Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 07-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default CLINTON PORTIS- Comeback Player of the Year??

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...pe-and-mo.html

Clinton Portis, in shape and motivated, will enter camp determined

Don't be surprised if Clinton Portis is among the top candidates for this season's NFL comeback player of the year award.

Although Portis has said little about his personal goals for 2010, the eight-year veteran is determined to show he's still an elite back capable of rushing for a 1,500-yard season, people familiar with his thinking said recently. Eager to prove his critics wrong, Portis has done everything Coach Mike Shanahan has asked of him, team sources said, and is expected to hold off fellow Pro Bowl backs Larry Johnson and Willie Parker for the starting job. Portis has surprised many in the organization with his positive outlook and hard work throughout the offseason program.

As many Insider readers are aware, I've been critical of Portis because of his lackadaisical approach toward practice, among other things. But he was energized by the firing of former coach Jim Zorn and the hiring of Shanahan, whom Portis played under during his first two (and best) seasons in the league, and will approach training camp and the preseason with enthusiasm, he has told several players.

In fact, after Shanahan in March publicly challenged Portis to improve his conditioning, Portis trimmed down to about 217 pounds after playing at more than 230 pounds last season, sources said. Portis's strong showing apparently has made a favorable impression on Shanahan.

To be sure, Johnson and Parker will have opportunities to unseat Portis when camp opens July 29 at Redskins Park. Portis, however, is in top shape and highly motivated.

He's also guaranteed $6.4 million of his $7.2 million base salary, so management presumably would prefer for Portis to be highly productive after a concussion cut short his ineffective 2009 season.

I'm scheduled to be part of today's panel on Comcast SportsNet's Washington Post Live with Ivan Carter. I'm sure we'll talk about the Redskins. We always do. Later.

Keep doubting fellow NFC East fans....Portis has always been a warrior on the field, Zorn just killed our team motivation.

If Clinton EVER won a Super Bowl (whther with WSH or not), he would have SERIOUS HALL OF FAME CREDENTIALS
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: CLINTON PORTIS- Comeback Player of the Year??

he may have a nice bounce back year to the 1,100 - 1,200 rushing yard range if healthy. Redskins offense should be good, Shanahan is a great coach, my personal favorite.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
SALFORD-RED
High School Starter

SALFORD-RED has an OK reputation so far

those 2 season on the broncos he was a beast,

now he is back playing for the same coach, good call OP.
SALFORD-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I hope him and Cooley bounce back with strong years.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
I hope him and Cooley bounce back with strong years.

I really see no reason why they wouldn't....save injuries and unless Fred Davis becomes Antonio Gates/ Tony Gonzo
Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

LJ gonna tear shit up like It's 2005/06.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Stinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputation

No chance considering how many miles he has on those tires. This guy hit a wall and lacks burst and explosiveness. Is often injured and is at the age where you hit a serious wall. Not to mention the Redskins interior line on paper is subpar. I can't envision more than 1,110 yards on a sub 4.3 ypc. Not sniffing double digit touchdowns either.
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:13 AM   #8
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
No chance considering how many miles he has on those tires. This guy hit a wall and lacks burst and explosiveness. Is often injured and is at the age where you hit a serious wall. Not to mention the Redskins interior line on paper is subpar. I can't envision more than 1,110 yards on a sub 4.3 ypc. Not sniffing double digit touchdowns either.
co-sign...

he may get the carries because they have no one else but he'll barely get over 4.0 YPC...
Old 07-27-2010, 03:28 AM   #9
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog

Clinton has only missed extended games two seasons of his career. Not sure how that is injury prone. Artis Hicks will now be starting at RG who was good enough to start for Minnesota which had a VERY solid O-line. Our Center Rabach is the weakest link but Dockery should flourish in Shanny's ZBS cuz he's always been nimble.

I see 1,300 yards for Clinton. I'll give you the sub 10 TD's cuz we will be scoring through the air far more often than before and LJ will be cleaning up in the red zone
Old 07-27-2010, 03:30 AM   #10
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
co-sign...

he may get the carries because they have no one else but he'll barely get over 4.0 YPC...

Yeah I agree that Mike Shanahan guy doesn't know anything about getting the most out of running backs or the rushing scheme in the NFL.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:34 AM   #11
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Yeah I agree that Mike Shanahan guy doesn't know anything about getting the most out of running backs or the rushing scheme in the NFL.
Don't get me wrong, Shanahan is my favorite coach of all-time. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Portis has spring left in his legs, on the plus side his injury last year saved him a lot of carries and last time he missed 8 games i think was 3 years ago? he bounced back great... I definitely think he's gonna get 20 carries a game... and he's there best 3rd down back to. I'm excited for the skins', Santana Moss has been aching for a big arm QB and he gets one.. Shanny is one of the best coaches in the league to me so you know he'll have his troops ready. LJ is my favorite RB of the past 6-7 years, but he's over it poor guy was run into the ground by Herm Edwards, although in KC last year his O-line was horrible.... so who knows. I like how Portis is focused this year though, I do have him as a sleeper in fantasy but that's more about situation and attempts than ability left in those legs.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 AM   #12
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

it has happened before...

*see 2004 Curtis Martin

but I doubt it...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 AM   #13
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, Shanahan is my favorite coach of all-time. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Portis has spring left in his legs, on the plus side his injury last year saved him a lot of carries and last time he missed 8 games i think was 3 years ago? he bounced back great... I definitely think he's gonna get 20 carries a game... and he's there best 3rd down back to. I'm excited for the skins', Santana Moss has been aching for a big arm QB and he gets one.. Shanny is one of the best coaches in the league to me so you know he'll have his troops ready. LJ is my favorite RB of the past 6-7 years, but he's over it poor guy was run into the ground by Herm Edwards, although in KC last year his O-line was horrible.... so who knows. I like how Portis is focused this year though, I do have him as a sleeper in fantasy but that's more about situation and attempts than ability left in those legs.

Clinton's an extremely savy back so the fact that he's at his old playing weight and has gotten to rest for numerous months without getting hit is extremely beneficial for his cause. Dude is a warrior, always has been so I like his mentality heading into the season.

Clinton Portis: 1,329 yds, 4.4 ypc, 9 TDs
Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 AM   #14
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Clinton's an extremely savy back so the fact that he's at his old playing weight and has gotten to rest for numerous months without getting hit is extremely beneficial for his cause. Dude is a warrior, always has been so I like his mentality heading into the season.

Clinton Portis: 1,329 yds, 4.4 ypc, 9 TDs
I felt this way about LT last year... I really thought LT was going for a big year but it turns out he was over it... Portis is definitely at a crossroads I would LOVE to see him have a great year and will definitely be supportive as he's a UM guy.

I hope your right though, if Portis is in form Washington can do anything in that division as tough as it is.... I'm believing in McNabb, Moss, Cooley etc. on offense already.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

Quote:
I felt this way about LT last year... I really thought LT was going for a big year but it turns out he was over it... Portis is definitely at a crossroads I would LOVE to see him have a great year and will definitely be supportive as he's a UM guy.

I hope your right though, if Portis is in form Washington can do anything in that division as tough as it is.... I'm believing in McNabb, Moss, Cooley etc. on offense already.

Yea I see why you're skeptical. You could be right but Portis my man so I'm just excited to see a competent offense led by an instictive QB and fixing our atrocious O-line. Don't forget that CP was a MAJOR MVP candidate first half of '08 before ppl figured out our wack offensive philosophy and the line broke down
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: