Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #16
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

jlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Kevin Durant vs George Gervin

I have no beef in this discussion. Durant has already accomplished a lot at only 21. BUT, my god, those that want to rank a player who has only played three seasons, with a long-time career star are being ridiculous.

Let's have this debate 5-10 years from now.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #17
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner82
Durant at 21 put up 30 a game on 20 shots or

Gervin averaged over 30 twice in his career and needed 25 FGA to get it done.

During the heart of his prime he posted 29.6 ppg and needed 21.9 FGA to get it done. That was his most efficient 28+ ppg season.

Also Gervin played on teams that were always 1st or 2nd in the league in pace/ppg. Durant is on a team that is primarily defensive minded which makes his numbers even more ridiculous.
Durant averaged a 3 pointer and a half with 10 fts. Gervin .1 3's and only over 8 fts once.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #18
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauber
I have no beef in this discussion. Durant has already accomplished a lot at only 21. BUT, my god, those that want to rank a player who has only played three seasons, with a long-time career star are being ridiculous.

Let's have this debate 5-10 years from now.
I remember after his fith season, kids were ranking Wade over Drexler and Gervin. Some had him 3 or 4 behind MJ, Kobe and some had him over West, lol.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #19
EarlTheGoat
Banned

EarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Shaqattack this is a nice comparison, much more logical than comparing him to Lebron or Kobe, because as you said, Durant is not a playmaker. I guess you already know that, but dont give up on this thread just because biased homers like joyner are insecure enough to not allow this comparison. Not even close? what a joke.

As I see it right now, I still think Gervin is the better scorer than any version of Durant we have seen yet (notice the word "yet"), better rebounder Durant? well not much, its something tied to me or at least only slightly better Kevin.

My intuition tells me Durant will end up being the better player, but as of now, I see George being the most decisive superstar, just see the scoring stats.
EarlTheGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #20
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlTheGoat
Shaqattack this is a nice comparison, much more logical than comparing him to Lebron or Kobe, because as you said, Durant is not a playmaker. I guess you already know that, but dont give up on this thread just because biased homers like joyner are insecure enough to not allow this comparison. Not even close? what a joke.

As I see it right now, I still think Gervin is the better scorer than any version of Durant we have seen yet (notice the word "yet"), better rebounder Durant? well not much, its something tied to me or at least only slightly better Kevin.

My intuition tells me Durant will end up being the better player, but as of now, I see George being the most decisive superstar, just see the scoring stats.
Alex English is another good comparison as they both were big, lanky Small Forwards.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #21
joyner82
Banned

joyner82 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayjoyner82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Durant averaged a 3 pointer and a half with 10 fts. Gervin .1 3's and only over 8 fts once.

There is a stat that factors all of these shots together and scales them. It's called TS%. Durant's 3rd year destroys Gervin's best year in TS%. Durant is the more efficient scorer.
joyner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:09 AM   #22
QuebecBaller
Next Great White Hope

QuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected poster

every time I see the name "george gervin" there's only one thing in my mind : Finger roll!

0:10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5liYhD-ads
QuebecBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #23
rfoster24
Decent playground baller

rfoster24 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlauber
Gervin was one of the greatest scorers of his era. Durant would have to have some spectacular seasons to come close to being compared with him

Ok, be honest every1. How many of you guys were actually older than 7 years old when this guy played in his prime. Cuz ppl always compare older players and i guaran-fukin-tee that very few ppl on this website ever watched a live game of bill russell. Everyone acts like they know everybody though.

Like honestly Russell prolly quit playing prolly b4 the 70s. Youd have to be 40 to be alive and 45-50 years old (at the very least, I didn't start watchin basketball on a regular basis until i was like 11), and I know there aren't a bunch of fugin 50 year olds on here callin each dick sucking trolls and shit.

Last edited by rfoster24 : 07-25-2010 at 12:47 AM.
rfoster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:29 AM   #24
momo
Value Ape.

momo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I really like Durant, but for christ sake, give the kid some time before comparing him to the ice man. Let him build up a resume.
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #25
Bigsmoke
Death Before Dishonor

Bigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputationBigsmoke has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo
I really like Durant, but for christ sake, give the kid some time before comparing him to the ice man. Let him build up a resume.

sit back and watch him get his MVP next season

Last edited by Bigsmoke : 07-25-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Bigsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:58 AM   #26
momo
Value Ape.

momo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermomo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
sit back and watch him get his MVP next seasobn

Would not surprise me a bit.
momo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:06 AM   #27
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

RoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoseCity07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I see a prime tmac/Dirk hybrid which is what everyone thougt he'd be.

Mcgrady was a scoring champ. Durant is a big though with a 3 point stroke. He can put the ball on the floor though, more like tmac than Dirk.

I don't know much about gervin. But Durant is one hell of a shooter.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:31 AM   #28
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner82
Durant's 3rd season vs Gervin's best season
Code:
Player FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS Gervin 13.1 24.9 .528 0.4 1.3 .314 6.5 7.6 .852 2.0 3.2 5.2 2.6 1.4 1.0 3.3 2.7 33.1 Durant 9.7 20.3 .476 1.6 4.3 .365 9.2 10.2 .900 1.3 6.3 7.6 2.8 1.4 1.0 3.3 2.1 30.1

Code:
Player PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48 Gervin 24.0 .587 .536 5.7 8.9 7.3 11.0 1.6 1.4 10.3 31.7 115 110 9.3 1.3 10.6 0.173 Durant 26.2 .607 .514 3.8 17.9 11.0 13.5 1.8 1.9 11.7 32.0 118 104 11.1 5.0 16.1 0.238

Durant dominates him across the board like I said. The only thing Gervin did more of was shoot.

60.7 TS vs 58.7
26.2 PER vs 24.0 PER
.238 WSp48 vs .173 WSp48

Comparison is a joke

How is that domination across the board? Gervin clearly scored 3 more PPG, only attempted 2-3 more shots, and shot a 53% FG%.

Sure Durant has a better TS%, but uh, you forget that when you brick more shots, the other team rebounds the ball more and gets a chance to score. TS% doesn't factor the extra possessions for the other team in, which = not a good stat to bring out. 3pt shots especially lead to the most defensive rebounds of any shot.

All of Durant's extra bricked shots cancel out his extra couple rebounds since he bricks a couple more shots per game (takes 2 more threes per game which = high chance of possession change)

Durant might become better than Gervin, but right now he isn't. At all.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #29
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Why Gervin though? Why not Dantley or Bernard King?
Gervin and KD had similar playing styles. Dantley and King were different types of players, both much more physical than the first two.

I agree that the comparison would be much better in 10 years, but right off the bat I'd say that KD will end up being a much better rebounder than the Iceman, but the roles on their teams is different.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:58 AM   #30
MasterDurant24
National High School Star

MasterDurant24 is a pretty well-respected posterMasterDurant24 is a pretty well-respected posterMasterDurant24 is a pretty well-respected poster

Gervin may be a legend but Durant is a far better defender and nearly as good as a scorer. Durant FTW.
MasterDurant24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: