Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #16
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
There hasn't been much more to the Eli trade. The cap space created was somewhat minimal cause Eli was still paid as the top pick and you can not guarantee if the picks they lost would have made the team.

Yeah but i think giving up the following years first round pick saved money?

I dunno. Someone broke it down (Giants fan) when the trade went down but i forgot. Ehhh, even still that wasnt a good deal. Eli was overrated. Rivers was better in college. Like you said his last name isnt Manning and we arent talkin about him now.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:33 PM   #17
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

I can't see them getting rid of Brees in that circumstance though.

Not even Eli Manning could look bad playing with Tomlinson, Smith, and Antonio Gates.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #18
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Yeah but i think giving up the following years first round pick saved money?

I dunno. Someone broke it down (Giants fan) when the trade went down but i forgot. Ehhh, even still that wasnt a good deal. Eli was overrated. Rivers was better in college. Like you said his last name isnt Manning and we arent talkin about him now.
Maybe I'm just biased and can't look past the fact that they traded for a guy that if he was was Leroy Brown and not Manning would have been a fringe first/second round guy.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #19
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Cool is considered somewhat coolCool is considered somewhat cool

I think Philip Rivers definetly. Let me list my reasons why:

1. He is a great competitor and a great team leader. And he is very calm and collect under pressure. Also when his team or him gets down they never give up no matter how much there losing by or how much there atitude is down.

2. He has a great arm. With very good accuracy and excellent power. He is way better then Eli. Eli is very inconsistent and Philip is very consistent. He plays his heart ot every game. And he never lets an interception or a bad play get to him. And that is a sign of a great football player.

3. Finally if we were to compare the 2 teams. The Chargers are clearly the better team. They have very dangerous offense and there defense is getting better and once Merriman comes back the quarterbacks will be injured left and right. So the clear and Obvious winner is PHILIP RIVERS.
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:38 PM   #20
lebron_zoom
Great young streetballer

lebron_zoom has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool
3. Finally if we were to compare the 2 teams. The Chargers are clearly the better team. They have very dangerous offense and there defense is getting better and once Merriman comes back the quarterbacks will be injured left and right. So the clear and Obvious winner is PHILIP RIVERS.
I completely agree that the Chargers are a much better team, BUT dont underestimate the Giants Defence, when healthy theres not much better and is probably a better D then San Diego, but they have a tendancy to lose about half the starting defence to injury by mid-season. Strahan, Arrington, Madison, Umenyiora.
lebron_zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:56 PM   #21
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

TEXAS BATMAN has decent reputationTEXAS BATMAN has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Not even Eli Manning could look bad playing with Tomlinson, Smith, and Antonio Gates.

Amani Toomer (cur injured), Plaxico, Tiki Barber (led league in rushing up until last week), and Jeremy Shockey (PB Tight End). Eli has the better receiving corps, but the backs and tight ends kinda cancel each other out.

My curiousity was always peaked because I'd watch Brees in SD playing brilliant, and it was widely stated that anything short of a pro bowl season would get him benched in favor of Rivers. So I was curious as to who this kid was chomping at the bit. Guy was groomed and prepped until he was ready. Like Royce's Rock City, Phillips was built for this.
TEXAS BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:18 PM   #22
lebron_zoom
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS BATMAN
Amani Toomer (cur injured), Plaxico, Tiki Barber (led league in rushing up until last week), and Jeremy Shockey (PB Tight End). Eli has the better receiving corps, but the backs and tight ends kinda cancel each other out.

At this very moment though, SD has the better receivin corp. toomers on IT, LT has better receiving abilities than Tiki, Gates is better than Shocks but McCardell is worse than PBS (Burress). By the way you might wanna think through Tiki cancelling out with LT and Gates cancelling with Shockey. LT has over 450 receiving yards and 3 TDs, Tiki has just over 300 and 0 TDs. Gates has over 520 receiving yards and 4 TDs, Shocks has 400 but 5 TDs. Gates is still overall much better though

Last edited by lebron_zoom : 11-22-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #23
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

The better debate is Eli or Grossman. For a guy that gets blasted by many Grossman's statistics are even better than Eli's. Both are extremely inconsistent.

Rivers is at a much higher level than Eli.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #24
lebron_zoom
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
The better debate is Eli or Grossman.

the difference is Eli sucks constantly, just as simple as that
Old 11-22-2006, 09:46 PM   #25
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
The better debate is Eli or Grossman. For a guy that gets blasted by many Grossman's statistics are even better than Eli's. Both are extremely inconsistent.

Rivers is at a much higher level than Eli.

I agree. He is making smart decision out on the field. And he is not going through a learning groove were he makes mistakes. He has not made that many mistakes and he is playing like a veteran.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #26
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

dgbigballer9329 has an OK reputation so far

I've always been on the Eli sucks bandwagon......I just never saw all the potential in him. What's supposed to be his best asset? He doesn't have great arm strength, isn't mobile, and is unpoised in the pocket?? His decision-making supposed to be his strength?? Cause he makes 1-2 horrible throws per game.

I will say I'm shocked by Rivers thus far. I was doubting him coming out of college too. He threw dump off passes at NCState, I watched him for years up close. But he's really impressed me. They need to get a wideout badly though. They're doing ok now but as the season wears along, they're going to need a wideout to go on 3rd down situations, because as of now they stack Gates and their wideouts don't make many plays. By the playoffs someone has to emerge, if not they'll lose somewhere along the line. If so, they could be in the Show.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:00 PM   #27
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

dgbigballer9329 has an OK reputation so far

On a sidenote what the **** is up with Plaxico Burress??? He has got to be the most hit or miss receiver I've ever seen.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:29 PM   #28
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

I'd take Eli. Earlier on this year he was looking like the 5th or 6th best QB in the league. The team has hit a hump offensively and defensively and Toomer who was having a good year is gone. Now he's left with both inconsistent, yet hella talented Shockey and Burress. He's gonna be a great one, and so is Rivers, but Eli still has more talent.

And if you're looking at college numbers, **** that. Eli made Ole Miss a dangerous team while playing in the SEC, definately the toughest conference, and with zero help.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:33 PM   #29
lebron_zoom
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
I'd take Eli.

you lost all my respect with those three words, way to shake things up though, some pretty good points
Old 11-23-2006, 12:02 AM   #30
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
I'd take Eli. Earlier on this year he was looking like the 5th or 6th best QB in the league. The team has hit a hump offensively and defensively and Toomer who was having a good year is gone. Now he's left with both inconsistent, yet hella talented Shockey and Burress. He's gonna be a great one, and so is Rivers, but Eli still has more talent.

And if you're looking at college numbers, **** that. Eli made Ole Miss a dangerous team while playing in the SEC, definately the toughest conference, and with zero help.

You have good points. But the way Eli is looking right now and the way Rivers is playing right now. Rivers has a better team and has more potential. His overall team is way better then the Giants. The Chargers are one of the best teams in the NFL and the giants are fighting to stay in the playoff race. And also when Elis team is down he and they seems like they just fall apart. But when Philips team gets down he is on the sideline telling them this aint over lets keep going. And it has shown he is a proven leader with the last two games. With those amazing comebacks. There the only team that has been down by 17 and comeback twice in a row. If that was Eli or if we still had Brees. I dont think they would have came through. But we have a great quarterback with great potential.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: