Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
crossover03
Can barely lace up my sneakers

crossover03 has an OK reputation so far
Default Is it wrong to shoot hoops and practice b-ball moves.........

by yourself on an empty court? Cause that's how I improve my game and it gives me confidence to attempt some of the moves in a pick-up game.
crossover03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default Re: Is it wrong to shoot hoops and practice b-ball moves.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossover03
by yourself on an empty court? Cause that's how I improve my game and it gives me confidence to attempt some of the moves in a pick-up game.

how could there possibly be something wrong with that? lol. Thats how you get better practice.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
forensic91
I airball my layups

forensic91 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Are you trolling by any chance? Thats how stupid your question sounds.
forensic91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by forensic91
Are you trolling by any chance? Thats how stupid your question sounds.

I think he's debating whether to practice or play actual games for self improvement.

I think you should never sacrifice playing a game to practice, but if you only have time for practice then practice and work on your skills. Reason being there's a lot of basketball you can't simulate w/ practice and only way to get good w/ that is to play.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Well, for me I used to practice like that. When I did, I would shoot better/flashy moves better(and would play a pick up game). Then I started doing a hybrid of that practice and working on fundamentals(didn't have much time for either). I liked the results the best but I wasn't great with any of them. Right now I'm working on fundamentals by doing a solid basketball training schedule and playing basketball with friends at the gym. The results were me getting smarter/knowing what to do in situations.

When I
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

Plus how do you know the move you're practice will work on defenders? What if it's not really as deceptive as you think? You have to play a lot and through trial and error, figure out what works.

Things like shooting, you should practice. Like head off the gym a little early and get shots up before you play or maybe after you play.

Practice in addition to games, not instead of games.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
a rock
I airball my layups

a rock has an OK reputation so far

Yes, if you have done this, you will forever be cursed in the eyes of Jesus.

In all seriousness, I did this for 3.5 hours a few days ago, it helped me with shooting and moves.
a rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:46 AM   #8
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

You have to practice moves just so you get the feeling of it... the muscle memory. Then you apply it in games and it will get more natural in time. You have to force yourself to try a lot of things in games... and that's how you get better.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:47 AM   #9
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

it's wrong if you are iverson

lol jk

practicing is good, and you should actually sacrifice playing time to practice, not many people actually do that also you should practice consistently instead of doing it for a long duration once in a while
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #10
fazzazz1k
"WE DA BESS"

fazzazz1k is starting to rub some people the wrong wayfazzazz1k is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Whatever works for you man is good enough. I rather play a game than practice on my own but there are times that putting on headphones listening to music and shooting hoops alone are great aswell.
fazzazz1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Nah man especially if you practice really hard. A lot of guys here talk about jumping high and getting up when you practice and play which really helps, but if you go really quick and long working on your first step you'll see you frist step get much quicker.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadefan11
Nah man especially if you practice really hard. A lot of guys here talk about jumping high and getting up when you practice and play which really helps, but if you go really quick and long working on your first step you'll see you frist step get much quicker.

Right, and most people don't do this. Most people just shoot around taking set shots and half ass layups... which is one reason why they have a hard time finishing around the rim.

If you jump all the time while practicing, then your vert will increase exponentially. Obv. at the beginning it will be annoying because you will miss jumpers and probably layups as well cus you won't be used to jumping high while doing them... but it's advantageous anyway because if you play at high levels, you will have to jump high just to get your shot off... and you will never have a problem getting it off just playing at the local gym.

I'm just tired of people saying "wow man he must have good genes or something" when they see people jumping high... dammit hall you have to do is jump a lot and you will be jumping high too... and if you lift on top of it you will be jumping even higher. It's simple. So yea, when you practice, just jump your ass off. You won't be able to last as long, but damn you will get a way better workout.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #13
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Right, and most people don't do this. Most people just shoot around taking set shots and half ass layups... which is one reason why they have a hard time finishing around the rim.

If you jump all the time while practicing, then your vert will increase exponentially. Obv. at the beginning it will be annoying because you will miss jumpers and probably layups as well cus you won't be used to jumping high while doing them... but it's advantageous anyway because if you play at high levels, you will have to jump high just to get your shot off... and you will never have a problem getting it off just playing at the local gym.

I'm just tired of people saying "wow man he must have good genes or something" when they see people jumping high... dammit hall you have to do is jump a lot and you will be jumping high too... and if you lift on top of it you will be jumping even higher. It's simple. So yea, when you practice, just jump your ass off. You won't be able to last as long, but damn you will get a way better workout.

Yeah exactly and its the same with everything else. If you practice deep 3's everyday it will feel weird at first but you'll get range. If you go extremely hard doing crossovers your crossover will be quicker. It makes games easier.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #14
beermonsteroo
Banned

beermonsteroo posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrybeermonsteroo posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:

Of course aou should do this.That's the only way to get better. You don't getter better by just playing pickup games. You've gotta work on the fundamentals first!
beermonsteroo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: