Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > San Antonio Spurs Forum

San Antonio Spurs Forum San Antonio Spurs message board - San Antonio Spurs forum

Old 07-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #106
SinJackal
Banned

Default Re: Tiago Splitter officially a San Antonio Spur

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldstotch
butthurt if you ask me.

i am looking forward to the tiago-duncan combo next season. like the above said. the spurs haven't had a stable big man with duncan since david robinson. maybe with tiago and hopefully a solid 2nd season from blair will help limit duncan's minutes a bit. he did log 31 minutes last year, which is good. hopefully he'll stay at that average next season. then again, popovich is excellent at managing the team's minutes and allowing everyone to achieve their maximum with the least amount of minutes to allow rest.

i am still a bit concerned about the spurs perimeter game. outside of ginobli and parker, they got no one.

James Anderson bro. Best shooter of the 2010 draft. Jefferson was supposed to be a 36% 3pt shooter career.. .but he certainly wasn't last year. Really though. . .when you look at it, starting the season healthy = upgrade to the roster. Jefferson fits in better, Splitter to clog the paint, Blair a year older, and Anderson to help bang threes for us. It's lookin' good ^_^
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #107
SinJackal
Banned

Since no one has yet, I'm gonna post James Anderson's stats last year. He was the other good addition for SA this season.

James Anderson: 6'6", 208 lb SG. 35" veritical.

22.3 PPG on 15 FGAs per. 45.7% FG%, 34.1% 3pt%

Jacked up 6.6 threes a game (54% FG% on 2 pointers)

5.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.4 steals and 0.6 blocks per game. 34.1 mins per.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #108
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldstotch
i am still a bit concerned about the spurs perimeter game. outside of ginobli and parker, they got no one.

Hopefully James Anderson is as good as advertised, as a player who's used to gunning. Even if he can be like a Raja Bell/Daequan Cook kind of player offensively (predominantly spot up shooter), that would help the Spurs, and provide the role that Roger Mason failed at last season. He is just a rookie so I'm not putting too much stock in him. George Hill is pretty solid with and without the ball too. He (Hill) is actually the first Spur to outscore Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker in a playoff game since the '07 postseason - personally I think he has a bright future. Spurs could use a long three more than anything, Al Harrington kind of player or something.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:19 AM   #109
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Just wanted to add, the Spurs might have another title now if Duncan would agree to play C. With the dearth of Centers in the NBA, true Cs anyways, he wouldn't have to bang against bigger players often, if ever. He has lost a step or 2 and needs to play with an more athletic player, which is usually going to be a PF as far as big guys go. The Spurs could have Duncan and Luis Scola up front if Duncan wasn't so stubborn about staying at PF. Duncan/Splitter will start, but I want to see Blair/Duncan out there together often as well.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #110
SinJackal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
Just wanted to add, the Spurs might have another title now if Duncan would agree to play C. With the dearth of Centers in the NBA, true Cs anyways, he wouldn't have to bang against bigger players often, if ever. He has lost a step or 2 and needs to play with an more athletic player, which is usually going to be a PF as far as big guys go. The Spurs could have Duncan and Luis Scola up front if Duncan wasn't so stubborn about staying at PF. Duncan/Splitter will start, but I want to see Blair/Duncan out there together often as well.

Duncan ends up defending all the tough big men anyway, and every good big man defends him every game. He's basically C regardless. . .and does play with Blair sometimes. The only prob last year was that Blair couldn't defend any decent scoring bigs in the post. He could get them elsewhere and outrebound them, but he got scored on too much by people like Boozer or Gasol. SA didn't have enough money to go out and sign someone like Boozer without trading off TP or another piece they need.

Also, about Scola. . . Spurs drafted him a friggin LONG ass time ago, and he refused to play with SA for like half a decade. . .Spurs finally said screw it, then Scola suddenly took far less money than he was demanding from SA and went to play for Houston. Not really the kind of guy they wanna bring back to their team, ya' know?

About Blair/Duncan though, when they were on the floor together (just to go back into that a little more), they didn't seem to co-exist perfectly well. Blair would try to take rebounds away from Duncan, or dive for a ball that was clearly going right to Duncan with no chance of anyone else getting it. He also didn't rotate properly when he was on the floor with Duncan (at least a few times that I'd seen). They didn't clash too much, but I did notice that during a few of the games I'd seen.

All that said, I still love Blair :P But the guy clearly needs to learn how to play with other quality bigs on the floor at the same time. He hasn't learned to rely on his team enough yet. I believe this is one of the things he'll be working on in the summer league right now, along with defending PFs better so he can defend the Odoms and Boshes of the league a little better.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #111
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

there has never been an issue of duncan playing 'center', as far as i know. he knows he predominantly plays the role pretty much since robinson retired, or at least since kurt thomas/oberto left. he just doesn't want to be listed as one. that's why bonner gets listed as the starting 'C'.

and i agree on blair having poor chemistry with duncan. i hope he can improve that, but most of all that he can be at his best with splitter, since those two are currently the 'bigs of the future' for the team. plus, something tells me blair/splitter will be the big guys off the bench for at least the first month or two. i figure dyess might start, but they'll really save him for the playoffs.

but when you get down to it, blair and jefferson performed best when ginobili was on the floor. those 3 + the big not starting (presumably splitter for now) should be the bench. and that is easily the best bench in the league. the starting lineup isn't as strong as it could be, but there should be no drop-off at anytime during the game.

i think parker will have a bounce back season. healthy + contract season + knowing he's looking to get out to new york + he and duncan running the offense around hill and shooters means he won't have to stress too hard to find jefferson, which was a pretty big problem.

edit: and this also assumes they get matt barnes or rasual butler, who seem like no-brainers of the available wing players left. raja bell just isn't big enough. he's a much better player than bogans, but i would hate to see them playing a 6'5" guy at SF again.

Last edited by brooks_thompson : 07-14-2010 at 01:24 AM.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:39 AM   #112
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

Tim Duncan has played more center in the last few years than he ever did before, and the Spurs haven't really won a thing. The last championship the Spurs won they had Fabricio Oberto starting at center, Francisco Elson and Horry off the bench, Bonner warming seats. The Spurs let DeJuan start a good amount of games last season (in part due to Bonner breaking a bone in his shooting hand), but once McDyess got rolling later in the season it was clear (with his sweet jumper) he was the best choice to start with Duncan. Keep in mind, there were roughly 20 different starting lineups last season. That number is really high for SA. Next season I think stability will be found much earlier on in the calendar year (perhaps it's wishful thinking, but keep in mind last season Michael Finley was an opening day starter, Ratliff was being given a (poor) shot at establishing a role (even getting a couple starts), Blair was just a rookie, and Mason who is now gone had a horrible season)...

This next season looks different - starting with the Brazilian Tiago Splitter. Him starting at center and being a factor in the paint, and DeJuan Blair working on expanding his range to play PF, are good things for SA, even if Duncan might still shift to center depending on match ups and lack of speed/quickness. The Spurs play better with bigs like Splitter/Rasho/Nazr in the starting unit. Also, Richard Jefferson (who is not unskilled, and is a good help defender for a SF, finished 2nd in blocks for the season, 3rd in blocks in the post season) won't have lofty expectations that come with being the second highest paid player on the team, and players usually do better in their second season with us (assuming he re-signs). If James Anderson turns out well as a young swingman, and George Hill continues to play his game, the Spurs are looking at another 50+ win season and a puncher's chance in the playoffs. The bench is where SA needed to improve, they've done OK so far.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 AM   #113
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus

wtf, duncan has played centre primarily for 4 years. splitter may actually allow him to move back to pf....maybe. he hasnt had a skilled big to play with since drob retired. i smell one last title run from san an- given health.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:12 AM   #114
SinJackal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
The bench is where SA needed to improve, they've done OK so far.

Their bench is almost undebatebly the best in the entire NBA by far. By itself, it's like a 40 win team in the east.

PG: George Hill
SG: Manu Ginobili
SF: DeJuan Blair
PF: Antonio McDyess
C: Matt Bonner

See my point? Other than Bonner anyway, that's a stacked ass bench at every position. Blair can also play PF (hopefully), and McDyess can manage at C just fine as well. Ginobili is a top SG in the league easily. Assuming they had their own bench, I'd seriously think them a near .500 team in the east. It's too bad they didn't get Shaq, or they would seriously have an extremely overpowering bench.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #115
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

vous ne pas jouer dejuan blair a centre!

that idea blew my mind so much i had to ad lib french i remember from high school.

but i do agree on the bench being the best. they scored the most last season. and with a vet SF pickup that will continue.

edit: plus jefferson should come off the bench if they get that SF
Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 AM   #116
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

The Spurs may have technically had one of the best benches last season, but a lot of that had to do with Ginobili and Hill coming off the bench for the first half/most of the season. During the playoffs both of them were starters, and it's half the reason we beat the Mavericks (shortened the rotation, played our best players 30+ minutes) and half the reason our team ran out of gas against Phoenix. Players like Jared Dudley and Goran Dragic exposed our bench as lacking those same kind of impact, meaningful-minutes players. Whether it's in the next month or closer to the trading deadline, Parker is probably on his way out of SA (leaving Hill the starting PG), and it's not surprising to see Ginobili play starter-minutes anyways... That's where the Spurs could afford to improve their bench, not necessarily for big men, but more so for small forwards and shooting guards. I've heard the FO is looking at the vet James Jones, he's definitely a reliable shooter, and he'd be good for something close to the minimum or LLE. One thing is for sure, the Spurs could use a Bruce Bowen-like player, and Keith Bogans isn't that, nor was Ime Udoka. Perimeter defense could use improvement, for every team really.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #117
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerliu2010
Well, a shocking news, isn't it ?!
welcome to my web to get NBA favourite shoes:nike dunk sb JUST DO IT!

way to waste your time registering
Old 07-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #118
Nero Tulip
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnofJPR
Spurs? I watched their games when forced to. If there has been a more boring team to watch in the history of the NBA, than the San Antonio Spurs, please let me know.

Only a Spurs fan would willingly waste a couple of hours of their life that they will never get back watching a Spurs game.

Sounds like you shouldn't watch basketball. American Idol would probably suit you better (that or a Heat/Lakers game).
Nero Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #119
icemanfan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursdynasty420
lol these kids are hilarious with these comments. 11 straight 50+ win seasons and all of a sudden we are done..
The 2nd best record in the league from 69 to present. Only the Lakers have won more. I can live with that.
icemanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 AM   #120
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

i was going to mention james anderson ...

i like the guy. he won the big 12 player of the year award and has done a significant output with oklahoma st. however, we all see how these good to great college players end up in the pros. the spurs getting him at 20 in my opinion was a steal.

i watched anderson play a good bit during conference play and the ncaa tournament. he was good during the regular season, but when conference tournament and postseason tournament (nit / ncaa) came, he didn't do so well. also i saw him as an antoine walker chucker. maybe i might have some better insight on him after he goes through some popovich and duncan tutelage.

leopoldstotch is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: