Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 07-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
gutterballer733
Kids at the park dunk on me

Default Re: Bye bye Boris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Diaw and Chandler would have cost almost 20 mil in payroll next season. We're definitely clearing room for something. CP3?
God I hope you're right. I'm torn on this trade. I love getting rid of Diaw, but for some reason I'm not so stoked about dumping Chandler. This also makes Toronto a legit playoff contender in my opinion, and capable of beating us out for one of the last 3/4 playoff spots. Id still like for us to go after a shooter, but there are slim picking as far as FA's go at this point.
gutterballer733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #17
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Toronto is getting significantly better than us. Even last year, we were competing with 4 or so other teams for the final playoff spot till the last 2 weeks of the season when we stayed consistent and others didn't.

I don't see the Pacers or Raptors getting significantly better in the sense that they'll be better than us. Other teams, like the Nets, Knicks, Bucks and Bulls are getting better, but they aren't going to be way better than us. Remember, the Bucks got super hot last year which was the only reason they were the 5 seed. You've also got to remember than Cleveland probably won't be a playoff team this year, 8th seed contenders (like us) at best.

No need to fret just yet. Let's wait and see how each team plays with their new additions before we lose all hope.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 AM   #18
PowerGlove
By Any Means

Can someone tell me if I am wrong?

Didnt Boris come into the season out of shape?(worried raptor fan)

Calderon couldn't defend his own lunch in grade school so dont expect him to be great in charlotte.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:57 AM   #19
gutterballer733
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGlove
Can someone tell me if I am wrong?

Didnt Boris come into the season out of shape?(worried raptor fan)

Calderon couldn't defend his own lunch in grade school so dont expect him to be great in charlotte.
You sir are correct, Boris was out of shape to start the season and it drew the ire of Larry Brown. With that said, he did get it together towards the middle of the season and it wasn't much of an issue after that.

And I dont think anyone is expecting Calderon to be more than an average defender (hopefully he can be at least average). Having the best defense in the NBA last season, we have enough guys like Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson who can pick up the slack defensively. We do need him to be creative and bring some life to the offense though, which I think he can do.
gutterballer733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:07 AM   #20
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterballer733
You sir are correct, Boris was out of shape to start the season and it drew the ire of Larry Brown. With that said, he did get it together towards the middle of the season and it wasn't much of an issue after that.

And I dont think anyone is expecting Calderon to be more than an average defender (hopefully he can be at least average). Having the best defense in the NBA last season, we have enough guys like Gerald Wallace and Stephen Jackson who can pick up the slack defensively. We do need him to be creative and bring some life to the offense though, which I think he can do.

I think the coming season it will be critical to utilize mid-range. LB prefers to set up plays and use up almost all of 24 seconds of a possession. However, too often possessions come up empty because plays are either broken or stopped because passing lane is blocked, not to mention the majority of the plays are set up for either Jax or Wallace. Chandler sucked badly on offense and Diaw, for some damn reason, often stood in 3pt territory, which was probably why we saw Felton took more midrange shots then ever in his career only because he had no choice.

Having Calderon at PG can at least open up some midrange opportunities. Although Felton did shoot some more midrange last year, he was not supposed to be the guy to be counted on when the shot clock winded down. Let's just hope Calderon can improve to the likes of Deron Williams.

We now have a team that can perhaps outrun its opponents. Augustin is not a bad PG but LB's offense is just too static and bureaucratic. LB should understand that not many people can memorize tens of plays. I mean if a guy holding the ball sees an open teammate not written according to the playbook, he should pass to that teammate, not the player who might be tightly defended but is directed in the playbook. LB really needs to be more creative on offense and put away his ATO textbooks away for some time.

BTW LB and his assistants have composed an after time out plays (ATO) collection, I remember the book being hundreds of pages long.

God damn this is basketball and if LB really want to be a basketball scholar he should have traded for some players with full bachelor's degrees. Well Okafor was one but he just stinked.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #21
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Okay so no deal yet and on the radio this morning they were saying that MJ has second thoughts.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #22
Laxlen
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Okay so no deal yet and on the radio this morning they were saying that MJ has second thoughts.

apparantly the deal is dead and if I'm your GM I would walk away if this is how MJ is going to respect my job.

With George Steinbrenner now gone (RIP) looks like MJ wants to become the supreme micro-manager!
Laxlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #23
TarCat
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxlen
apparantly the deal is dead and if I'm your GM I would walk away if this is how MJ is going to respect my job.

With George Steinbrenner now gone (RIP) looks like MJ wants to become the supreme micro-manager!

Maybe he is smart. Why would you trade Chandler for Calderon? The latest rumor is that Chandler and Ajinca to Dallas for Dampier, Carrol, and Najera. Another source says that the Bobcats will "very likely" waive Dampier. Who knows?
TarCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

According to Bonnell the deal is dead, which really means neither GM has good phone service right now and the deal will get done by the weekend.

On the other hand, if that rumor with Dallas is true, I don't want to waive Dampier, he's good. Let's waive Diop instead.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #25
Laxlen
I brick open layups

Does this make MJ's word as valuable as LBJ?

*very angry*
Laxlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:52 AM   #26
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

Well, MJ considered this trade unworthy, so this trade possibility has diminished.

Also, I saw an article somewhere saying LB does not favour Calderon and his European basketball mindset.

However, I'm pretty sure MJ and LB are working hard to sell Diaw.

Tyrus Thomas, I believe, does worth $8 million a year, but only under the guidance of LB, a definite 1st class coach.

Scott Skiles and Vinny del Negro could never extract the potential out of Thomas.

BTW we now own Dampier and his $13 million-nothing contract.
Trade Dampier for Andre Miller and Greg Oden? if possible of course.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #27
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

NOOOO Greg Oden. Too injury prone. I'd rather have Chandler than Oden.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #28
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
NOOOO Greg Oden. Too injury prone. I'd rather have Chandler than Oden.

Oden has just 1 year left and is disposable anytime.

Andre Miller is the man we need. Pure PG, terrific passer, solid defender, just what LB desires.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #29
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Heh at Raps' fans being angry...

We were almost stuck with a guy making 10 million for 3 years (trade kicker) who can't defend a chair playing for Larry Brown. That was a terrible trade for us.

At least the Dampier contract gives us major flexibility (remember Minny wanted Damp for Al Jefferson, but Dallas was insisting on including Carroll/Nagera) and could possibly net us something really good. The money is pretty close to even over all too.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:12 AM   #30
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Dampier also said he'd be open to allowing us to waive him, then resigning with us for far less than he's making now. This is a great idea should we not get any takers for a good PG.

Even if we do resign Dampier, we have Boris and Diop for trade bait.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: