Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 08-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

Default T-Mac???

There's rumors out there that T-Mac might sign with Detroit for the minimum. Strange move to me. Obviously if he was back to form he would be a huge asset. I just don't see us needing another SG. My guess would be if they sign him that's the end of Rips career here in Detroit.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Default Re: T-Mac???

He's a SF. Cheap gamble and probably means a perimeter guy is going to be dealt.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

He's always ploayed sg way more than sf
Old 08-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

dont like it and dont see it happening. why would he accept the min when we still have the MLE available.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
He's always ploayed sg way more than sf

I guess he did when Grant Hill was healthy, but he played SF next to Carter and mostly SF in Houston
Old 08-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

He needs to accept the minimum because that is what the market it offering. No team is giving him their MLE. It's not like the contract is set in stone yet anyway. Maybe they are giving him more money. Regardless of the position he plays, it would mean the end for either Rip or Tay, but I believe it would be Rip. We have a lot of guys who can play the 2 and 3 so it just creates a bigger log jam.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I guess he did when Grant Hill was healthy, but he played SF next to Carter and mostly SF in Houston
thats not true (about houston). Battier was the sf, he was the sg. now, at times he played the 3 (even guarded dirk in one series).
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

Yup, Battier was the SF. Typically Battier would play defense on the toughest player to guard, whether it be SF or SG, just because T-Mac has never played D....
Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
dd24
College superstar

Well, it looks like it is official. I think it's a good move. We can't really go wrong with signing a guy like McGrady for the minimum. I've said it a million times now, any team should have wanted him for that kind of investment. The nice thing in Detroit is even if we move Rip or Tay there's still enough depth at the 2 and 3 that if McGrady doesn't work out it doesn't matter. They'll make up that contract in the initial ticket sales fairly easily. If he comes back this year and plays at 80%-85% of what he was than this is an amazing deal. If he can be that guy who we can just give the ball to when we need a bucket that would be huge. If we look at this honestly, when can we say was the last time we had a guy on the team with scoring potential like this? Maybe Grant Hill in his prime before the injury. It'll be interesting to see if he can make a decent comeback this year. It actually intrigues me a bit for this season.

I actually like how Joe D takes these types of gambles. It's low risk with a potential for a high pay out. McGrady isn't going to want to leave the league on a bad note. He was too good of a player for too many years. He's going to want to prove to everyone he still has something left in the tank. I'm sure from a mental standpoint he'll be able to do so. It's the physical aspect that we need to happen for us. As long as his body lets him do some of the things he used to he'll be a nice addition.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

I'm kind of indifferent to the move, mainly because of his history of back problems, and those type of ailments are tough to overcome. But I have less concern as we have the best staff in the league with Kander and Abdenour and they should do their magic to keep McGrady healthy and on the court.

I like to keep my expectations low and if he does better, then I end up being more pleased…

Good bang for the buck I suppose. Really not much to loose with this signing.

Still curious to what kind of trades are in store…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:36 AM   #11
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Sounds like we'll see a Prince trade soon, possibly for a trade exception or cap space and draft pick
Old 08-12-2010, 02:09 AM   #12
dd24
College superstar

Where do you see that? Detroit doesn't need cap relief and they don't need a trade exception. I think they will trade to trade Rip first. Tay is too valueable. I don't think they are ready to turn over the SF position to McGrady, Summers, Daye, or Jerebko. If Tay goes it won't be for nothing. They'll get a big man in return. I've talked about Biedrins before but I'm even a little uneasy about that. I'm not sure it would make us a better team right now that's for sure. Even if he was traded for a lottery pick I would be uneasy about that. Not all lottery picks are impact players. Tay is. Let's not sell ourselves short here.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
dealer77
I open layup bricks

the deal is a plus for so many reasons:

-veterans minimum contract (doesn't count against the cap)
-potential for above average/high payout
-depth in the instance that we unjam the SF/SG logs
-ticket sales
-arnie kander

arnie's worked his magic before, most notably with antonio mcdyess, and you'd think he'd be able to at least make him substantially better than he was in new york. we're not getting the 2 scoring title t-mac of old, but he should still be a solid, reasonably healthy contributor with arnie's help.
dealer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:07 PM   #14
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Where do you see that? Detroit doesn't need cap relief and they don't need a trade exception. I think they will trade to trade Rip first. Tay is too valueable. I don't think they are ready to turn over the SF position to McGrady, Summers, Daye, or Jerebko. If Tay goes it won't be for nothing. They'll get a big man in return. I've talked about Biedrins before but I'm even a little uneasy about that. I'm not sure it would make us a better team right now that's for sure. Even if he was traded for a lottery pick I would be uneasy about that. Not all lottery picks are impact players. Tay is. Let's not sell ourselves short here.

I guess I just don't agree. This is kind of a rebuild season, though I hope to make the playoffs at the same time. If Prince or Rip can bring us a C, that's fine, I'll do it, but we don't need another 1-4 at all, we are almost too deep. I would rather save the money and simply shed Rip/Tay if possible, ideally getting a draft pick. I don't need the exception to use, I'd just let it expire. I mean, Daye needs minutes at the 3, Summers or Jerebko will get some minutes there, TMac will get minutes there and Rip will as well, as there aren't enough minutes for him and Gordon not to play together for 10-15 per game. Tay will leave after the season anyways.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #15
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I guess I just don't agree. This is kind of a rebuild season, though I hope to make the playoffs at the same time. If Prince or Rip can bring us a C, that's fine, I'll do it, but we don't need another 1-4 at all, we are almost too deep. I would rather save the money and simply shed Rip/Tay if possible, ideally getting a draft pick. I don't need the exception to use, I'd just let it expire. I mean, Daye needs minutes at the 3, Summers or Jerebko will get some minutes there, TMac will get minutes there and Rip will as well, as there aren't enough minutes for him and Gordon not to play together for 10-15 per game. Tay will leave after the season anyways.

The bottom line is if Detroit lets Tay go for nothing they will be rebuilding much longer. Potentially a high lottery pick can be worth a gamble but I'd rather go for a for sure deal where we know what we are getting. Detroit is right about at the cap so there is no reason to shed payroll. If Tay signs somewhere else next year then we'll have cap room to sign someone as well. I'm still not for trading him for nothing. If we were going to let someone go for next to nothing it would be Rip before Tay.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: