Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #16
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Default Re: The Texas Rangers are the sports soap opera of the year and nobody knows it

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Dude i love the nba but the nba isnt all that close to baseball in terms of US popularity.
show me some sort of metric to support this. and, no, yearly attendance is not acceptable, unless it adjusts for the difference in arena/stadium size and # of games.

as an example, the lowest attendance % last year was the nets at just under 70% and more than half of the teams in the league had attendance over 90%
(http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct)

I would bet that blows MLB out of the water.

I will agree on one point. there are many more casual fans who say they like baseball better than the nba (with its thug culture and so forth), but in terms of diehards, I dont see it. besides, those casual fans are the same ones who tune in for the playoffs and act like they've been watching all season.

sure, people tune in their bball on the radio or tv, but its mostly background noise in the workshop or during your nap, etc. very different mentality in terms of watching a game.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
AirGauge23
Sound the Charge

Default Re: The Texas Rangers are the sports soap opera of the year and nobody knows it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
He looked so happy in those photos.

Alcohol + some type of drug will have that effect on you.

Don't ask me how I know.
AirGauge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #18
HAzE024
KRYPTONATE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
thats because no one pays attention to baseball outside of a handful of diehards. people root casually for their regional team and thats about it. SMH at people saying baseball is the #2 sport in the US. No one cares about it till the post season, and then they act like they have been following all season.

wow I guess I'm glad I'm from NY where the Yankees are THE most important thing in sports. We have true fans who actually know and follow their team, despite our image as rowdy, clueless fans with Staten Island accents.

Hey guess where the money for our payroll that everyone cries about came from??? A real fan base. I guess if you're going to beg for a salary cap, there should be a shitty fan cap too, right?
HAzE024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #19
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
He looked so happy in those photos.
I'm sure he had a blast, until he woke up...

apparently he can't remember that night actually...

at least he understands he can't do that anymore...

Last edited by -playmaker- : 07-12-2010 at 08:46 PM.
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAzE024
wow I guess I'm glad I'm from NY where the Yankees are THE most important thing in sports. We have true fans who actually know and follow their team, despite our image as rowdy, clueless fans with Staten Island accents.

Hey guess where the money for our payroll that everyone cries about came from??? A real fan base. I guess if you're going to beg for a salary cap, there should be a shitty fan cap too, right?
the shitty fans came from the lack of a cap...

get rid of the cap and you will see strong fan bases form...
Old 08-05-2010, 02:58 AM   #21
kentatm
NBA Legend

Nolan Ryan and Chuck Greenberg have defeated Mark Cuban and Jim Crane in the auction for the Texas Rangers
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #22
kentatm
NBA Legend

here is the play by play of the days events from the Fort Worth Star Telegram.

Quote:
FORT WORTH, Texas -- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and Houston businessman Jim Crane submitted the highest bid for the Texas Rangers, it was revealed today in bankruptcy court, a result that provoked cries of foul play from the competing group and led to angry exchanges in the courtroom halls.

The bid from Cuban's group exceeded by $25 million the bid submitted by the longtime front-runners, a group headed by Pittsburgh businessman Chuck Greenberg, who counts current Rangers president and Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan in his potential ownership group. Greenberg's group bid $306 million in cash, part of a $510 million bid that includes assumed liabilities.

The matter will now proceed to auction, and the parties involved are scheduled to re-convene around 5:30 p.m. ET. It is highly expected that Greenberg's group will seek more time to properly evalute Cuban's bid. Greenberg's group must exceed by at least $2 million the bid submitted by the Cuban-Crane group to stay in the running for the team.

Greenberg's group immediately objected, saying the bid presented "was not a qualifying bid" and that they do not necessarily regard it as higher. One of Greenberg's attorneys, Tom Lauria, said he will need 12 hours to evaluate their bid before the proceeding continues to auction. Lauria said in court that they "do not believe in any fair view their bid can be better on a heads-up basis."

Outside of court, Greenberg said that if his group does not win the bidding, "absolutely we will appeal. There were rules that were established, and they seem to be a moving target. Let me know what the rules are before we start.

"They submitted an unqualified bid last night. There had to be a qualified bid at 8 p.m. The bids were due 18 hours ago. We still have not seen their bid."

After the hearing, Lauria had an angry exchange with Lou Strubeck, the counsel for the chief restructuring officer. Lauria told Strubeck: "You've been trying to shove it up my ... for the last half hour," which incited an even saltier exchange between the two.

The Rangers have been in bankruptcy for more than a year. Major League Baseball has already cleared Greenberg's group, a process a Crane-Cuban team would have to endure, and Greenberg had brokered a deal with Rangers owner Tom Hicks to buy the team. But the club's many creditors objected and the matter has landed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

Greenberg said MLB's approval of Crane and Cuban could take months, which immediately devalues their bid.

There was a lengthy delay to courtroom proceedings today as the Cuban-Crane group revised its bid and the court assessed its true value.

6:43 p.m. ET: The auction has begun, fast and furious. The Greenberg group bid $320 million, $2 million over Cuban's total. Cuban's group has countered at $335 million. Groups to reconvene at 7:15 p.m. ET. We will continue to update as the process continues.

It should be noted that the auction numbers thrown out do not account for assumed debt owed to creditors. So the actual purchase price right now has soared to almost $550 million.

8:13 p.m. ET:
The principals have reconvened in the courtroom -- late, as usual -- and we are expecting further bidding to commence shortly.

8:50 p.m. ET: The price for Cuban's group just went up a few bucks -- they sprang for pizza delivery at the courthouse. Nobody said justice was swift, cheap or gastrointestinally friendly. Multiple eyewitnesses indicated the pizza came from Perotti's of Fort Worth.

10:07 p.m. ET:
After admonishing both sides for the lengthy delays, Judge Russell Nelms announced that both sides' bids are considered neck-and-neck. He then ordered a two-minute break and said any further recesses will be limited to 30 minutes. The Cuban group is now up to make a bid. Greenberg is upset, stating that they submitted a $323 million cash bid that should have trumped Cuban's bid. Greenberg claims the worth of Cuban's bid was only $287 million, and that they would need to increase their bid by $40 million to trump the Greenberg group's bid. While Nelms is seeking a resolution with some dispatch, Greenberg attorney Tom Lauria, citing what he perceives is an unfair process, states, "We are not prepared to continue."

10:24 p.m. ET: An attorney for Cuban's camp, Clifton Jessup, now has the floor and has told the court: "My client wants to own this club. We're here to put money on the table. We're here today to make a bid.''

10:31 p.m. ET: Mark Cuban has made a $355 million bid for the Rangers, way up from his $335 million bid. The process is now unfolding as one might have imagined when Cuban joined forces with Houston businessman Jim Crane: They are testing the resolve and resources of Greenberg's group with their deep pockets.

There will now be a 30-minute break.

11 p.m. ET: Lauria, Greenberg's attorney, is vigorously defending his group's bid, telling the chief restructuring officer in court during a recess: "Our money is worth more than (Cuban's) money because you get it now." This is the gist of the difference between the bids -- the ease of Greenberg's approval vs. the bushel of cash Cuban and Crane are willing to offer.

11:38 p.m. ET:
After reconvening, Nelms accepts the Greenberg group's request for an additional 30-minute break.

12:40 a.m. ET: The Greenberg-Ryan group has increased its bid to $365 million, pulling ahead of the Cuban-Crane consortium, which last went to $355 million. Judge Russell Nelms has called for a 15-minute recess. The total value of the Greenberg-Ryan offer is about $585 million compared to $563 million for the opposition.

1:09 a.m.: And we have yet another lead change. Mark Cuban has taken the biggest leap of the night, upping his bid to $390 million, $25 million over Chuck Greenberg's most recent bid. Including assumed debt, Cuban's total bid is exceeding the $600 million mark. Greenberg is expected to respond shortly. And by shortly, we mean 10 to 20 minutes. That's been a relative term in a certain courtroom for the past 15 hours.

1:30 a.m.: Greenberg does not blink. He submits a $385 million cash bid, which has a higher present value than Cuban's previous bid of $390 million because he can close the transaction next week. Cuban and partner Jim Crane still need MLB approval and likely wouldn't close for another six months. Cuban's people are huddling and are expected to respond within 10 minutes.

In a courtroom drama that lasted nearly 15 hours, Pittsburgh businessman Chuck Greenberg and Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan fended off a rival bid from Mark Cuban emerged victorious in a bankruptcy court auction, winning the right to purchase the Texas Rangers with a $385 million cash bid.

The two sides bickered and bid for the right to purchase the team from Wednesday morning until well past midnight in Texas, until the final bid from Greenberg, submitted at about 12:25 am. CT, was not answered. Houston businessman Jim Crane, who partnered with Cuban on his bid, shook Ryan's hand and told the current Rangers president they were done bidding, ending a contentious and dramatic battle.

link

Last edited by kentatm : 08-05-2010 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #23
AK47DR91

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-

Hamilton...wasn't he a cokehead or a heroin junkie before being a star?
Old 08-05-2010, 03:15 AM   #24
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Honestly: why would anybody outside of Texas care about the Rangers?
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:14 AM   #25
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
here is the play by play of the days events from the Fort Worth Star Telegram.

link
who did you want to win that?

I wanted Cuban to win...
Old 08-05-2010, 04:16 AM   #26
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
Honestly: why would anybody outside of Texas care about the Rangers?
that is like asking why would anyone outside of any sports team's city care about that team...

the Rangers are a force to be reckoned with this year...MLB fans would care I think...
Old 08-05-2010, 04:34 AM   #27
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
that is like asking why would anyone outside of any sports team's city care about that team...
Not true at all. Some teams have more drawing power with both the media and the fans.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:37 AM   #28
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
Not true at all. Some teams have more drawing power with both the media and the fans.
well, someone outside of Texas might care about the Rangers because "they are the sports soap opera of the year and nobody knows it"...

and because they might beat their team out in the post season...

sports fans care about small market teams too...
Old 08-05-2010, 04:50 AM   #29
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
who did you want to win that?

I wanted Cuban to win...

I kind of preferred Ryan/Greenberg though either group is an upgrade over Hicks
Old 08-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #30
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
I kind of preferred Ryan/Greenberg though either group is an upgrade over Hicks
the Ticket had me convinced that Cuban would never let up on this...

then they began to debate what Ryan's role would be once Cuban won...

I don't know much about this Greenberg guy, but I guess he has super deep pockets...I just hope he is willing to spend on the team itself in the same way I know Cuban would do...

had Cuban won, I would bet Cliff Lee would be a Ranger next year...now I have no idea what to think...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: