Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
Im Still Ballin
Libertarian Jedi

Question Are the Baby Boomers the most privileged generation ever?

I am not suggesting anything or stating my own personal opinion. I am just creating a discussion. I decided to research some generaion related topics/discussions... I found this gold nugget of a top reddit comment...

Quote:
Baby boomers were the kids that everyone had when the came back after WWII. All the men that went overseas put off having families and when they got back they all started cranking out kids. Coupled with untold economic prosperity means there are more of them than any other generation, and that was true for their entire lives. That is why the 60's were about teens, the 70's about people in their 20's, and 80's were about coked out 30 and 40 year olds. The 90's had these people raising kids and teens so everything was Disney and otherwise oriented to that. Now it is retirement for them soon.
They are hated on because they have gotten more from society than any other group compared to what they invested. They have the numbers to out vote everyone else both when it comes to politics and when it comes to buying power. For them graduating from high school meant they were guaranteed a career which would allow them to start a family, buy a house with a garage and cars, and live a reasonable lifestyle right away including vacations, retirement, and medical benefits. No student loans required. Also the houses they bought at 20 ballooned to 10x their original value which was just free cash for them.
Just think about what it takes to get that today. You need to be a top student with every part of your life squared away. You need to be a very smart and very hard working and even then you need luck on your side.

How do you respond to this? Commence discussion!
Im Still Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Default Re: Are the Baby Boomers the most privileged generation ever?

I brought this up with my mom and dad and they responded to me by saying they had their own challenges as well but instead of putting off family, investment, home etc. until you were financially secure, they got married anyway and decided to rough it out together. Same with all my aunts and uncles. I'm probably financially heathlier then them combined at the same age but I couldn't imagine getting married right now. They did wait a few years to have kids though.

I thought that was an interesting take. I would have to believe there were more working class opportunites back then and cost of living would've been lower in some areas. My dad still had to work his butt off like you have to today. My grandparents were working class (farmer, iron foundry worker) while my parents were both college educated.

Gap years would've been unheard of for them. They worried more about paying rent.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
Ben Simons
Serious playground baller

Yes, highest pay with the least amount of education/experience required.
Ben Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
Doomsday Dallas
America!

I don't know if privileged is the right word.

But they definitely had the best opportunities and least amount of uncertainty.

Vietnam was probably the worst event of their lives.

If Generation X can go the next 20 or 30 years without having a major war or major economic depression, then I'd say they'd take home the prize of most privileged.... but the way things are developing, it looks as if Generation X will have some pretty big challenges headed their way as they grow into the role of grandparents.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
Schotsman
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
I don't know if privileged is the right word.

But they definitely had the best opportunities and least amount of uncertainty.

Vietnam was probably the worst event of their lives.

If Generation X can go the next 20 or 30 years without having a major war or major economic depression, then I'd say they'd take home the prize of most privileged.... but the way things are developing, it looks as if Generation X will have some pretty big challenges headed their way as they grow into the role of grandparents.

My parents (who are from the 1940's) thought that the Cuban Missile Crisis was pretty scary as well. The world seemed to be on the edge of a nuclear war.
Schotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
nathanjizzle
Liberal Crusader

one of the weakest and most horrible generations in american history. responsible for the only war that america has lost, bred a terrible drug epidemic culture that still exists and effects society today, carelessly destroyed the environment and also are the most snobby generations to ever exist. they did nothing. cant wait till they die.

Last edited by nathanjizzle : 01-04-2017 at 01:43 PM.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
poido123
Down with GLOBALISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
I'm an effeminate Hillary supporter who has no clue about anything related to life.

Fixed.
poido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

The first pussified generation.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:26 PM   #9
Rocketswin2013
Bad Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schotsman
My parents (who are from the 1940's) thought that the Cuban Missile Crisis was pretty scary as well. The world seemed to be on the edge of a nuclear war.

the cold war made them sociopaths. they thought they were destined to die young so they stopped giving a shit. this is how it was explained to me in different words, by an old family member.

Last edited by Rocketswin2013 : 01-05-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Rocketswin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #10
Jameerthefear
Paid shill

Most definitely.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #11
red1
raps fan

Good thread.

The answer is a resounding yes. Zero doubt. I've had this exact discussion a few times with coworkers and management in different companies just shooting the shit going for smoke breaks.

It's obvious to me that they just don't understand the reality of student loans and the ridiculous real estate market and cost of living in some cities. Even worse, a lot of them are quick to accuse the younger generation of being lazy because to them a house and car are just a given. When car insurance costs as much as people were paying to rent homes, then you know somethings wrong. To compound the issue a lot of these fucks are working until damn near 70 just clutching their jobs.

To them though, a lot of the shit they've seen with trends in society and the younger generations must've been baffling. Two sides to every coin and they can come up with their fair of complaints (cough soft and pussified men cough new levels achieved in attention-whoring females cough every reality tv show ever).

In terms of being spoiled and having a delusional worldview though? They take the cake.
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #12
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1
Good thread.

The answer is a resounding yes. Zero doubt. I've had this exact discussion a few times with coworkers and management in different companies just shooting the shit going for smoke breaks.

It's obvious to me that they just don't understand the reality of student loans and the ridiculous real estate market and cost of living in some cities. Even worse, a lot of them are quick to accuse the younger generation of being lazy because to them a house and car are just a given. When car insurance costs as much as people were paying to rent homes, then you know somethings wrong. To compound the issue a lot of these fucks are working until damn near 70 just clutching their jobs.

To them though, a lot of the shit they've seen with trends in society and the younger generations must've been baffling. Two sides to every coin and they can come up with their fair of complaints (cough soft and pussified men cough new levels achieved in attention-whoring females cough every reality tv show ever).

In terms of being spoiled and having a delusional worldview though? They take the cake.

What bugs me the most is they continuously deny the disaster of our interventionist/nation building foreign policy that they've voted in over the past 40-50 years.

I pretty much told my parents that I'm sick of us being at war and sacrificing american troops and taxpayer money for campaigns that don't benefit the US at all. That goes for a lot of people my age. Hopefully Clinton losing puts an end to those failed baby boomer generation policies. Just gotta get rid of McCain, Pelosi, Graham and others.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:09 AM   #13
DCL
NBA sixth man of the year

they had more opportunities. they only needed to be better than average to obtain a decent life. if they were only smarter than half the population and they worked harder than half the population, they had a decent chance of reaching a life of comfort. they only needed to be in the top-50% to achieve this. they were very easy on their kids because they thought life would be a walk in the park for them as well.

today, reality is a bit different for young people. you're not going to accomplish jack if you're just average. if you're average today, it probably means you have a ton of debt and you're living paycheck-to-paycheck and you're nowhere close to buying a home. to get out of this category is still possible, but you need to be at least top-20% among your peers. you need to be smarter or more talented than 80% of the population and/or work harder than 80% of the population. the opportunities are still around if you have game, but they're scarce if you're only mediocre in performance and mediocre in work ethic.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #14
Ben Simons
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
they had more opportunities. they only needed to be better than average to obtain a decent life. if they were only smarter than half the population and they worked harder than half the population, they had a decent chance of reaching a life of comfort. they only needed to be in the top-50% to achieve this. they were very easy on their kids because they thought life would be a walk in the park for them as well.

today, reality is a bit different for young people. you're not going to accomplish jack if you're just average. if you're average today, it probably means you have a ton of debt and you're living paycheck-to-paycheck and you're nowhere close to buying a home. to get out of this category is still possible, but you need to be at least top-20% among your peers. you need to be smarter or more talented than 80% of the population and/or work harder than 80% of the population. the opportunities are still around if you have game, but they're scarce if you're only mediocre in performance and mediocre in work ethic.

And for these reasons, they think anybody who doesn't thrive is lazy.
Ben Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #15
UK2K
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Simons
Yes, highest pay with the least amount of education/experience required.

There are $15-20/hr jobs all over the place that require nothing more than a high school degree...

But nobody wants to work them.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: