Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #31
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Douchebags on the court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I mean, if the game is stopped and everyone's surrounding me seeing whether I got a concussion then yeah I'll call the foul, but too many times I play against people who go in, get rejected horribly and touched maybe just a little bit, and call a foul as the other 7 guys are back down the other end of the floor. I hate slowing the game down, I mean I'm not trying to be tough I'm just trying to keep the game going.

And I don't know if this ever happened to you, but have you ever seen a guy shoot the ball, get blocked and call a foul? Cause that's happened before and it's pretty stupid.

You know what I like to do is ask the guy, who hit him and where he hit him, where's the foul? Make him have to explain it in front of everybody and embarrass him. If he knows he'll have to explain his calls, he'll be less likely to call bs fouls

But anyway, you do have to acknowledge if you have a good look and you get hacked and lose possession of the ball and not call anything, you're only hurting your team- no difference between that and getting the ball stolen from you or getting blocked. From a good chance to score to a turnover.

Sometimes I get pissed and I do that, not call fouls and let it feed my anger and play harder. Just remember it's a lost possession for your team.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #32
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

Over the past year I have only called a foul twice, and one of them I wasn't going to call, but my teammates wanted to me to call it.

I'm not a big fan of calling fouls unless the foul was done on purpose of course or when its completely obvious hack to everyone. I hate calling ticky tack fouls. I especially hate it when a guy drives really hard to the rim, and calls a foul due to incidental contact. Just shit like body hitting body, and the shooter doesn't get touched anywhere above the stomach, and all the defenders just have their hands directly up in the air, but the shooter still calls a foul because he actuallys expects not to get touched anywhere.

And these people always seem to call the foul after the shot is missed and rebounded and the fastbreak has already started and almost everyone is already down the floor.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:20 AM   #33
LBJFTW
Duncan>Kobe>Lebron

LBJFTW has no real reputation yet.

I've got an interesting one that just happened this past week. I was playing at a local outdoor court in a game of 21 with 2 other guys. (I typically play full court 3-4 days a week) All of us are in our early 30's. Along comes some middle schoolers on their bikes, and they take a moment to sit on the side lines and watch us play. After the game, one of the kids walks up with a constipated look on his face and asks if we want to play some 2 on 2. I say "sure, shoot for teams?" The cocky little SOB replies "us 2 vs 2 of you" "we both play on our school team so that should even things out, since you older guys haven't played with each other." He then proceeds to start talking trash.

We sit there stunned, and agree to school these kids real quick so that we can go back to playing 21. The third guy watches on from the sideline, with a big shit eating grin on his face, already knowing what's about to transpire.

The game begins and we decide early on that were not going to post up these poor kids, or play make it take it, or drive, or take inside jumpers, and we simply shoot from beyond the arc to keep it somewhat fair. Keep in mind, that we didn't drive once during the game. I hit 3 threes and my teammate hit three himself. We win 12-0. I felt bad because these kids fell for simple drive fakes, pump fakes, step backs, cross over step backs, and anything else we threw at them....not to mention the fact that they didn't even score. We would pump fake, get one of them in the air, then pass it, just to play around with them. They were decent players for their age, but their lack of bball IQ was evident, and they got thoroughly destroyed. Feeling defeated these poor kids hop on their bikes, and humbly ride on home.

Hopefully they learned their lesson thinking that they were going to "school the old guys"
LBJFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #34
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

^^^
It's ok. You did it because you love them, and you want them to learn the lessons of life. This hurts you more than it hurts them. Remember that.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #35
LBJFTW
Duncan>Kobe>Lebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJDW
^^^
It's ok. You did it because you love them, and you want them to learn the lessons of life. This hurts you more than it hurts them. Remember that.

I think we did it because we really don't take kindly to disrespectful kids. I'm more than willing to work with kids that are willing to learn. These kids were reluctant to become educated, but learned a valuable lesson none the less.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #36
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Regarding foul calls, I do not believe in letting calls go just for the sake of the flow of the game. As another poster mentioned, if I'm blowing past my man every time down the floor, snaking into the lane and getting rocked everytime I go the rack (yes, to the point that I can't power through it) then why would it not be a foul? Some people say, "Be stronger and finish through every foul." I say, "Be a better defender and guard me without giving me a hard foul each play."

It's conflicting, because sometimes it feels like I call a lot of fouls. But just as often, there seems to be an old guy like the original poster mentioned who likes to bear hug me on drives, a hot shot who likes to undercut me when I elevate or just a dude who concedes that he cannot stop me legally so just puts a hit on.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #37
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJFTW
I've got an interesting one that just happened this past week. I was playing at a local outdoor court in a game of 21 with 2 other guys. (I typically play full court 3-4 days a week) All of us are in our early 30's. Along comes some middle schoolers on their bikes, and they take a moment to sit on the side lines and watch us play. After the game, one of the kids walks up with a constipated look on his face and asks if we want to play some 2 on 2. I say "sure, shoot for teams?" The cocky little SOB replies "us 2 vs 2 of you" "we both play on our school team so that should even things out, since you older guys haven't played with each other." He then proceeds to start talking trash.

We sit there stunned, and agree to school these kids real quick so that we can go back to playing 21. The third guy watches on from the sideline, with a big shit eating grin on his face, already knowing what's about to transpire.

The game begins and we decide early on that were not going to post up these poor kids, or play make it take it, or drive, or take inside jumpers, and we simply shoot from beyond the arc to keep it somewhat fair. Keep in mind, that we didn't drive once during the game. I hit 3 threes and my teammate hit three himself. We win 12-0. I felt bad because these kids fell for simple drive fakes, pump fakes, step backs, cross over step backs, and anything else we threw at them....not to mention the fact that they didn't even score. We would pump fake, get one of them in the air, then pass it, just to play around with them. They were decent players for their age, but their lack of bball IQ was evident, and they got thoroughly destroyed. Feeling defeated these poor kids hop on their bikes, and humbly ride on home.

Hopefully they learned their lesson thinking that they were going to "school the old guys"

Those kids must be pretty stupid if they think 30 makes you an "old guy". I hate middle schoolers. If I were you I would've backed them in, dropped shoulders and thrown elbows. They're way too cocky nowadays and need to be put in their place.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #38
LBJFTW
Duncan>Kobe>Lebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Those kids must be pretty stupid if they think 30 makes you an "old guy". I hate middle schoolers. If I were you I would've backed them in, dropped shoulders and thrown elbows. They're way too cocky nowadays and need to be put in their place.

It was more of a three point shooting drill for us honestly.

Story #2

I was at an open gym about a year ago and we had this guy that would grab someone for the intentional foul if he was covering you and you pulled down a rebound. His reasoning was that it would prevent the fast break, which is a ***** move.

This guy was pissing off not only my team, but his own teammates as well for slowing down the game. Anyways, my friend gets a rebound under the basket and he tries to foul him. My friend elbows him in the chest, and knocks him right on his ass right under the basket. Kicks the ball out to me for the 3, and after it drops, it bounces off this guys head, with him still sitting under the basket, puzzled look and all. His teammate inbounds the ball, and the team takes off down court without him, leaving him sitting there.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:55 AM   #39
aintn0busta
Can barely lace up my sneakers

aintn0busta has an OK reputation so far

A few weeks back, I was shooting around at a court when a father and son come over and ask if they could shoot around. Of course I said yes and I just went back to shooting around. Anyway, I notice right away that the son has a bit of a mouth on him but not much game to back it up and after about 5 min of us all shooting around, they challenge me to a game of 21. Bit of background, I'm only about 5'9", I wear glasses, and I'm pretty skinny. I guess the son didn't think I would put up much of a challenge seeing as he was a good 3-4" taller than me.

In any case, I ended up winning the game by 5 points and it was mostly me and the son going at it. I had him biting on almost every fake and even shot straight over him a few times. There was one point where he just dropped a shoulder and drove straight into me but his father ended up calling the foul on him. I ended up getting him back by getting him to bite on a fake and then jumping up into him.

Best game of 21 I played in a while.
aintn0busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #40
DevDaAllstar
Can barely lace up my sneakers

DevDaAllstar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Regarding foul calls, I do not believe in letting calls go just for the sake of the flow of the game. As another poster mentioned, if I'm blowing past my man every time down the floor, snaking into the lane and getting rocked everytime I go the rack (yes, to the point that I can't power through it) then why would it not be a foul? Some people say, "Be stronger and finish through every foul." I say, "Be a better defender and guard me without giving me a hard foul each play."

It's conflicting, because sometimes it feels like I call a lot of fouls. But just as often, there seems to be an old guy like the original poster mentioned who likes to bear hug me on drives, a hot shot who likes to undercut me when I elevate or just a dude who concedes that he cannot stop me legally so just puts a hit on.

Exactly. I call my fouls esp if they doing it on purpose (trust me, people do that). There's also people who don't know any better and don't know what's a foul and what isn't
DevDaAllstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #41
Kobe8
Banned

Kobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

You Did The Right Thing, But He Should Know Better.
He Prolly one of those kid who failed to get into the NBA, And Hes Making it up for it now by torturing you KIDS. LOL

Bring a Swiss Knife with you at all times. America Can Get Pretty Nasty 24/7.
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #42
rfoster24
Decent playground baller

rfoster24 has not been impressing people

Well I live by a gym that I go to all the time and play ball and ive had a fukin old man like you talk about that was big, mostly fat, but anyway the ***** got in my face cuz i was on the opposite side of the court shooting w/ my friends and all of the sudden him and his gay son walk up and say 'gimme your ball for a sec'. I say what for? cuz i didnt no but after the ***** starts cussin me out for no reason, so of course im with my friends so i cant just ***** out so 5 mins. later after im talkin shit to both him and his gay son I look up and see his ball stuck on the rims side. Never told me his ball was stuck or else i woulda lent him the ball right away. gave him some shit about havin no hops too lol. omg that dude was a fukin asshole.

but anyway moral of story, ur 15. He touches you once and his ass gets hauled off to prison. Talk some shit.
rfoster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: