Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Arrow "Literally" and other annoying pieces of current communication

"Literally" has joined "random" and "like" (I was like "no way" and he was like "yeah") as the new stereotypical/cliche valley girl expression. What's most annoying is the unbelievable frequency with which the rest of the statement makes "literally" wholly inaccurate.

"It was LITERALLY 200 degrees out today"

"I literally can't wait"

"It was literally a shit storm"

I pointed it out to my girlfriend and we've been laughing at the number of times it comes up. Train your ears to it for a couple weeks and get back to me, tell me it's not epidemic and embarassing. It's mostly female but I've heard a bunch of guys doing it too.

"Seriously?" and "Really?" I think you probably already know what I'm talking about but both words have become this one-word, generic, sarcastic expression when people are relaying or responding to someone's stupidity or lack of consideration, etc.

"You're gonna park like that? Seriously?"

ugh.

I've brought it up on here before but "swag/swagger" is right atop my list of played out social buzzwords too. It's like "bling" or "holla" or any of that shit that just sounds ridiculous now. I was getting my license renewed at the DMV and this kid was in there trying to pass his CD off to one of the clerks there "it's just a different type of swagger, y'know?" and it's just empty rhetoric that people are trying to turn into some quantifiable thing. It's so painfully stale. People who talk about "haters" too. If you think you have "haters" chances are you're a f*ck head.

What other ones do you guys have?

Ridonks made a great thread a while back... something along the lines of "Has Casual Complaint Taken Over Small Talk?" I love it. Social vocab and communication trends FTW.

Last edited by Lamar Doom : 07-18-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #2
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Default Re: "Literally" and other annoying pieces of current communication

The one I hate is "basically". To me, it seems that when anyone says that when explaining something, they are subconsiously saying "I think you are too fucking stupid to grasp even the simplest of concepts so I'm going to dumb this down as much as possible".
When people say "basically", I find it incredibly patronising and I feel like I am being spoken down to. I absolutely hate it.

Last edited by Manute for Ever! : 07-18-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #3
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
"Literally" has joined "random" and "like" (I was like "no way" and he was like "yeah") as the new stereotypical/cliche valley girl expression. What's most annoying is the unbelievable frequency with which the rest of the statement makes "literally" wholly inaccurate.

"It was LITERALLY 200 degrees out today"

"I literally can't wait"

"It was literally a shit storm"

I pointed it out to my girlfriend and we've been laughing at the number of times it comes up. Train your ears to it for a couple weeks and get back to me, tell me it's not epidemic and embarassing. It's mostly female but I've heard a bunch of guys doing it too.

"Seriously?" and "Really?" I think you probably already know what I'm talking about but both words have become this one-word, generic, sarcastic expression when people are relaying or responding to someone's stupidity or lack of consideration, etc.

"You're gonna park like that? Seriously?"

ugh.

I've brought it up on here before but "swag/swagger" is right atop my list of played out social buzzwords too. It's like "bling" or "holla" or any of that shit that just sounds ridiculous now. I was getting my license renewed at the DMV and this kid was in there trying to pass his CD off to one of the clerks there "it's just a different type of swagger, y'know?" and it's just empty rhetoric that people are trying to turn into some quantifiable thing. It's so painfully stale. People who talk about "haters" too. If you think you have "haters" chances are you're a f*ck head.

What other ones do you guys have?

Ridonks made a great thread a while back... something along the lines of "Has Casual Complaint Taken Over Small Talk?" I love it. Social vocab and communication trends FTW.

Swagger is one I don't get. Cockiness and arogance have a negative conotation, yet swagger has a positve conotation. All three mean the same thing to me.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

good one.

"I think so" is bad too because it's used instead of "I don't know" all too often.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

ugh. stuff i can't stand:

"douchebag" as the universal male insult. i thought this one would have been fazed out by now. 6, going on 7 years it has been the all-encompassing buzzword when talking about assholes, jerks, blowhards, and general scum. all of these groups of awful males have differentiating characteristics; it would not hurt to acknowledge it in order to be more specific about the type of person who is being talked about.

"not gonna lie, love it. LOVE it." a two parter right here. the "not gonna lie" usually leads to an ironic statement, hence the pre-emptive claim of not telling the truth (when the exact opposite is meant). in this case there's the "love it. (pause) LOVE it," or the gerund form that adds the modifier "kinda" (e.g., i'm not gonna lie, i'm kinda lovin' this.) in reference to something tacky, out of fashion, or generally accepted as lame. both are used predominantly by women/girls, and it's that pause and then the stress upon repetition of the phrase that just kills me. this is the average girl's go-to attempt at being funny.

larry david discusses "having said that" as a way to smooth over a criticism or complaint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhyGlGgXMxY

Last edited by brooks_thompson : 07-18-2010 at 09:33 AM.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 AM   #6
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
Swagger is one I don't get. Cockiness and arogance have a negative conotation, yet swagger has a positve conotation. All three mean the same thing to me.

I think there can be a line between confidence/bravado and cocky/arrogant, my issue is just how quickly it turned into an urban virtue that you can rank against one another. It's actually a good word, it just went viral and got over-embraced by the lowest common denominator
Old 07-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
the "not gonna lie" usually leads to an ironic statement

hahah, great one. "To be honest" is in the same category because of how often it's followed by the most benign statement that makes "to be honest..." totally unnecessary or nonsensical. Do they not realize what's implicit about a setup like that?

I still use "douchebag" sometimes, I'll check myself on that one.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Everything mentioned so far in this thread annoys me aswell. My girlfriend always says "not gonna lie.." and "to be fair..", all the f*cking time.

Quote:
People who talk about "haters" too. If you think you have "haters" chances are you're a f*ck head.
I've felt this way aswell, but you have the colossal retards that turn around and say..

"you know you've made it big when you have haters! yo, swag, werd, bruv, chirp!!!!!"

NO, you f*cking retard. If you have haters, it means you're a f*cking retard.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

overuse of "epic", improper use of "fail", and everything else that has ever come from a popular internet meme.

but that list is so long, it's probably better to stick to everyday conversation.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
ugh. stuff i can't stand:

"douchebag" as the universal male insult. i thought this one would have been fazed out by now. 6, going on 7 years it has been the all-encompassing buzzword when talking about assholes, jerks, blowhards, and general scum. all of these groups of awful males have differentiating characteristics; it would not hurt to acknowledge it in order to be more specific about the type of person who is being talked about.

"not gonna lie, love it. LOVE it." a two parter right here. the "not gonna lie" usually leads to an ironic statement, hence the pre-emptive claim of not telling the truth (when the exact opposite is meant). in this case there's the "love it. (pause) LOVE it," or the gerund form that adds the modifier "kinda" (e.g., i'm not gonna lie, i'm kinda lovin' this.) in reference to something tacky, out of fashion, or generally accepted as lame. both are used predominantly by women/girls, and it's that pause and then the stress upon repetition of the phrase that just kills me. this is the average girl's go-to attempt at being funny.

larry david discusses "having said that" as a way to smooth over a criticism or complaint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhyGlGgXMxY

This is going to sound so anal, but the bolded example reminded me of it; People who use 'state' verbs in the continuous tense, ie. love, hate, believe, etc. These verbs are always factual, not just current, therefor should only be used in simple and perfect tenses.
Example: The McDonalds slogan 'Im Loving It'. You either love it or you don't, it's not something that has a beginning and an end, thus it should be 'I Love It' or 'I Have Always Loved It'.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

ugh i keep coming back to this in between threads.

"nice" as a catch-all response to any piece of conversation.

"what have you been up to?"
"just working around the house, trying to fix my car engine."
"nice."

i'm sure everybody has a friend that uses 'nice' as a reflex too often.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
ugh i keep coming back to this in between threads.

"nice" as a catch-all response to any piece of conversation.

"what have you been up to?"
"just working around the house, trying to fix my car engine."
"nice."

i'm sure everybody has a friend that uses 'nice' as a reflex too often.

I think I'm that friend...
Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

it's fizzled out some but "that's the best ______ EVER" was running rampant there for a few years. is it really funny to constantly assign superlative to everything you like? how about you do some ace ventura and austin powers quotes for me while you're at it?

I'm guilty of "nice" too
Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

On ISH, one that bugs me is when people make threads entitled 'The official....'. What makes it 'official'? Does it give the thread starter some sort of gratification knowing that his/her thread is the 'official' one on the topic?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

I'm also guilty of being the 'nice' guy.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: