Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #16
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Posterize's 15 Days Til Training Camp Thread

It's a huge year in the career of Carson Palmer. Each of the past few years, he has had a legit "excuse" as to why he hasn't been on top of his game. Whether it's been him recovering from injury, or not having enough consistent targets to throw to, there always seems to be something going on.

He should be fully healthy, and the Bengals got a lot of new faces for him to throw to. Can he ever return to that 2005 form? This may be the year.

Hopefully for the Bengals, in terms of the rushing attack, Ced Benson avoids a suspension for his situation from last month.

The defense should remain solid. 4th overall last year. Depth at safety is a bit of a concern.

Baltimore took steps to get better, and Pittsburgh may improve once big Ben returns, so it's a tough division. Combined with a tougher schedule, and we have our work cut out for us.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:16 PM   #17
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Why I don't believe in Alex Smith

Of the 3 quarterbacks that were taken in the '05 draft, it has been the #1 pick that I've been the least impressed with and the last I would want running my team. Yes I have become a huge Aaron Rodgers fan but it shouldn't be debatable at this point who you would rather have between the two, and I would also take Jason Campbell on my team before Alex Smith.

My biggest problem with Smith is that he plays well enough when given good protection and a good pocket, but gets the "deer in the headlights" look when pressured out of it. He can't make consistent throws on the run and often looks to get rid of the ball by throwing it out of bounds instead of attempting to keep the play alive or continuing to look down field for a receiver. He gives up on a play long before he needs to. The rare times he's able to roll out and make a play are when the play is designed to go that way as a screen to Gore. When he is pressured from the weak side he sees the blitz coming because of his concern with it but starts to run for the sideline with his head down, ignoring down field receivers, and throws the ball out of bounds a second or 2 before he really needs to...giving up on the play before it is completely dead. When pressured from the right he attempts to get the ball out of his hands too early and throws it into opposing players' hands.

Before the SF/Philly game I talked a lot on here about Smith's problems when faced with pressure and said if Philly was able to get pressure on him there was no chance of him playing well. It played right into their gameplan. 20-37, 1 TD, 3 INT's, and 3 sacks.

I'm not sure if he's afraid to get hit or what. He has the arm to throw down field, decent but not great accuracy, and average athletic ability. He has great weapons around him in Davis, Crabtree, and a pass catching back in Gore. It's a mindset he needs to instill.

1. Learn to take a sack before forcing it to the other team's players.
2. Don't give up on a play too early when faced with pressure.
3. Continue to keep your head up and look down field for receivers breaking loose. You have the ability to make a throw on the run, but can't do it with your head down.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #18
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I know this is a basketball site but there isn't one sport that gets me more hype, anxious, excited, whatever than football.

The build-up: It's pretty much a marketing idea in its own right. The fact that you have to wait a whole week to go from game to game and listen to nonstop talk about how your team is preparing for the next game. You get to listen to all the analysts speak for the whole week about who will win and why and by the end of the week you're just amped for the game. When it gets to game time there isn't a thing in the world that could distract you, you're locked in.

The rivalries: Other sports just can't compare with their rivalries. It doesn't matter if the Cowboys, Giants, and Redskins are 16-0 or 0-16, I hate them just the same. Other sports have what are more "temporary" rivalries where you dislike a team for a season or 2, maybe 3...but the real hatred for that other team never lasts. There is hatred for other teams in football that is just in your blood. The Mets are the Phils' only real rivalry and even that has died down some in the last year or so. The Sixers don't even have a rivalry since they couldn't keep up with Boston. Talking shit to other fans is what makes sports so great.

The nature: It's been known forever that humans love violence. And football delivers with that. Who doesn't love this shit?

The atmosphere:
Going to a baseball or basketball game or even hockey game is just an "outing with the boys" or just to spend time with your family. Going to a football game is an event. If the game is a 4pm start you're pulling into the parking lot at no later than 9am. You're going to be setting up tents, tailgating and BBQ'ing up a storm, drinking beers, hitting on hot girls with David Akers jerseys showing their stomachs, playing beer pong or that game where you throw a sandbag into a box....and that's just the stuff you do in the parking lot. Give them your ticket and you can go listen to a live band or go down on to the field to take pics. It's like an all day festival at a football game. Can't beat it.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #19
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^^Good post. Baseball is my favorite sport, but you are right. The buildup, and rivalries, are incredible. The football teams I hate (Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, etc) I hate MUCH more than I hate my most hated MLB teams. I went to both Bengals vs. Steelers game last year, and I remember the back/forth I had with some people. It was awesome.

People know not to ask me to do anything else on gameday Sundays. I usually roll with my black Palmer jersey on gamedays. Recently got an orange Cedric Benson jersey, so I'll switch those up.

It's shaping up to be a sweet fall. I'm gonna be bugging the bartenders at the Buffalo Wild Wings I go to to put the Reds pennant chasing games on one TV, and the Bengals on the other
Old 07-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #20
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Forgot to mention what Sunday and Monday Night Football turn into. Even regular day games. What other sport has big gatherings of friends, family and co-workers to watch a single game? Every single week? And in the case of SNF and MNF...it may not even be your team that you're gathering to watch. Think about that...gatherings of those people to watch a regular season game in which nobody really cares who wins. How many people do you know gather to watch a regular season basketball/baseball/hockey game as a group?

Quote:
It's shaping up to be a sweet fall. I'm gonna be bugging the bartenders at the Buffalo Wild Wings I go to to put the Reds pennant chasing games on one TV, and the Bengals on the other

How would you rank the popular of the Cincinnati teams within the city?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #21
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246

How would you rank the popular of the Cincinnati teams within the city?

Right now, the Bengals, but if the Reds continue to win, it will turn back into the baseball city it used to be.

I have always felt that baseball rules the east/west coast, and NFL is king of the midwest, but at its core, Cincinnati is one of the rare exceptions.

Years of losing really cut down on the baseball fanbase, and even now, it's tough sell to get people back. In some ways, I'd say they partially lost a generation of fans, but the worst seems to be behind them.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #22
Lebron Bryant
Go Patriots!

Lebron Bryant has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Right now, the Bengals, but if the Reds continue to win, it will turn back into the baseball city it used to be.

I have always felt that baseball rules the east/west coast, and NFL is king of the midwest, but at its core, Cincinnati is one of the rare exceptions.

Years of losing really cut down on the baseball fanbase, and even now, it's tough sell to get people back. In some ways, I'd say they partially lost a generation of fans, but the worst seems to be behind them.

Philly and Pittsburgh are football 1 places. In New York and Boston, baseball 1. Midwest without a question is football.
Lebron Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron Bryant
Midwest without a question is football.

I think St. Louis and Chicago are the exceptions.

The Cards, I'd venture to guess, sh!t all over the Rams and blues in terms of local popularity, and in Chicago, I'm guessing that the Cubs take the title as the most popular team.

But yes, in Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indy, etc.....the other sports are just "time passers" until football starts.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #24
Lebron Bryant
Go Patriots!

I agree about St Louis but not Chicago. I'm gussing it's more of a Bears town than anything else.
Lebron Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #25
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Found this on another forum comparing Chicago's sports teams in popularity

http://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...t-popular.html
Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #26
Lebron Bryant
Go Patriots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Found this on another forum comparing Chicago's sports teams in popularity