Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Miami Heat Forum

Miami Heat Forum Miami Heat forum - miami heat message board

Old 06-19-2006, 01:21 AM   #1
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation
Default Is Hack-a-Shaq much different than Intentional Walks??

I lot of people do not like it when teams employ the Hack a Shaq routine during crunch time perhaps thinking it's a cheap tactic. My question is: Is it really that much different in comparison to a baseball team walking Bonds or Pujols in a tight ballgame? They foul Shaq knowing there is a big possibility that he will not score just like a baseball team will walk a slugger knowing there is a possibility that he will score also.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:30 AM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Pretty much.

It's a perfectly fair thing to do. The team that does it risks it giving him wide open uncontested shots. I'm surprised it isn't utilized more often with Shaq and Ben Wallace.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:37 AM   #3
HoosierDaddy13
Kids at the park dunk on me

HoosierDaddy13 has no real reputation yet.

I don't care for baseball, but it's not quite the same thing as an intentional walk.

It's gotta be humbling for the self-proclaimed MDE to whimper on his way over to the bench in crunchtime. "I make 'em when they count" LMAO. Wade once again saved his ass.
HoosierDaddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

^ And notice Shaq had this mean scowl on his face when Riles took him out. Hell they most likely would have lost if he stayed on the floor. Shaq is an expert and deferring the blame on others, but in this case he can't be mad at anyone but himself.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Dallas f*cked themselves by using the hack-a-shaq and putting themselves in the penalty early in overtime.....

Why foul Shaq and use up your team fouls like that....they were simply stopping the clock and piling up fouls..they werent even gettin him on the line, just side inbounds and keep playing....Once they get in the penalty, all the sudden Wade is going to the free throw line every time Dallas touched him..

Bad coaching move by Avery
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #6
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

Like Rasheed1 said, it was an absolutely awful coaching move by Avery.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Dick Biggly
Good High School Starter

Dick Biggly has no real reputation yet.

There's nothing Barry Bonds or Pujols can do to stop being intentionally walked (other than maybe stop being so good?). Shaq could stop the Hack-a-Snaq by hitting his free throws, which he seems to be getting worse at.
Dick Biggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
JSub
Decent college freshman

JSub has decent reputationJSub has decent reputation

Hack-a-Ben is much more effective that Hack-a-Shaq.
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
djfleet
I airball my layups

djfleet has an OK reputation so far

it's not a bad strategy when employed properly, but the mavs really f'd it up last night. fouled out diop for nothing. burned up fouls when they weren't in the penalty. kept shaq out of the game for a grand total of about 30 seconds. pathetic. not to mention it completely ruins the game for everyone watching AND playing.
djfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Dallas f*cked themselves by using the hack-a-shaq and putting themselves in the penalty early in overtime.....

Why foul Shaq and use up your team fouls like that....they were simply stopping the clock and piling up fouls..they werent even gettin him on the line, just side inbounds and keep playing....Once they get in the penalty, all the sudden Wade is going to the free throw line every time Dallas touched him..

Bad coaching move by Avery
Co-sign. Horrible move from Avery.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #11
Bill Swerski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
My question is: Is it really that much different in comparison to a baseball team walking Bonds or Pujols in a tight ballgame?
It is different, because when Bonds/Pujols walk, it's far more advantageous for their teams, than O'Neal @ the foul line for Miami.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #12
Bill Swerski

BTW, calling hack-a-Shaq when you're not in the bonus is str8 retaaaaaadead
Old 06-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #13
adizm_55
I airball my layups

adizm_55 has decent reputation

I agree that there was absolutely no reason to foul shaq toward the end of that game. Tjey wasted fouls to give the heat the ball out of bounds and put them in the penalty. Absolutely idiotic.
adizm_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:16 PM   #14
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

it's completely different

In basketball: You send Shaq to the line, he misses, you grab the rebound, now you can score.

In baseball: You walk Pujols, you have the next batter coming up where he can hit a home run and score
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: