Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Brian Westbrook signs with 49ers

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...-close-to.html

Probably could of put this in the offseason thread but...this is my dude right here! Glen Coffee's retirement probably had a lot to do with it along with Robinson being horrible. Just question how they'll use him.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Re: Brian Westbrook signs with 49ers

I like the signing for the 49ers. He's a nice change of pace for Gore in the backfield. I know they like to pound it with the running game but getting a guy like Westbrook can only help.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

I do like Westbrook but I hate the 9ers more then anything. So hope he fails on that fruit add team.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

was hoping he'd sign with the Skins, but we already have 3 or 4 good backs anyway so its just a shrug of the shoulders for me. i wish the best for him in San Fran also. i think he'll do good there as a change of pace guy behind Gore, along with Dixon.
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Great signing for the 49ers. Gore has a history of injury problems and having Coffee(retired), Robinson(not a RB) as your backups are frightening. My only problem is that he's pretty similar to Gore although Gore is a RB that will bang heads while Westbrook will juke you out. Both are quick, fast, great receivers ,etc. Like the signing and word is that his knees are fine. He'll get tons of carries but the niners still need that short yardage back that they need, hopefully Dixon can be that guy.

Also why wouldn't the Eagles resign him? The deal is a 1yr contract with 1.25 guaranteed.. Are the Eagles that cheap? Seems like they are dumping their franchise icons, McNabb, Westbrook, Dawkins, etc..

Last edited by knickballer : 08-17-2010 at 01:15 PM.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

^There's nothing that Westbrook does that McCoy doesn't do better at this point. The Eagles have stayed competitive for the last decade because they move on from those "icons" when there's nothing more they can add. Westbrook didn't even get 8 carries a game last year, serious trouble staying healthy. It's the reason he got very little interest.

Westbrook wasn't "not re-signed", he was released. He had 3 years left on his Eagles contract. It saved them 7.5 mil for this season. It's a good signing but he shouldn't be given more than 6 carries or so. He should be to Gore what Chester Taylor was to AP the last 2 seasons.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
ROCSteady
Galactus Is Hungry

wanted to see him on 3rd down in WSH but between Clinton, LJ, Torain and K. Williams, there wasn't much of an opportunity for carries. Shanny has been quoted as saying that he thinks Ryan Torain of the next Terrll Davis. Looked really sharp 1st game
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
wanted to see him on 3rd down in WSH but between Clinton, LJ, Torain and K. Williams, there wasn't much of an opportunity for carries. Shanny has been quoted as saying that he thinks Ryan Torain of the next Terrll Davis. Looked really sharp 1st game
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...p-the-dep.html

^ Slow Willie moved ahead of them now
Old 08-17-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

I thought DC would have an edge. He's from there, his brother is on the team, his relationship with McNabb. I guess playing time was the biggest factor. If Glen Coffee doesn't retire things may be different.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

decent insurance I suppose but he won't see the field much if at all... Gore is our bell-cow maybe if it's a passing down and we need to give Gore a breather that's when Westbrook will play. Although Gore has missed time each of the past 3 seasons so if he goes down hurt Westbrook is much better insurance than what we had. But if anyone thinks Westbrook will get any type of chunk of the workload they are mistaken.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: