Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-05-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
TrueDiesel3

Default Who is the best CB in the NFL?

Aso? Revis? Wood? In my opinion, I think Woodson is the best out of them all, but I also think that he's the most different between the three. I think all of these guys are on another level than every corner in the league. Bailey use to be in this type of talk, but he's pathetic now. Woodson is just amazingly versatile. Aso is hard to judge, because he plays for the Raiders and his scheme has him only playing on one-side, so that makes it even tougher to judge him.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:20 AM   #2
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who is the best CB in the NFL?

yeah Aso is impossible to judge, i think he COULD be very overrated though...

he doesn't get targeted because of HIS TEAM...not because he is so amazing...

I saw him live in Dallas last Thanksgiving and Tony burned him 3 or 4 times that day...I think every single time he threw toward him...

teams do not have to throw against the Raiders because they can't stop the run, and because most teams already have a healthy lead and don't need to throw anyway...

and if they do need to throw there are 3 or 4 much crappier DBs to target...

there really is no need to throw at Aso...that is why no one does

I have

1. Revis
2. Woodson
3. Nnamdi

and then after that it is a mess of people all tied for like the next 7 spots
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:26 AM   #3
TrueDiesel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
yeah Aso is impossible to judge, i think he COULD be very overrated though...

he doesn't get targeted because of HIS TEAM...not because he is so amazing...

I saw him live in Dallas last Thanksgiving and Tony burned him 3 or 4 times that day...I think every single time he threw toward him...

teams do not have to throw against the Raiders because they can't stop the run, and because most teams already have a healthy lead and don't need to throw anyway...

and if they do need to throw there are 3 or 4 much crappier DBs to target...

there really is no need to throw at Aso...that is why no one does

I have

1. Revis
2. Woodson
3. Nnamdi

and then after that it is a mess of people all tied for like the next 7 spots
Why do you believe Revis is better than Woodson? In my opinion, Revis is the better shut down guy, but Woodson is the better defender....if that makes any sense. Like, Cedric Benson or Clinton Portis may be better runners than Frank Gore, but Frank Gore is a shit load more talented and a shit load more versatile than Portis/Benson are....
Old 07-05-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Asomugha will remain as the best shutdown corner in the league this season as the Raiders have re-vamped their D-Line and linebacking core. there is no need to through Aso's way because the receiver isn't catching shit.

]
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDiesel3
Why do you believe Revis is better than Woodson? In my opinion, Revis is the better shut down guy, but Woodson is the better defender....if that makes any sense. Like, Cedric Benson or Clinton Portis may be better runners than Frank Gore, but Frank Gore is a shit load more talented and a shit load more versatile than Portis/Benson are....
kinda makes sense, but a CBs #1 objective is to shut down the WR...and Revis has proven to be the best at that in the NFL...everything after shutting down the WR is just a little plus in my book...
Old 07-05-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
TrueDiesel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
Asomugha will remain as the best shutdown corner in the league this season as the Raiders have re-vamped their D-Line and linebacking core. there is no need to through Aso's way because the receiver isn't catching shit.
Problem is....all the opposing team's offense has to do is shift their best WR to the side that Aso isn't on and then the offense will constantly score on the Raiders.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:04 AM   #7
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah, but that doesn't make Aso any less of a player.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:07 AM   #8
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Yeah, but that doesn't make Aso any less of a player.
that is why I said it is impossible to judge that guy...

I said he "COULD" be very overrated...

he could also be better than Revis...there is just no way to know, because no team needs to test him to win a game...
Old 07-05-2010, 03:08 AM   #9
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDiesel3
Problem is....all the opposing team's offense has to do is shift their best WR to the side that Aso isn't on and then the offense will constantly score on the Raiders.
or they just run...

I believe that the Raiders have been thown against the least amount in the NFL for the past 3 years straight...

teams just don't need to throw on them to win games...
Old 07-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #10
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'll tae Revis over Aso. Another thing about Aso is that he normally just plays one side of the field and doesn't necesasarily match-up with guys. Revis plays man up against anyone and everyone and basically always wins the match-up.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #11
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Revis, Scrabble, Woodson, yeah yeah, etc. underrated: Brandon Flowers, Leon Hall, Jabari Greer
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #12
1manfastbreak
just win

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Raiders play strictly man to man defense. Aso is also bigger than the avg cb in the league, he is 6'2". aso has just as big if nota bigger list of opposing receivers that he has locked up over the past couple of years, many of u may not know this though because he plays for the raiders and not the jets. espn slobbers all over revis' nuts. calling aso "overrated" is LOL funny. Guy gives up 7 receptions in a year and hes overrated. come on prime dont beat around the bush with "possibly overrated" i know deep down ur a raider hater!

Raiders pass defense has been in the top 10 the past couple of years. did their run d suck? yes. but that doesn't discredit all of the work that the secondary does. also having the worst qb in the history of the NFL operating your offense gives you zero chances to win a ball game.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
Raiders play strictly man to man defense. Aso is also bigger than the avg cb in the league, he is 6'2". aso has just as big if nota bigger list of opposing receivers that he has locked up over the past couple of years, many of u may not know this though because he plays for the raiders and not the jets. espn slobbers all over revis' nuts. calling aso "overrated" is LOL funny. Guy gives up 7 receptions in a year and hes overrated. come on prime dont beat around the bush with "possibly overrated" i know deep down ur a raider hater!

Raiders pass defense has been in the top 10 the past couple of years. did their run d suck? yes. but that doesn't discredit all of the work that the secondary does. also having the worst qb in the history of the NFL operating your offense gives you zero chances to win a ball game.
no one throws at him cause no one has to!

the Raiders don't get passed on, cause they are never winning games, no one needs to throw at them...just RUN RUN RUN...game over

I swear I have nothing against the Raiders and I love Nnamdi as a person, the guy is a class act...but the fact remains it is just to difficult to gauge how good he is IMO...

I saw him live...I watched him closley, since you can't watch him playh of TV...the camera is never on him...

Tony got some passes off on him...

he was targeted 28 times last year...and 21 of those 28 passes CONNECTED!!!...(75%)

Revis was targeted 111 times last year...and only 41 of those passes connected...(36.9%)
Old 07-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

check it:

1 Darrelle Revis NYJ 36.9
2 Brandon McDonald CLV 48.5
3 Leon Hall CIN 49.5
4 Mike Jenkins DAL 50.5
5 Andre' Goodman DEN 50.6
6 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie ARZ 50.8
7 Sheldon Brown PHI 51.2
8 Charles Woodson GB 51.3
9 Eric Wright CLV 52.8
10 Champ Bailey DEN 53.3
11 Brandon Flowers KC 53.8
12 Shawntae Spencer SF 53.9
13 Drayton Florence BUF 54.5
14 Quentin Jammer SD 54.9
15 Brandon Carr KC 56.0
16 Terence Newman DAL 56.4
17 Sean Smith MIA 56.7
18 Antonio Cromartie SD 57.0
19 Cortland Finnegan TEN 57.7
19 Domonique Foxworth BLT 57.7
19 Johnathan Joseph CIN 57.7
22 Bryant McFadden ARZ 57.8
23 Ike Taylor PIT 58.2
24 Aqib Talib TB 59.5
25 Jacob Lacey IND 60.2
26 William James DET 61.3
27 Carlos Rogers WAS 62.3
28 Ronald Bartell SL 63.4
29 Zackary Bowman CHI 64.0
29 Chris Johnson OAK 64.0
31 Derek Cox JAX 65.2
32 Charles Tillman CHI 65.3
33 Dunta Robinson HST 65.9
34 Richard Marshall CAR 67.0
35 Asante Samuel PHI 67.2
36 William Gay PIT 67.6
36 Terrell Thomas NYG 67.6
38 Chris Gamble CAR 68.0
39 Cedric Griffin MIN 69.9
40 Ronde Barber TB 70.0
41 Nnamdi Asomugha OAK 75.0

% of passes caught on those CBs when they were thrown at...

the problem is that of all those listed, Nnamdi was only targeted 28 times, and the next lowest after that was Carlos Rodgers who was targeted 61 times.

DRC was targeted the most, 120 times

that isn't like the end all be all stat for CBs, it doesn't show INTs and then after that TDs...doesn't show who is the #1 that covers the hard guys and it doesn't show who plays more man than zone...

but it DOES show that Nnamdi might is very hard to rank...cause no one throws at him...but when they do they usually connect
Old 07-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #15
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Revis proved to be the best corner in the league this past year. If you were to cross compare positions, Revis just had a season like Brady throwing 50 touchdowns or Manning throwing 49.

Also, the Raiders don't strictly play man to man, I have no idea where whoever said that got that idea. They play zone.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: