Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: 50 MPG and not a hybrid?

on Top gear in England, Jermey Clarkson drove a Deisel Audi A8 from London to Edinburgh and back on one tank (800 miles) its a great piece of TV to watch, his warning light comes on like 100 miles away, then he runs completley out of fuel with 5 miles to go but the car keeps going some how

you tube it

here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIHdpmTIrFw part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeIp7...t=1& index=68 part 2

Last edited by craigthomasb : 08-19-2010 at 11:26 AM.
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #17
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moan
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...diesel/4235586

VW Jetta's equipped with diesel motors have been capable of 50 mpg for years now, just poor marketing by VW. I don't think i have to mention the advantages a diesel motor verses that of a hybrid's.
meh, what about diesel hybrids?

also, lots of cars can get really good gas mileage (friend had a 99? manual civic that got about 48 highway). When I was a young teen (16+ years ago) my engrish relatives had cars that got 60 IIRC (Imperial gallon).

The technology has been there for years.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #18
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgamer20o0
plus its a lot cheaper in many cases. also if you are into the whole save earth thing doesnt have a big battery to deal with once the life of the car is over.

there are a ton of cars that get great mpg. heck look at all the cars over in Europe. the reason why are they not over here? people want power over mpg it seems.
its not about what people want. its about marketing

look at the # of people who signed up to lease EV-1 when they came out (a true electric car that was in production for a couple of years in the mid 90s - until mobil bought the patent on the technology and sat on it). There is a market for good economy cars in the US that is much bigger than they would have you realize.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #19
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Lots of diesel engines in normal cars do not meet US emissions standards despite their phenomenal mpg.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #20
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Lots of diesel engines in normal cars do not meet US emissions standards despite their phenomenal mpg.
huh, didnt know that. Why exactly?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:25 PM   #21
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't know the technology behind it, but I've read, more than once, that most European style diesel engines in compact cars and sedans don't meet US emission standards and when you put in place the equipment to filter the exhaust you lose the aforementioned mpg.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #22
asd
High school junior varsity star

asd has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
huh, didnt know that. Why exactly?

diesel engines are far more damaging to the lungs than petrol engines because they can release ~100 times more particles into the air

but hey, it gets 50MPG, so who cares?
asd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #23
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd
diesel engines are far more damaging to the lungs than petrol engines because they can release ~100 times more particles into the air

but hey, it gets 50MPG, so who cares?
were you born a little **** or did you become one after your teacher molested you?

Last I checked, Im not trying to breathe in exhaust, regardless of what type of engine it came from. and, yes, who cares, if the carbon is already part of the cycle (i.e. biofuels, like the peanut oil that diesel was built to run on). otherwise, its a moot point as to which is worse.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #24
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

and they have had electric cars that can go 100 miles on a single charge since the 1920s.

they simply choose not to develop them.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #25
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Implementing hybrid engines in most cars will do wonders for the environment. I'm not sure how others work, but my Fusion gas engine shuts off as soon as the car stops so it's not running while waiting at lights or in city traffic.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #26
asd

Quote:
yes, who cares, if the carbon is already part of the cycle (i.e. biofuels, like the peanut oil that diesel was built to run on). otherwise, its a moot point as to which is worse.

Listen, genius.. The 2009 vw Jetta TDi in this article only runs on 5% biodiesel.

5% is fried oil that you can find in your favorite restaurants...kfc, mcdonalds, etc...

the other 95% is from petro diesel

Quote:
Last I checked, Im not trying to breathe in exhaust, regardless of what type of engine it came from.

You may not be "trying" to breathe it in, but do you think that you're free from it because you're "trying" not to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancer.org
Exposure to diesel exhaust is widespread in the modern world. Trucks, buses, trains, construction and farm equipment, generators, ships, and some cars have diesel engines. Exhaust from these engines brings a complex mixture of soot and gases to roadways, cities, farms, and other workplaces. Health concerns about diesel exhaust relate not only to cancer, but also to lung (respiratory) and heart diseases.

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerC...diesel-exhaust
Old 08-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #27
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

no, clearly Im not. I recognize that we expose ourselves to terrible shit in exchange for combustion.

also my biodiesel comment wasnt meant to be relevant to the car in the OP. Simply stating that I am much less concerned about exhaust from biodiesel since its already a part of the carbon cycle.

Meanwhile, you still havent addressed my initial post you cited about WHY they have increased emissions relative to standard combustion engines. Simply stating that they do doesnt help me learn anything.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #28
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Via wikipedia:

Quote:
Diesel engines produce very little carbon monoxide as they burn the fuel in excess air even at full load, at which point the quantity of fuel injected per cycle is still about 50 percent lean of stoichiometric. However, they can produce black soot (or more specifically diesel particulate matter) from their exhaust. The black smoke consists of carbon compounds that were not combusted, because of local low temperatures where the fuel is not fully atomized. These local low temperatures occur at the cylinder walls, and at the outside of large droplets of fuel. At these areas where it is relatively cold, the mixture is rich (contrary to the overall mixture which is lean). The rich mixture has less air to burn and some of the fuel turns into a carbon deposit. Modern car engines use a diesel particulate filter (DPF) to capture carbon particles and then intermittently burn them using extra fuel injected directly into the filter. This prevents carbon buildup at the expense of wasting a small quantity of fuel.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #29
asd

Quote:

also my biodiesel comment wasnt meant to be relevant to the car in the OP. Simply stating that I am much less concerned about exhaust from biodiesel since its already a part of the carbon cycle.

i see. you were referring to, "meh, what about diesel hybrids?"

only 5%-20% of the fumes from your diesel hybrids is recycled by the carbon cycle

just like the jetta in the OP

Quote:

Meanwhile, you still havent addressed my initial post you cited about WHY they have increased emissions relative to standard combustion engines. Simply stating that they do doesnt help me learn anything.

it's been over 5 years since my last chem class in college, but in a nutshell,

diesel fuel is thick. as a result, it takes much more energy to make it vaporate, so instead of your car's exhaust emitting something that is less visible, it comes out full of particles....aka smog

your "diesel hybrids" still use 80%-95% of the petro diesel and only 5%-20% of the clean stuff
Old 08-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #30
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Via wikipedia:
thanks duece
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: