Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

Doomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation here
Default The one thing about MLB that I still can't figure out...

AL West = 4 teams

NL Central = 6 teams

every other division = 5 teams

it still doesn't make any sense no matter what the explanation is.

Houston should go to the AL West... problem solved.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
DFish
Banned

DFish posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDFish posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDFish posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: The one thing about MLB that I still can't figure out...

The main thing I can't figure out is how to watch the sport without falling asleep.

It's more effective than Ambien.
DFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

You need to have even teams in each league. AL has 14 and NL has 16. That way all teams can play in one day instead of two teams always sitting, because they have no one to face. (Unless you play interleague year-round). But as far as you not being able to figure it out, there it is...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
tian820
NBA lottery pick

tian820 is popular on this boardtian820 is popular on this boardtian820 is popular on this boardtian820 is popular on this boardtian820 is popular on this board

If there's something wrong with baseball, it's not that there are 2 divisions that have an even number of teams. More about finding a way to get people to sit through games more consistently
tian820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
You need to have even teams in each league. AL has 14 and NL has 16. That way all teams can play in one day instead of two teams always sitting, because they have no one to face. (Unless you play interleague year-round). But as far as you not being able to figure it out, there it is...
there is interleague play...that can't be it

I remember this coming up in here a couple years ago and someone posted a linnk that explained it.

I can't remember what the explanation was though...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-

I remember this coming up in here a couple years ago and someone posted a linnk that explained it.

I can't remember what the explanation was though...

Interleague is only a few set number of games/year. That is the reason.
Either AL needs to add 2, or NL needs to subtract 2.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:12 AM   #7
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

no salary cap is all what you need to know about MLB
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #8
AK47DR91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Interleague is only a few set number of games/year. That is the reason.
Either AL needs to add 2, or NL needs to subtract 2.
AL 14 + 2 = 16...NL 16 - 2 = 14. We'd be back to having 14 and 16 again but just the other league around.

As for the OP's question...could postseason set up of the wildcard and 3 divisions in each league be the reason? You need sets of 4 or 8 or 16 to have a playoff bracket unless you go with the NFL format were two teams get a bye.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47DR91
AL 14 + 2 = 16...NL 16 - 2 = 14. We'd be back to having 14 and 16 again but just the other league around.

he said "or" not, "and"

Quote:

I mentioned interleague. How many interleague series are there during the year? like 6 or so? That's about it. You don't play interleague throughout the year...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #10
artex
♫♪♫

artex is considered somewhat coolartex is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFish
The main thing I can't figure out is how to watch the sport without falling asleep.

It's more effective than Ambien.

you have to be a baller my friend
artex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #11
AK47DR91

Oh my bad, Sarcastic.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:09 AM   #12
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
End thread. Doesnt make sense at first glance but it's the perfect way to do it without adding teams or year round interleague.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #13
the_chosen_1
Decent playground baller

the_chosen_1 has decent reputation

One of the factors was the switch of Milwaukee to the National League. This was a team owned by MLB and headed by Selig, they wanted to make the team relevant adn not slip into KC Royals #2.
the_chosen_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: