focus on PF and C, and getting Bynum back as a backup PG.

it would probably mean dealing Prince. Barnes gives us a bit more 3 point shooting and toughness. He is better equipped to guard guys like Lebron,Pierce,Melo etc.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

There's no way I would give up Prince for Barnes. Barnes is a guy who is on a different team every year. There's a reason for that. Tay is a proven winner who is loyal.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Kombo
:)

Matt Barnes only makes sense if Prince is to be traded. Why take minutes away from guys like Jerebko, Daye and even Summers for a player that has peaked as a solid rotational player? Adding Barnes does not increase our win total, unless we move Prince and want at least one veteran at the 3.
Kombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombo
Matt Barnes only makes sense if Prince is to be traded. Why take minutes away from guys like Jerebko, Daye and even Summers for a player that has peaked as a solid rotational player? Adding Barnes does not increase our win total, unless we move Prince and want at least one veteran at the 3.

Great post Kombo. The only reason I can handle Detroit trading Prince is we have so many guys that can play his position. Other than that he is our most versatile player and just a great guy to have on a team. I'm sure he's probably our best asset but I'd really want to see something big if he was involved. And yes, Matt Barnes is not a difference maker. Right now we need a difference maker.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Great post Kombo. The only reason I can handle Detroit trading Prince is we have so many guys that can play his position. Other than that he is our most versatile player and just a great guy to have on a team. I'm sure he's probably our best asset but I'd really want to see something big if he was involved. And yes, Matt Barnes is not a difference maker. Right now we need a difference maker.

Barnes isn't a difference maker, but Barnes, Jerebko,Daye and Rip(will be 3 guard lineup at times, especially if Bynum re-ups) can replace what Prince brought to the table. So if Prince would bring back a piece like Biedrins or David Lee or some other impact big man, you have to do it.

I wonder if Knicks would send us D.Lee in sign and trade for Prince,Dejuan Summers and either 1 or 2 first round picks. Here's why I think they would. A). They keep him away from NJ,who is clearly trying to be NY's biggest rival and wants Lee bad. B). They aren't re-signing him anyways, might as well get something. C). They want to keep their cap space next year, but also be competitive to some degree this year. Prince gives them a quality starter at SF for one year, Summers is a nice young player who would be a nice backup 4 in that offense(and doesn't corrupt cap space) and they get the draft picks as well. I don't see a large expiring out there as valuable(on the court) as Prince, so that gives us an edge. Then you have to try and trade Maxiell somewhere, ideally to a team with cap space. Villanueva,Wilcox,Daye for Pietrus and Gortat after that?

Wallace Monroe Wilcox.
Lee Villanueva Maxiell
Jerebko Daye
Rip Gordon
Stuckey Bynum
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

I was all for getting David Lee here last year instead of signing Charlie. I'd be happy bringing him in.

The more I learn about Greg Monroe, the more I'm learning he isn't going to be the center of our future. He's going to be the PF. I'd like to see what he does over the next week in summer league and find out what position he looks like he'll fall into more naturally in the NBA. If he ends up being more of a 4 than I'd trade for Gortat.

The thing with getting Lee is we know he can produce at either position. While he is more of a PF the Knicks did have him at Center plenty. He and Monroe could play at the same time on the court, and we could be fine with two PF's. It's still not enough to be back to elite status though.

I think the Pistons were just looking at Barnes in case they trade Tay. Dumars doesn't want to turn the position over to the 2nd year guys yet. If we sign him I would say Tay is as good as gone.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: