Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #31
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: I can't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdobeast
i know what you mean. Before this summer i played point guard all the time every possesion for my school team were not that good and i have to be like "the man" on it for us to be succesful my school coaches say and over the summer i have done nothing but train for basketball and play games. But on my aau team i play for in the summer i don't run point because of how good some of the kids are every person except 1 or 2 could run it for us. But now when in games when i do start playing point i cannot handle the ball at all. In practice i can do any stationary drill i practice my moves over and over and do them easily in practice but then in the games now i can't do them. then i have my coaches and parents on me about not taking enough shots and defering to my team to much. I had like a killer mentality on the court but now it seems like i've lost confidence do you guys know how i could get that back does anybody have a drill that i can do by myself that simulates pressure defense? I think that can help my ballhandling

It's all about your mind.
You can't teach how to clean the pressure in your head. When i get in the game i always think that i'm better than my defender, always .. even if all the people say i'm not.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #32
bdobeast
Can barely lace up my sneakers

bdobeast has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
You can't teach how to clean the pressure in your head. When i get in the game i always think that i'm better than my defender, always .. even if all the people say i'm not.
okay thanks im gonna come out thinking like that in my next game and see how it works. also i've been going to a camp for basketball thats 3 times a week 9 to 4 for the whole summer then a 3 hour practice on thursday night and we have had 4 or 5 games a week and just working on my game a good bit by myself probably like another 6 hours a week and vertical jump bible 2 times a week. I sometimes feel pain in my knee when i jump off my right leg which is my best one for jumping. with this camp ending just finished vjb last week and my teams season is ending too should i take like a week off and do you think that will help me with my jumping?
bdobeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #33
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Quote:
i know what you mean. Before this summer i played point guard all the time every possesion for my school team were not that good and i have to be like "the man" on it for us to be succesful my school coaches say and over the summer i have done nothing but train for basketball and play games. But on my aau team i play for in the summer i don't run point because of how good some of the kids are every person except 1 or 2 could run it for us. But now when in games when i do start playing point i cannot handle the ball at all. In practice i can do any stationary drill i practice my moves over and over and do them easily in practice but then in the games now i can't do them. then i have my coaches and parents on me about not taking enough shots and defering to my team to much. I had like a killer mentality on the court but now it seems like i've lost confidence do you guys know how i could get that back does anybody have a drill that i can do by myself that simulates pressure defense? I think that can help my ballhandling

Try to do some 2 ball drills, they really tighten your handle especially if your going game speed. As far as defering half of the battle is getting your shot off and being confident with it, so just work ok your jumper until your confident in it, the game will come much easier.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #34
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
okay thanks im gonna come out thinking like that in my next game and see how it works. also i've been going to a camp for basketball thats 3 times a week 9 to 4 for the whole summer then a 3 hour practice on thursday night and we have had 4 or 5 games a week and just working on my game a good bit by myself probably like another 6 hours a week and vertical jump bible 2 times a week. I sometimes feel pain in my knee when i jump off my right leg which is my best one for jumping. with this camp ending just finished vjb last week and my teams season is ending too should i take like a week off and do you think that will help me with my jumping?

Yeah if you've been working hard and you feel like you need a break, by all means take it. You'll make more gains recovering than you would if you just kept plowing through, which could lead to injury. I made great gains when I took a week off from my vertical and strength training.

About your confidence, it's all in your head. You can be the greatest player and be held down by your conscience. A drill you should try is just anything that involves 2 on 1. And I don't mean play 21 where 1 guy just waits for rebounds, play 1 on 1 on 1 or do full court dribbling drills with your off hand while 2 defenders pester you. If you can get used to it then ballhandling with 1 defender should seem easy.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 PM   #35
Venom
Serious playground baller

Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool

Man, I really wish I could play a 1 on 1 with you. We're the same age, nearly the same body type, and could match up nicely, I would think.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #36
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
Man, I really wish I could play a 1 on 1 with you. We're the same age, nearly the same body type, and could match up nicely, I would think.

That's the type of thinking you can't have. NOBODY can match up with you. If they're bigger than you, go around them, if they are shorter than you... don't make me laugh ... and if they are about your height, body type, and seem to be about as athletic... then wtf you don't think you could shit on yourself? Even if somebody who's guarding you is more athletic and seems to match up with you really well, they have no idea what you are doing. Look for your advantage, and exploit it.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #37
Venom

Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
That's the type of thinking you can't have. NOBODY can match up with you. If they're bigger than you, go around them, if they are shorter than you... don't make me laugh ... and if they are about your height, body type, and seem to be about as athletic... then wtf you don't think you could shit on yourself? Even if somebody who's guarding you is more athletic and seems to match up with you really well, they have no idea what you are doing. Look for your advantage, and exploit it.

I meant that, as I could tell from his posts, that we have similar weaknesses and that we can benefit from trying to exploit them. One of my friends and I do that and we really benefit from it. Since we also have similar games, we pick-up things that one of us didn't have. I don't mean have a competitive game, just a like a post-practice game. By us matching up I meant that it would be an interesting game, seeing as we have similar strengths.

Edit: I used the words benefit and similar too many times, lol.

Last edited by Venom : 08-10-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #38
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Yea man get a thesaurus or something geez...

There are no excuses! You either dominate or get out the gym! Nah I know what you meant... I was unleashing my inner Jordan.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #39
Venom

Quote:
Yea man get a thesaurus or something geez...

There are no excuses! You either dominate or get out the gym! Nah I know what you meant... I was unleashing my inner Jordan.

I should really take on that mentality

I guess the people that I've played pick-up ball with made me think that it's cheap to exploit their weaknesses and work with my strengths. If they're slow to recover on defense and I continually shoot kick-out 3s, they call me cheap and tell me to drive. If they're afraid of contact and all I do is drive, they tell me that I have no jump-shot. If I share the ball with my big men because they outmatch the other guys in the paint, I get yelled at. I think you get my point.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:10 AM   #40
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
Truth.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:55 AM   #41
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
I should really take on that mentality

I guess the people that I've played pick-up ball with made me think that it's cheap to exploit their weaknesses and work with my strengths. If they're slow to recover on defense and I continually shoot kick-out 3s, they call me cheap and tell me to drive. If they're afraid of contact and all I do is drive, they tell me that I have no jump-shot. If I share the ball with my big men because they outmatch the other guys in the paint, I get yelled at. I think you get my point.

Well here is the thing... you don't have to care what other people thing is cheap. The fact that they think it's cheap is actually a compliment to you... it means they can't even stop a single part of your game. Like if I get someone I can just blow by every time... I am going to blow by them until they feel demoralized. If I play someone who gives me a bunch of space... then I'm going to make it rain. If someone plays me straight up and I just keep beating them... then what have I done wrong? It's the other persons job to stop you. I don't ever ***** about someone being cheap. I don't care if they are 7 feet tall and posting me up every time... I expect them to do that cus it's their advantage. I'll just try to use mine and smack the ball if they keep it low and use my leverage so they can't possibly back me down. Also, if by exploiting advantages that you see other teammates have makes you cheap... then call me cheap cus the name of the game is exploiting weaknesses. I want to see the ball go in the bucket and the easiest way possible is the best way.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #42
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

If a fat guy ever matches up w/ me, I usually take it easy on them. I don't really use my quickness on them, unless the game is on the line or they're talking shit. If a really skinny dude is checking me, I usually don't post them up.

HOWEVER I was watching a vid of Kobe playing one on one at one of his camps for kids and he played one on one w/ 13 year old and guess what Kobe did...

he posted up the kid for most of his points.

If you take it easy on them and lose, they're not going to give you any credit for being nice. They'll think they owned your ass.

But if you're hooping w/ friends its all good, just put them in their place every once in a while.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #43
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
If a fat guy ever matches up w/ me, I usually take it easy on them. I don't really use my quickness on them, unless the game is on the line or they're talking shit. If a really skinny dude is checking me, I usually don't post them up.

HOWEVER I was watching a vid of Kobe playing one on one at one of his camps for kids and he played one on one w/ 13 year old and guess what Kobe did...

he posted up the kid for most of his points.

If you take it easy on them and lose, they're not going to give you any credit for being nice. They'll think they owned your ass.

But if you're hooping w/ friends its all good, just put them in their place every once in a while.

I think I saw that vid also, was that the one at his Academy camp?

He had that nice move where he picked up his dribble and looped it under the kids arm before tossing it off the backboard
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #44
Venom

Quote:
Well here is the thing... you don't have to care what other people thing is cheap. The fact that they think it's cheap is actually a compliment to you... it means they can't even stop a single part of your game. Like if I get someone I can just blow by every time... I am going to blow by them until they feel demoralized. If I play someone who gives me a bunch of space... then I'm going to make it rain. If someone plays me straight up and I just keep beating them... then what have I done wrong? It's the other persons job to stop you. I don't ever ***** about someone being cheap. I don't care if they are 7 feet tall and posting me up every time... I expect them to do that cus it's their advantage. I'll just try to use mine and smack the ball if they keep it low and use my leverage so they can't possibly back me down. Also, if by exploiting advantages that you see other teammates have makes you cheap... then call me cheap cus the name of the game is exploiting weaknesses. I want to see the ball go in the bucket and the easiest way possible is the best way.

It might just be the mentality of people in that specific park that I play in, because if they realize that I got most of my points from posting up or from dropping 3s and they can't do anything to stop it, they just stop playing.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: