Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #31
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
9/10 of the people that have commented on this thread don't know what it's about. We all know that people were already living here before Columbus, what most of you don't know is that Africans were already in America before Columbus. All that talk about slaves being the first Africans on the American continent isn't true.
Does it really matter when the first Blacks came to America? The more important issue is the fact that Columbus only discovered a New World in the eyes of Europeans, not to the entire world. Of course there were people already living there, it didn't matter what their skin color was, wouldn't matter if aliens lived there first. It was a New Discovery for Europeans and because 75% of American heritage comes from Europe, that's the point of view the discovery is taught in.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #32
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

Enigmatism has an OK reputation so far

It matters when the school system and "American culture" at large teaches that Black history is basically living in the jungle, being a slave and Martin Luther King... utter BS... I would encourage people to read Nile Valley Contributions to Civilization by Anthony T Browder for a more scholarly, thorough approach to the subject and the implications...
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:50 PM   #33
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

vikings were here b4 colombus was. they have accounts of them fighting off native americans. some of them supposedly settled down in alaska(or somewhere like that) and mated w/ eskimos(or inutes, whatever). i saw a show about it and they found evidence of viking longhouses up there. i guess it also explains why eskimos are bigger than they were originally back then. average viking male was like 6'5". man, i bet they tore those little eskimo chicks up.

people also think sailors(can't remember if they were from china?) went around the world and influenced different cultures. somehow this explains why egypt and central american indians have similar stuff like pyramids. that one seems a bit too far-fetched for me, but it could happen.

i watch too many documentaries on the discovery and history channels.

Last edited by jbot : 11-21-2006 at 05:56 PM.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #34
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

this thread is kind of ridiculous. jerm wasn't just trying to bring to our attention that africans have explored america in the past. he was hinting at a white conspiracy to make black people look primitive. i'm tired of this "white man is keeping the black man down" crap. the black man is keeping his fricken self down.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #35
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
this thread is kind of ridiculous. jerm wasn't just trying to bring to our attention that africans have explored america in the past. he was hinting at a white conspiracy to make black people look primitive. i'm tired of this "white man is keeping the black man down" crap. the black man is keeping his fricken self down.
Thank you. I'm tired of getting blamed (as a white in general) for all the poverty and poor reputations blacks get. It's not our fault. (NOT BEING RACIAL, JUST BLUNT) Whites desegregated everything, yet some blacks still see that division. I really hate it when blacks refer to their neighborhood culture as "Black America". Just doesn't seem right.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #36
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Jerm has an OK reputation so far

Yeah, incase you haven't checked, more people died during slavery than during the holocaust. What they do in Germany is evidence of people showing real guilt for what their forefathers did. You guys in America? You're acting like tearing apart an entire generation of people is just another part of history.

Quote:
yeah i know who the nubians were, they werent black.

Yes they were. The present "Nubians" are a mixture of blacks and Arabs.

By the way, if you anything about ancient history you should know that the racial makeup of Egypt has changed over the past 3000 years due to the Arab invasion.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:24 PM   #37
Jerm

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark...egyptians.html

Final Wrath, the website above was designed for people like you.

Those are pictures of Egypt's earliest known kings. They sure do look like people your forefathers will call the N-word.

Last edited by Jerm : 11-21-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #38
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Timmeh & Final Wrath...
I can agree with your sentiment and frustration to a certain extent but if you really believe that as a society things are equal and fair then you are mistaken. But things have improved tremendously.
If you are telling me that after all those years of repressing a whole section of people in this country then all of a sudden in 1968 it became all love and a whole white society said lets embrace those people that were believed to be inferior you are sadly mistaken.
Just from an academic and social point 1968 things were desegregated to a certain extent but these people had no real formal education and no economic foothold in society. It does take time to assimilate into a culture.
I dont believe white people are holding down black people but the economic and social stigma has a lasting effect.
I will say this the plight of some of the black people in our society are self inflicted damage but mostly from inheriting uneducated and bad economic standing.
Of all the people that came to this country over the years eventually they were embraced or allowed to integrate into american society the people that had been here a lot longer werent...
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #39
final.wrath
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
Yeah, incase you haven't checked, more people died during slavery than during the holocaust. What they do in Germany is evidence of people showing real guilt for what their forefathers did. You guys in America? You're acting like tearing apart an entire generation of people is just another part of history.

none of my ancestors owned slaves... as a matter of fact my anscestors were abolitionists. besides why should people today have to make up for the sins of their forefathers? you do also realize that some african cheifs sold out their own people to be slaves? should they aplogize too?

and no we dont act like it was no big deal. we learn about it in school the same way the germans learn about WW2. granted, the german situation is a little more fresh in their memory as it was only 62 years ago when hitler was still in power. i've lived in germany and the students I knew really didn't feel any personal guilt for what hitler did. they werent even alive when that happened and most of their parents weren't alive. they're sorry about it and learn about it A LOT but from what I've experienced they don't blame themselves.

Quote:
Timmeh & Final Wrath...
I can agree with your sentiment and frustration to a certain extent but if you really believe that as a society things are equal and fair then you are mistaken. But things have improved tremendously.
If you are telling me that after all those years of repressing a whole section of people in this country then all of a sudden in 1968 it became all love and a whole white society said lets embrace those people that were believed to be inferior you are sadly mistaken.
Just from an academic and social point 1968 things were desegregated to a certain extent but these people had no real formal education and no economic foothold in society. It does take time to assimilate into a culture.
I dont believe white people are holding down black people but the economic and social stigma has a lasting effect.
I will say this the plight of some of the black people in our society are self inflicted damage but mostly from inheriting uneducated and bad economic standing.
Of all the people that came to this country over the years eventually they were embraced or allowed to integrate into american society the people that had been here a lot longer werent...

no I dont think everythings perfect. there are still racist people and plenty of prejudice. but I really don't feel racism is the biggest problem in the black community. i read about a study that found a higher percentage of young black males think they can acheive success through athletics or music than through education. another problem is that its alot more acceptable to beat your kids and call them ugly, stupid, ect in black culture than other cultures. its not like living in poverty is conducive towards progress but black cultural values sure aren't helping. rap music glamorizes the gangsta lifestyle of "get money or die tryin" and reinforces the cycle of crime.

so why are there no black leaders like martin luther king anymore? what would he say if he was still alive? where are the black politicians clamoring for reformed education and better foster care programs? If the black community could get more proactive abut helping themselves than focusing ont he racial adversity they face I feel they would be more successful.

Last edited by final.wrath : 11-21-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:16 PM   #40
final.wrath
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark...egyptians.html

Final Wrath, the website above was designed for people like you.

Those are pictures of Egypt's earliest known kings. They sure do look like people your forefathers will call the N-word.

you don't know anything about my forefathers jerm.

that website isnt the most credible of sources... but if we take what it says for truth it implies that egyptians are a mix of asians and africans.

comparing the nubians and aboriginal africans to canadians and americans is still a really bad analogy.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #41
Jerm

Quote:
you do also realize that some african cheifs sold out their own people to be slaves? should they aplogize too?

Even though that might be true you should also have to consider why they could have sold their sons and daughters into slavery. Maybe they didn't want to end up like the Native Americans?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #42
DLakerfan
Banned

DLakerfan has an OK reputation so far

Can we all just get along?
DLakerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #43
final.wrath
Banned

im sorry but if you tried to enslave my family i'd fight to the death no matter how hopeless the situation.

they did that because of greed. fear isn't an exuse.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:43 PM   #44
DLakerfan
Banned

DLakerfan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
im sorry but if you tried to enslave my family i'd fight to the death no matter how hopeless the situation.

let it go my son, only then you can achieve greatness, like the words from a foreign land, Domo Arigato Gozaimasu.
DLakerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:08 PM   #45
Jerm

Quote:

You're only saying they did to absorb yourself of some guilt even though there is no concrete evidence Africans sold fellow Africans into slavery. This isn't about family my friend, Native Americans were almost wiped out. You'll let go of some people if it means your nation continuing to live on. No doubt!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: