Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Posterize's 15 Days Til Training Camp Thread

The Browns start training camp July 23rd but most teams start the week of the 26th (including the Eagles), exactly 15 days from now. So in that time I'm going to post one thing each day that's on my mind, an opinion, an analysis, a prediction, or just random thoughts until training camp begins. Hope this sparks up some discussion on the upcoming season, some debates, etc. First up...

My thoughts on the Donovan McNabb trade, what it means for the Washington Redskins this year, and what it means for the future of the Philadelphia Eagles.

First off, I want to put it out there that I was one of the guys who was doubting the possibility of a McNabb trade happening this summer. I honestly didn't believe that Andy Reid had the balls to trade away the guy he had spent the last decade with and had backed on so many occasions. I knew there was a possibility of it, and that they were seeking what interest was out there, but I honestly didn't see it coming. When it came accross the screen that it was the Redskins I was in complete shock. McNabb has been constantly criticized throughout his years in Philly and while some loved him and some wanted him gone, it was genarally known that McNabb's play here was a great run. Fact is no one remembers 2nd place or NFC championship appearances. Just remember despite what you hear from some Philly fans...no one here actually believed McNabb "sucked" or any other negative comment toward him. It was based on years of frustration of losing and he took the heat. When the Redskins come to town I don't have a doubt in my mind that he'll be cheered when he runs onto the field for the first down...and rightfully boo'd the rest of the way.

From the Redskins perspective: I thought it was an excellent chance to go out and get a top 10 QB with a history of winning while also setting back a divisional rival. The upgrade from Jason Campbell to McNabb will be instantly recognized by Skins fans. But I do question just how good they will be? How many wins does this upgrade in QB make a 4-12 team? And how big of a window do they have to win? McNabb along with many of his "weapons" on the offensive side of the ball aren't getting any younger. They have a defense that I would love to have as my own but questions still arise. Immediately after the McNabb trade they went from championship contender, to "well they're not as good as the Cowboys", to "will they even make the playoffs?" in a matter of weeks. I think the trade for McNabb made a lot of fans and media members overly optimistic about their team too soon, forgetting that Haynesworth has his issues and the offensive weapons on this team outside of Cooley aren't spectacular. The good thing is that you don't have to worry about those weapons affecting much of McNabb's play. He spent years playing with guys who were quickly out of the league upon leaving the Eagles because they couldn't get a job. He made them affective. Greg Lewis, James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, and Freddie Mitchell just for examples. I don't have any doubt he can work with what he's given in Washington.

From the Eagles perspective: The only part of the deal that can really be criticized is that it was to a divisional rival. While it wasn't the smartest decision I wasn't as upset about it as many. In my opinion we're not ready to win big right now, and no matter where McNabb plays next year won't change that. His contract status made the trade inevitable and we drafted Kevin Kolb for this very reason. Speaking of Kevin Kolb, he had 2 very good showings in the games he started last season. He's known as an accurate QB who was made to play in the west coast offense. He can move around behind the line, which he'll need to with the Eagles line, but is not on McNabb's level of mobility. One thing that you've got to like is that away from the line, Kolb has been given all the weapons he needs to succeed. Celek, DeSean, Maclin, Avant, Weaver, and McCoy are all athletic and great receiving targets that will make his transition much easier. I love that both Celek and DeSean spoke of how excited they were to grow with Kolb, referring to themselves as the "Young Guns". (sidenote: those DeSean comments about McNabb were taken out of context if you didn't know, I was referring to those comments) Can't wait to watch this offense grow and gel as a team for years to come.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Posterize's 15 Days Til Training Camp Thread

I am not a fan of the Mcnabb trade as I do think it made both teams better...not worse

I wasn't ever that scared of Mcnabb for some reason to be honest...even when we lost 44-6...I still didn't think that highly of him...years before that I wasn't that worried of McNabb...

Kolb is following a trend that Rodgers and Romo and Palmer all did...and that is sit on the bench a few years and gain mental knowledge as well as freindships in camp...

I am scared that Kolb will follow in the same footsteps as those I mentioned and become something to fear...

McNabb in Washington doesn't scare me, but Campbell REALLY didn't scare me...lol

and Washington always plays Dallas hard...now it just got harder...

just gonna have to whoop everyone I guess...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
I am not a fan of the Mcnabb trade as I do think it made both teams better...not worse

I wasn't ever that scared of Mcnabb for some reason to be honest...even when we lost 44-6...I still didn't think that highly of him...years before that I wasn't that worried of McNabb...

Kolb is following a trend that Rodgers and Romo and Palmer all did...and that is sit on the bench a few years and gain mental knowledge as well as freindships in camp...

I am scared that Kolb will follow in the same footsteps as those I mentioned and become something to fear...

McNabb in Washington doesn't scare me, but Campbell REALLY didn't scare me...lol

and Washington always plays Dallas hard...now it just got harder...

just gonna have to whoop everyone I guess...
I've told you a couple times that my dad is a Cowboys fan and so is my best friend. When I was at my friend's watching the Cowboys/Eagles playoff game this year he made a comment where he said "you know I always used to hate playing against McNabb, but I think I'm starting to like it". I think it says something about how much he's fallen despite what the national media wants to acknowledge. The fact that it's not only Philadelphia fans who are criticizing him these days, but also fans of other teams who don't respect his play that much anymore.

You're the first Cowboys fan I've heard admire what Kolb is capable of though.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I've told you a couple times that my dad is a Cowboys fan and so is my best friend. When I was at my friend's watching the Cowboys/Eagles playoff game this year he made a comment where he said "you know I always used to hate playing against McNabb, but I think I'm starting to like it". I think it says something about how much he's fallen despite what the national media wants to acknowledge. The fact that it's not only Philadelphia fans who are criticizing him these days, but also fans of other teams who don't respect his play that much anymore.

You're the first Cowboys fan I've heard admire what Kolb is capable of though.
That will be pretty sick if you guys found a franchise QB right after Mcnabb...takes some teams YEARS to find a Qb worth a shit.

But letting a QB grow on the bench first like that is the best way for a QB to come into the league IMO...

he showed promise last year no doubt...
Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Something I didn't put into the OP, I believe the Skins should have went after TO. I'm with -pt- in that I believe TO still has a lot left to offer, I don't believe him to be a locker room problem (just an arrogant attention seeker), and I think he could really help the team. They went out and got some over the hill guys in Parker and Johnson who I see as being done (especially LJ who I saw in person last year), why not go after one who can still contribute? He's one year removed from a 10 TD season with a good QB, had previous GREAT success with McNabb, keeps himself healthy and in shape, and I believe he would sign for a contract that is worth offering. I mean look at what he signed in Buffalo for...I don't think it's all about money with him or anything. This is a team with a #1 target in Cooley coming off of injury, a #1 receiver in Moss who isn't a #1 and has lost a step or 2 after going over 30, and Randle El went to the Steelers. Who is their #2 or #3 receiver? Can a non-Redskin fan name them?

You never know if McNabb is really speaking his mind or if he's just afraid to step on toes/disrespect someone else...it's been the case his whole career...but if he was truthful in his backing of TO to come to the Skins then they should've hopped on it.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board

Not sure who the true no. 2 WR is for Washington, but I'll take a guess and say, isn't Devin Thomas (from MSU) and Malcolm Kelly (OU & from my home city) supposed to see some REAL playing time this season?
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #7
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Kelly is a f*ckin beast...swear I am not just saying that for homeristic reasons, yes I am biased but I have seen all his college games and that kid has f*ckin swagger...

he is also 6'4" and 230 lbs...he is big target

and yeah TO to the skins is also something I don't want to see happen cause he could remind us all that he is still TO...
Old 07-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

I don't see Kelly ever being very consistent. But really...how many teams in the leauge would trade their #2 receiver for whoever the Skins #2 is this season?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #9
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

That "Reggae Bush" commercial for the ESPYs cracks me up every time.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

This is my "All Un-acknowledged Team". Guys who I believe are great players but don't get the attention they deserve by both the national media and by posters on this site. They can also fall into the "underrated" category or the "just not known yet" category. There is no real strict criteria for this list. Just that I don't think they get the respect or attention they deserve for their talents in one way or another.

David Garrard - I sometimes wonder what Garrard could have done in his career if he wasn't slowed by the drafting of Leftwich. He's a guy who's accurate, has a strong arm, can throw on the run, and is one of the most mobile QB's in the league. Amazing play with his feet. This was a play he made in the playoffs leading his team to a clutch victory, following that up with a 278 yd/2 TD/1 INT performance against the unbeaten Patriots in the next round. He's had success while never having a WR better than Maurice Jones-Drew.

Jamaal Charles - He's a guy who is in that Felix Jones/Leon Washington/Darren Sproles mold but with more size than those guys. Explosive runner who can hit the home run play whenever given the ball. Good receiver out of the backfield and could be lethal if used like a Brian Westbrook in the short screen game. He's a top 5 guy in the league in making defenders miss with his agility in my honest opinion. Season highlights. That play at 4:00 was one of my favorite of the season. Had 3 guys on his back, 1 running straight towards him, and still was able to avoid the tackle and go deep.

Sidney Rice - It's crazy to me that Percy Harvin almost seemed to receive more praise last season than Sidney Rice. At one point or another in his career Rice is going to be a top 5 receiver in this league. Plays like this are what separates great receivers from good ones. Catches like this and this are what you hope to get from your star receiver. He's got great hands, offers a big 6'4" target, and a great vertical where he can rise up and grab it out of the air like Plaxico Burress. Should be a top WR taken in fantasy drafts this year.

Brent Celek - One of the top up and coming TE's in the NFL and a part of the Eagles "young guns" nucleus. May have a better year this year than last as he showed a connection with Kevin Kolb in KK's two starts, 8 catches/104 yards in both games along with a TD in the second. In 3 playoff games in '08 he averaged 6 catches, 50 yards, and a TD in each game...showing his promise for this season. Season highlights. While DeSean is the guy stretching the field for Philly Celek is the underneath target who is an 80/1000 TE. Had a better season last year than Chris Cooley has ever had, yet is widely thought to be the 3rd best TE in the division.

Antoine Winfield - One of the least talked about corners in the league. He's the best pure tackler at the position in my opinion and is spectacular in run support on the outside. I wish I could combine his talents with Asante's. Example of Winfield laying the lumber. Winfield making a play. This is a guy listed at 5'9" 180 making these hits. He's getting up in age now but still a favorite.

Justin Tuck - He's on this list more because the Giants had a bad year and I think some forgot what a monster he can be. I don't expect him to come up in top 5 DE debates, but he is certified top 10 despite his bad year. There hasn't been a player on the Giants defense I've feared more than Tuck the last 3 seasons. He's a big athletic freak who can line up on either side, gets double teamed constantly, and still finds a way to make a huge impact. Adding to his athleticism, he was 2nd among all defensive linemen last year in passes defended behind Jolly from GNB.

The whole team:

Quote:
QB- David Garrard
RB- Thomas Jones
RB- Jamaal Charles
WR- Sidney Rice
WR- Hines Ward
WR- Donald Driver
TE- Brent Celek
DE- Robert Mathis
DT- Jonathan Babineaux
DT- Vince Wilfork
DE- Justin Tuck
LB- London Fletcher
LB- Bart Scott
LB- Shaun Phillips
CB- Mike Jenkins
CB- Antoine Winfield
S- Nick Collins
S- Tanard Jackson
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #11
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Felix is much larger than Jamaal Charles...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
Felix is much larger than Jamaal Charles...
Ok, he's bigger than Washington/Sproles. I think I grouped them all together because they all play like smaller backs. They're not going to truck anybody. And "much larger" is a stretch.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Ok, he's bigger than Washington/Sproles. I think I grouped them all together because they all play like smaller backs. They're not going to truck anybody. And "much larger" is a stretch.
Felix is "much larger" than life...

I think of all those you listed, Garrard, Winfield, and Tuck are the best listed as really "unacknowledged"

Charles and Celek and Rice are pretty much new to the game, and I actually think Rice got a decent amount of exposure, but he is still probably underrated to the general public...
Old 07-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

That Garrard run against the Steelers still pisses me off.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
AirGauge23
Sound the Charge

AirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Charles is the best RB in the AFC West. No doubt about it. I think the Chiefs will fight for the 2nd spot in the division. Don't know about Playoffs.

Ya'll forgot Quentin Jammer. Guy doesn't get enough credit. He busts his ass every play. QB's don't throw the ball his way much. That should tell you something.
AirGauge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: