These are the guys who were headed for greatness but were stopped maybe by injury, trouble with the law, or just being a flat out knucklehead. For example, Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill are often viewed as the "what if" guys of the NBA. I'll start with this guy...
- A 6th round pick who was the opening day starter as a rookie.
- Broncos all time leader in rushing yards.
- 1 time NFL rushing leader
- 3 years straight AFC rushing leader
- In Super Bowl XXXII he had 157 yards and 3 TD's, first to ever have 3 rushing TD's in the Super Bowl. Didn't even play the 2nd quarter.
- In Super Bowl XXXIII he had 102 yards rushing and 50 yards receiving.
- Super Bowl MVP award
- 1 time NFL MVP
- 2 time AP offensive player of the year
- 21 TD season
Why he's a what if guy?
- Never played more than 8 games in a season after age 26
- Only 17 total games played ages 27-29
- Tore his ACL and MCL in '99
- Stress reaction injury in leg in '00
- Arthroscopic surgery on both knees in '01