Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-19-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Unhappy OT: Employment question

I started my jo bas a Paint Chemist in May, and the company that I work for knew I was having an ACL reconstruction in September and were fine with that.

For the last 2 months I have been getting weekly compensation from ACC (NZ's accident compensation company). I am now fit for work again, my doctor has cleared me for full duties, and work say there is no work for me, and I received the following text message from my boss:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiot boss
Hi Ryan unable to find any copies of contract. We will hold a position open for when the shop and CWA takes off. At present we are taking only couple hundred a week and cannot afford more staff. When you came on board in May we needed a full timer. You were never able to fulfil that position view health and other reasons therefore we had to make other arrangements. We have your number and will give you 1st refusal when a position arises.

So they want to offer me a job selling paint in a shop when I return? WTF? And until then I should survive without pay?

Do you guys think it's time to get my lawyer involved? I know NZ law is different from US law, but it seems pretty dodgy.

They gave someone else my job, so it's not like they can terminate my employment because there is no job for me.
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
AKADS
National High School Star

AKADS is considered somewhat coolAKADS is considered somewhat cool

Unless you can find the contract, if I yousigned one you have a small case but what would that do for you. Just open the paper and find a job bro can;t be that hard.
AKADS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Seņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeņor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADS
Unless you can find the contract, if I yousigned one you have a small case but what would that do for you. Just open the paper and find a job bro can;t be that hard.

Yeah signed a contract but they're saying they "can't find it". F*ckers.

It's easy to get a crappy job here, but it's hard to get something decent which I can actually use my education in.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
AKADS

But even if u got a lawyer and forced them to hire you do u think it would be a good work enviroment with how you got the job
Old 11-19-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

what is a "paint chemist"?
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:29 PM   #6
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Cedric
I started my jo bas a Paint Chemist in May, and the company that I work for knew I was having an ACL reconstruction in September and were fine with that.

For the last 2 months I have been getting weekly compensation from ACC (NZ's accident compensation company). I am now fit for work again, my doctor has cleared me for full duties, and work say there is no work for me, and I received the following text message from my boss:

So they want to offer me a job selling paint in a shop when I return? WTF? And until then I should survive without pay?

Do you guys think it's time to get my lawyer involved? I know NZ law is different from US law, but it seems pretty dodgy.

They gave someone else my job, so it's not like they can terminate my employment because there is no job for me.

If they sent you a text message that is a bad sign.

Show up in person and demand answers (politely)
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

lowblok has an OK reputation so far

Time to cross the Tasman my friend. Live it up in the QLD sunshine!! Although today is hotter than a mutha....
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Quote:
But even if u got a lawyer and forced them to hire you do u think it would be a good work enviroment with how you got the job

I've just discovered under New Zealand law, they have to pay me my full salary whether I work or not. I just need a job until January or so next year, it's pretty hard to find work just before the holiday season, not many people want to leave their jobs at the mo..... dammit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
what is a "paint chemist"?

I design paint. Tio2, Zn etc. Getting levels right, and performing extensive tests on paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
If they sent you a text message that is a bad sign.

I should have explained that better. I went in the other day, and they told me there was no work, then I sent him a message saying by law they should be paying me and I received that message.

My lawyer is on the case now. Hopefully I get some cashflow next week. Otherwise my car is going on the market again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowblok
Time to cross the Tasman my friend. Live it up in the QLD sunshine!! Although today is hotter than a mutha....

That's one of the only countries in the world that doesn't interest me. Australia is full of fat chicks, plus my ex lives i nQueensland, I don't want to look like a stalker.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
AirGauge23
Sound the Charge

AirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How much $$$ u making?
AirGauge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:12 PM   #10
AKADS

Move to Canada Ryan
Old 11-19-2006, 11:23 PM   #11
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

GoRapz has decent reputation

Shouldn't you get money if you were hurt? Guess thats only in Canada.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:27 PM   #12
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Your employer text messaged you?
MaxFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:43 PM   #13
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGauge23
How much $$$ u making?

NZ$45,000

Quote:
Move to Canada Ryan

First choice is staying here getting a new job, if not then it's Auckland, and last case scenario I go to Korea to teach, but I won't be healed in time to play basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRapz
Shouldn't you get money if you were hurt? Guess thats only in Canada.

I was being paid weekly fro mACC (national weekly compensation provider), but was told there was work for me at work, so I got signed up for work again through the doctor. Now I'm not entitled to weekly compensation because I'm healthy, and my employer all of a sudden has no work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Your employer text messaged you?

Because I messaged him, I was too angry to talk to him anymore, it took the anger out of it.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #14
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids is starting to rub some people the wrong waySupermanOnSteroids is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I'm not sure of the rules there, but if they can show that you were never able to fulfil the full time position that you were hired for, they can probably get away with it. I've had friens here in the military that got deployed and came back to find that they have no jobs, and even though there are laws against the military members losing their jobs this way, the companies were able to get away with it. So, unfortunatly you might have to resort to prostitution to make ends meet until you can find another job.
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:53 PM   #15
AirGauge23
Sound the Charge

AirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAirGauge23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How much is that in american dollars?
AirGauge23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: