Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I can't do it

I mean I didn't cut off everyone, it's not like I'm secluded and friendless, it's just that people know I'm usually busy and don't have alot of free time so we just don't hang out alot. I still do stuff like talk and yes I read magazines and stuff and some books but it's not like I go to the library and start working through every novel. I just meant that I have a focus on basketball and it has priorities over some of the other stuff I could be doing.

I still look forward to playing ball. I took 2 days off and just chilled and it was terrible. I couldn't stop thinking about when I could get back and work on my shot. It's like I'm always thinking something related to basketball, it was never my job and I never considered it work - I enjoy practicing even though it's really tough for me.

And yeah Swaggin you bet I'll keep working on my game. Rake2204 said I was putting all my eggs in one basket but to be honest I don't really have another basket to put them into. I love this game and yeah, I could just stop playing and start "preparing for a legit life" but I know if I stop then I'll regret it later. I'd rather fail trying to be good at something I really love than succeed with regrets. I mean, would I even be succeeding if I had those regrets?

I just needed some time to think about my situation, I guess.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #17
Saintsfan1992
Good High School Starter
 
Saintsfan1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 897
Saintsfan1992 has decent reputation
Default Re: I can't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I mean I didn't cut off everyone, it's not like I'm secluded and friendless, it's just that people know I'm usually busy and don't have alot of free time so we just don't hang out alot. I still do stuff like talk and yes I read magazines and stuff and some books but it's not like I go to the library and start working through every novel. I just meant that I have a focus on basketball and it has priorities over some of the other stuff I could be doing.

I still look forward to playing ball. I took 2 days off and just chilled and it was terrible. I couldn't stop thinking about when I could get back and work on my shot. It's like I'm always thinking something related to basketball, it was never my job and I never considered it work - I enjoy practicing even though it's really tough for me.

And yeah Swaggin you bet I'll keep working on my game. Rake2204 said I was putting all my eggs in one basket but to be honest I don't really have another basket to put them into. I love this game and yeah, I could just stop playing and start "preparing for a legit life" but I know if I stop then I'll regret it later. I'd rather fail trying to be good at something I really love than succeed with regrets. I mean, would I even be succeeding if I had those regrets?

I just needed some time to think about my situation, I guess.

that line right there
sounds like me
Saintsfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #18
devin112
Local High School Star
 
devin112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,154
devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: I can't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
somebody will teach you if you pay them... so yea it might take some of your own money if your parents aren't willing to help you (which is too bad...), but hey if it's worth enough to you then you'll do it. You might as well give it a go man you only live once. Just keep working on your mental game like the above poster said tho... I know I have to work on mine too. There are times where I just feel like things suck too... but it doesn't feel good (as you know) so try to change that.

GSP worked as a garbage man to make enough money to train mma. U might want to join the big brother program hook up w/ a baller that's cheap
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #19
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,103
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: I can't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I mean I didn't cut off everyone, it's not like I'm secluded and friendless, it's just that people know I'm usually busy and don't have alot of free time so we just don't hang out alot. I still do stuff like talk and yes I read magazines and stuff and some books but it's not like I go to the library and start working through every novel. I just meant that I have a focus on basketball and it has priorities over some of the other stuff I could be doing.

I still look forward to playing ball. I took 2 days off and just chilled and it was terrible. I couldn't stop thinking about when I could get back and work on my shot. It's like I'm always thinking something related to basketball, it was never my job and I never considered it work - I enjoy practicing even though it's really tough for me.

And yeah Swaggin you bet I'll keep working on my game. Rake2204 said I was putting all my eggs in one basket but to be honest I don't really have another basket to put them into. I love this game and yeah, I could just stop playing and start "preparing for a legit life" but I know if I stop then I'll regret it later. I'd rather fail trying to be good at something I really love than succeed with regrets. I mean, would I even be succeeding if I had those regrets?

I just needed some time to think about my situation, I guess.
With all due respect, you painted a pretty bleak picture in that original post. Everyone who has succeeded in basketball has had to make serious sacrifices so I'm with you there. It just seemed like you had stopped everything else in life for the sake of ball. It's okay to be crazy committed to basketball as long as everything else doesn't go completely down the toilet (school grades, college, for instance).

As long as everything's in check, find someone who can give you some critical feedback. Someone who can let you know how to do things on the court better. I'll reiterate that a lot of basketball is not just about doing something over and over and over, it's about doing the RIGHT thing over and over and over.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #20
lilojmayo
#lovethat32
 
lilojmayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,594
lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: I can't do it

You need to practice right, build your fundamentals up. It starts and ends with the jump shot. Once you have a jump shot with a good follow through everything starts to fall into place. You can go from being a good player to a very good player, or a player with skill and potential to an elite player. You also want to get as athletic speed, strength and vert wise as possible.

Take it from me kid, I was basically offered a spot possibly on scholarship to play for one of the better D-2 schools around my area to play college basketball just last week. I worked out with the team last week, I know the head coach, and went to their camps when i was a kid like 10 years old. He said there would be a spot for me on the team if I ever decide to go there, because of my game, not because I am friends with him. Because of my current situation I have to decline. At least I know i'm good enough to play college basketball right.

Anyway, like I said it starts with the jumpshot. I believe the last video a posted 3-4 months back I just started developing one it was at its early stages. Now it is a lot more mature. It has really opened up my game. Before I even had a jumper like the beginning of this year I was a drive only,and only shoot set shots and my form was poor. Now with a jumpshot my offensive is more versatile, I can pull up, fadeaway, and hit tough jumpers and work the mid range game more. I'll probably post a short video in a couple weeks.

My advice record yourself your set shot and jump shot, so you can see with your own eyes, then let other people see it and evaluate it, so you can make the correction on it then go from there.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:42 AM   #21
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star
 
Birmingham1955's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 625
Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: I can't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
You need to practice right, build your fundamentals up. It starts and ends with the jump shot. Once you have a jump shot with a good follow through everything starts to fall into place. You can go from being a good player to a very good player, or a player with skill and potential to an elite player. You also want to get as athletic speed, strength and vert wise as possible.

Take it from me kid, I was basically offered a spot possibly on scholarship to play for one of the better D-2 schools around my area to play college basketball just last week. I worked out with the team last week, I know the head coach, and went to their camps when i was a kid like 10 years old. He said there would be a spot for me on the team if I ever decide to go there, because of my game, not because I am friends with him. Because of my current situation I have to decline. At least I know i'm good enough to play college basketball right.

Anyway, like I said it starts with the jumpshot. I believe the last video a posted 3-4 months back I just started developing one it was at its early stages. Now it is a lot more mature. It has really opened up my game. Before I even had a jumper like the beginning of this year I was a drive only,and only shoot set shots and my form was poor. Now with a jumpshot my offensive is more versatile, I can pull up, fadeaway, and hit tough jumpers and work the mid range game more. I'll probably post a short video in a couple weeks.

My advice record yourself your set shot and jump shot, so you can see with your own eyes, then let other people see it and evaluate it, so you can make the correction on it then go from there.

I am looking forward to an update video. I remember you were one of the better players to post a video awhile back. Congrats on the basketball scholarship that is hard to get. I'm 24, but when i was around the HS/College aged I was average at basketball and even that might be pushing it. I never possess the skills or the talent to be a good player, but I simply loved the game.

OP, if you work hard enough like you have been doing you will be able to play some level of college basketball in 2 years time.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #22
devin112
Local High School Star
 
devin112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,154
devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: I can't do it

How can you say we're making it overly complicated when we're advocating what you're doing for those kids you train? Neither you or the kids to train made it on love alone. we're telling him to seek out a trainer or coach, how's that overly complex? you had training and now you train others...
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #23
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,429
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: I can't do it

^^^ See that's me. I would be willing to do all of that and more without even thinking it's work. If you do that.. you should be playing at some level and could definitely make your High School team.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:27 PM   #24
devin112
Local High School Star
 
devin112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,154
devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: I can't do it

Right now in my trunk I have a pairof shoes shorts and an indoor and an outdoor ball. I feel u

We can only go by what he says and it seems like he has the love. They really hoop outdoors in Dubai? Damn did u mix it up w/ them?
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #25
Saintsfan1992
Good High School Starter
 
Saintsfan1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 897
Saintsfan1992 has decent reputation
Default Re: I can't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJones
No you are focusing on the wrong part. That kid would have been in the gym loving everything about the game with or without me. I'm talking about the absolute love of the game. That kid had that before I started working with him. Heaven to him was being in the gym working on his game before I helped him. The only reason I can push him so hard during our workouts is because of his love of the game and will to improve. The only reason I can stick him in workouts with my pro players and have him compete harder then them is because he loves the game. It has nothing to do with me or me working with him. I'm not working with him today but I bet if I call him right now, he and his little brother are in the gym with ear to ear smiles on their faces because the gym is their idea of paradise. Usually I don't work with youth/high school level players unless they are international players or I'm consulting a national level program. The only reason I worked with him was because I saw that pure love for the game that he had. It was the same love I had. I had that love before anyone worked with me. You can't teach or coach that.

I can teach you every skill in the world but you know what, that kid that loves the game is still going to be better then you because while you are at the movies he's in the gym working on what I he was taught and learning to use it in ways that you haven't began to even think about because you are more concerned with hanging out and playing x-box. Now when you step back on the court, a few days later he's two or three steps ahead of you. That's not a coaching advantage because I taught both players the same thing. The advantage came from one kid loving the game and one kid liking the game. Players who truly love the game don't get burned out. Bottom line. It might be harsh but its the truth.

The only reason we take breaks is because our bodies break down and need time to recover. Hell I'd be dribbling a ball through airport terminals wearing a sports coat, slacks and oxfords when I was going on vacation during the off-season. Until this day I keep an extra pair of shoes, shorts, jersey and a ball in every car that I own because I might get the urge to put some shots up while I'm driving. Or pass a gym or court and see a game game going on, I may have to hop out and call next. My favorite city to visit is Dubai not for the development or nightlife but because the Filipino guys will go out and run full court everyday at Za'abeel Park for 4 hours in 115 degree heat!

At the age of 17 and under, unless you are 6'10+ or supremely talented physically you can't afford to not totally love the game especially if you plan to play at the next level.

Jump higher and run faster:
http://www.program51.com

real shit right there
im goin outside right now
im 17 and 5 ft 9

ima check out them videos u had up here too
i think it was the post move ones
Saintsfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #26
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I can't do it

Thanks everyone who helped, I'm back on the grind and it honestly feels great to be back, those 2 days I took off I was pretty much lost cause I didn't want to do anything besides go to the gym...

Rake2204 - You're definitely right about keeping my priorities straight. Trust me, basketball comes second to school and I make sure my grades are right. My parents pushed that on me early on and it's natural so grades are never a problem for me. I'm working on getting different jobs, volunteer work and other experience so my application remains strong. Basketball is my main priority but I make sure academics are strong.

lilojmayo - I'm really pushing to develop a good shot, I've been putting up alot of shots lately (with good form of course) and it comes more natural now. For me I was never a "bad" shooter, I'm just not a great practice shooter. By that I mean that when I shoot 100 shots I'll probably be on and off and have some good streaks, probably finish around 50/60 on a normal day but when I'm playing in a game I'll hit the shots I take.

Birmingham1955 - thanks, I will continue to work as hard as ever and hopefully smarter as I move on.

KJones - I definitely get where you're coming from about love and passion for basketball. When I look back now at my first post I feel like I was sending out the wrong message, I'm not tired of ball now and I can't see me being tired of it for a long time. Towards the beginning of this year I just started to really appreciate the game and I honestly love it.

I don't have personal access to the gym but I pretty much live there anyways, my second home is the local rec center and all the people there know where I am, I've played in that gym since I was in elementary and I have no regrets. Everyday I look forward to playing, it doesn't matter if it's a holiday or some special day. One of the best days this year was my birthday because I went to the gym, finally got my shot form down and had a good workout in. I know I made it sound like I was making sacrifices but I don't feel like I was, it's not a sacrifice for me to get to practice/be around the game. Ironically it's more like me sacrificing basketball to watch some TV, so I avoid that stuff.

devin112 - I'm talking to some of the personal trainers at the Celtics facility and I'm going to start working with one of them next week. I'm also going to try to talk to other people to see about training with them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Swaggin - you're right also, practicing basketball is the last thing from work. Like KJones said it's just more fun to play than to play xbox and stuff. If I'm free, I'm either playing basketball or doing something related to it online or in books/magazines.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #27
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I can't do it

Just did a workout for 50 minutes with a trainer today, and man I am thankful. I know I need to work on conditioning and quicker shooting now, and he gave me a workout. Really glad I did this so now I can train smarter and harder. Instead of burning 2 hours in a gym with weak shots I'll go hard now and go all out for half the time then repeat later on.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #28
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,429
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: I can't do it

quick shooting and conditioning... that's where it's at man. Yea always train hard, it doesn't make sense to train like you are playing pickup where you can be lazy when you get tired. You want to make a team, you have to be conditioned. You want to get your shot off when trees are around? Better have a quick release.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:39 AM   #29
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,103
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: I can't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Just did a workout for 50 minutes with a trainer today, and man I am thankful. I know I need to work on conditioning and quicker shooting now, and he gave me a workout. Really glad I did this so now I can train smarter and harder. Instead of burning 2 hours in a gym with weak shots I'll go hard now and go all out for half the time then repeat later on.
Good to hear, man.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #30
bdobeast
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
bdobeast has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I can't do it

i know what you mean. Before this summer i played point guard all the time every possesion for my school team were not that good and i have to be like "the man" on it for us to be succesful my school coaches say and over the summer i have done nothing but train for basketball and play games. But on my aau team i play for in the summer i don't run point because of how good some of the kids are every person except 1 or 2 could run it for us. But now when in games when i do start playing point i cannot handle the ball at all. In practice i can do any stationary drill i practice my moves over and over and do them easily in practice but then in the games now i can't do them. then i have my coaches and parents on me about not taking enough shots and defering to my team to much. I had like a killer mentality on the court but now it seems like i've lost confidence do you guys know how i could get that back does anybody have a drill that i can do by myself that simulates pressure defense? I think that can help my ballhandling
bdobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy