Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #16
Court Vision
#KnicksTape

Court Vision is considered somewhat coolCourt Vision is considered somewhat coolCourt Vision is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Trying To Get A Scholarship

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
Im going to be 100% realistic, I will be happy to get a high D2 scholarship. All I want is a basketball scholarship so I can go to school free and play the sport I love, a D1 scholarship will be a dream come true.

Btw I am 6'0, above average athlete and working on improving my mental game.

D3 Hoops > D2 Hoops
Court Vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #17
Saintsfan1992
Good High School Starter

Saintsfan1992 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Vision
D3 Hoops > D2 Hoops

and why is that?
Saintsfan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsfan1992
and why is that?

It isn't don't let him fool you. If anything JUCO>D3. D3 you aren't allowed to give athletic scholarships so many of the good players don't play D3, but rather play JUCO.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #19
Saintsfan1992
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
It isn't don't let him fool you. If anything JUCO>D3. D3 you aren't allowed to give athletic scholarships so many of the good players don't play D3, but rather play JUCO.

isnt JUCO worse tho?
Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #20
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintsfan1992
isnt JUCO worse tho?

D1
D2
D3

JUCO is junior college. However it usually gets a nice amount of D1 guys that couldn't meet D1 requirements for a scholarship.

D3 have almost no d1 level players.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #21
Saintsfan1992
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
D1
D2
D3

JUCO is junior college. However it usually gets a nice amount of D1 guys that couldn't meet D1 requirements for a scholarship.

D3 have almost no d1 level players.

i wonder tho can you go to JUCO and get a scholarship still at a D1 or D2 if you transfer????????
Old 07-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #22
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

I'm not familiar with the Junior College basketball scene, anyone fill me in? All I know is that D3>JC for education (even Caltech's D3) so unless you plan to go pro then you're better off going to a 4-year college.

Quote:
men you are right I cant be losing like this senior year. The negative about transferring is that the HS teams already started playing togeth i.e summer leagues, camps, practices, clinics, etc. so for me to just come there and try take a spot when they already have chemistry will be tough and if I end up not getting much PT then transferring schools will be a complete waste. But if I stay and we suck then we wont get noticed regardless.

On the other hand our team actually has talent but we lack height. We have a really talented PG, myself and the others they are talented but they never come around until its time for tryouts.

Its a really tough decision to make...

You're right chemistry is an issue and if you transfer, the coach won't feel inclined to play you since you're new. You'd have to be really good and a clear cut choice over their current PG for them to play. Don't worry too much though, because you still have a month left to decide.

What I'd do is make a list of potential high schools you'd transfer to and really break them down to choices you'd pick not only for basketball but for education. Education really does matter because you need a safety option in case basketball doesn't work out.

With that list, do some research and get to know their systems and even meet with the coaches. If possible, try and have an appointment where you basically sit down with the coaches and tell them what you're trying to do. It will be hard to get noticed when your team is losing all the time. If you're talented and you still lose, it doesn't change anything, because you lost. It's not to say that coaches wouldn't want you, because they understand a team situation but it would be hard to get noticed unless you won some games.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #23
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I'm not familiar with the Junior College basketball scene, anyone fill me in? All I know is that D3>JC for education (even Caltech's D3) so unless you plan to go pro then you're better off going to a 4-year college.

You're right chemistry is an issue and if you transfer, the coach won't feel inclined to play you since you're new. You'd have to be really good and a clear cut choice over their current PG for them to play. Don't worry too much though, because you still have a month left to decide.

What I'd do is make a list of potential high schools you'd transfer to and really break them down to choices you'd pick not only for basketball but for education. Education really does matter because you need a safety option in case basketball doesn't work out.

With that list, do some research and get to know their systems and even meet with the coaches. If possible, try and have an appointment where you basically sit down with the coaches and tell them what you're trying to do. It will be hard to get noticed when your team is losing all the time. If you're talented and you still lose, it doesn't change anything, because you lost. It's not to say that coaches wouldn't want you, because they understand a team situation but it would be hard to get noticed unless you won some games.

Ok. I think I will most likely stay at the school I am in now though. We are picking up the pace and so far we have won 3 in a row. Today we had a good W over a good team but I was really trying to score more pts I only had about 14. I got really frustrated because I was getting to the basket but I was missing just a little bit short when I tryed to finish over bigger defenders. Also my jump shot was not falling even though I only took about 2 or 3. The refs also bullshitted because during the whole game our team did not go the the FT line not ONE time.

The PG we have is REALLY good but he is more of a score first PG but passes as well. Any tips on how I can score off the ball?
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 PM   #24
Grizz
I airball my layups

Grizz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Im going to be 100% realistic, I will be happy to get a high D2 scholarship. All I want is a basketball scholarship so I can go to school free and play the sport I love, a D1 scholarship will be a dream come true.

Btw I am 6'0, above average athlete and working on improving my mental game.

You have to be strong mentally and can't be scared of making mistakes or missing when you are on the court in the dying seconds or any time during the game to play in the next level. Good Luck Bro and play as much basketball as you can this summer!
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:17 PM   #25
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Ok. I think I will most likely stay at the school I am in now though. We are picking up the pace and so far we have won 3 in a row. Today we had a good W over a good team but I was really trying to score more pts I only had about 14. I got really frustrated because I was getting to the basket but I was missing just a little bit short when I tryed to finish over bigger defenders. Also my jump shot was not falling even though I only took about 2 or 3. The refs also bullshitted because during the whole game our team did not go the the FT line not ONE time.

The PG we have is REALLY good but he is more of a score first PG but passes as well. Any tips on how I can score off the ball?

I thought you were the PG? Oh well if you're playing the off guard then it's even easier to get noticed because you pretty much have the green light to shoot alot and hopefully put up huge numbers.

I'm not a scorer but I can be, and when I'm off the ball I focus on moving. Running through alot of screens and cross court to try and throw the defender off. Then when you receive the ball you can either shoot right away or fake that shot and take it in. Personally, I like to get to the line to get a rhythm so I'll drive in alot and purposely try to create contact. It puts pressure on the defense and amounts to easy points.

14 points isn't bad at all. If you consistently put up 14 points, that is already impressive, at least in the system my school plays for. It sounded like you didn't even take that many shots to get there, maybe 7-9 so it's good that you're keeping efficiency in mind. Efficiency is very important so if it's an off night, don't force it and just decoy and facilitate.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #26
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
I thought you were the PG? Oh well if you're playing the off guard then it's even easier to get noticed because you pretty much have the green light to shoot alot and hopefully put up huge numbers.

I'm not a scorer but I can be, and when I'm off the ball I focus on moving. Running through alot of screens and cross court to try and throw the defender off. Then when you receive the ball you can either shoot right away or fake that shot and take it in. Personally, I like to get to the line to get a rhythm so I'll drive in alot and purposely try to create contact. It puts pressure on the defense and amounts to easy points.

14 points isn't bad at all. If you consistently put up 14 points, that is already impressive, at least in the system my school plays for. It sounded like you didn't even take that many shots to get there, maybe 7-9 so it's good that you're keeping efficiency in mind. Efficiency is very important so if it's an off night, don't force it and just decoy and facilitate.

Yea I mean 14 is OK but its not enough to get me any good looks or honorable mentions. Its my senior year and 20 ppg is my goal nothing less. I would say I was pretty efficient I went like 7-10 FG and amazingly did not get to the FT line (even more amazingly our whole team didnt get a single FT lmao). But yea I need to find a way to score more and adding a mid range game/deadly 3 to my game should really help.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #27
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Yea I mean 14 is OK but its not enough to get me any good looks or honorable mentions. Its my senior year and 20 ppg is my goal nothing less. I would say I was pretty efficient I went like 7-10 FG and amazingly did not get to the FT line (even more amazingly our whole team didnt get a single FT lmao). But yea I need to find a way to score more and adding a mid range game/deadly 3 to my game should really help.

So wait is your team playing in a summer league? I didn't know if the season starts this early or not.

Anyways just do what you've been doing. You'll get the foul calls usually so it's no problem. I'm assuming you're in-season so don't start trying to add all different kinds of moves, just stick to what you do best. If it's your off-season, then spend alot of effort on the outside game. It'll really open up other scoring dimensions.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #28
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
So wait is your team playing in a summer league? I didn't know if the season starts this early or not.

Anyways just do what you've been doing. You'll get the foul calls usually so it's no problem. I'm assuming you're in-season so don't start trying to add all different kinds of moves, just stick to what you do best. If it's your off-season, then spend alot of effort on the outside game. It'll really open up other scoring dimensions.

na were still in the summer league. Next game Im just going to use more of my mid range but I will still attack the basket and look for contact. Im still trying to just keep improving my game as well.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #29
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
na were still in the summer league. Next game Im just going to use more of my mid range but I will still attack the basket and look for contact. Im still trying to just keep improving my game as well.

Alright man good luck in your next game. Keep us posted on how you did?
Old 08-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #30
MannyO
Super Cool E

ight will do good luck in your season too man
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: