Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #31
crosso√er
Decent college freshman

crosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: 348 Of The Best Movies According To...

#340.

SHUTTER ISLAND

Plot: It's 1954, and up-and-coming U.S. marshal Teddy Daniels is assigned to investigate the disappearance of a patient from Boston's Shutter Island Ashecliffe Hospital. He's been pushing for an assignment on the island for personal reasons, but before long he wonders whether he hasn't been brought there as part of a twisted plot by hospital doctors whose radical treatments range from unethical to illegal to downright sinister. Teddy's shrewd investigating skills soon provide a promising lead, but the hospital refuses him access to records he suspects would break the case wide open. As a hurricane cuts off communication with the mainland, more dangerous criminals "escape" in the confusion, and the puzzling, improbable clues multiply, Teddy begins to doubt everything - his memory, his partner, even his own sanity.

My Take: Shutter Island had an involving and entertaining beginning; subsequently it slowly started juggling the bomb before it finally exploded and ruined the entire movie for me. This was supposed to be a creepy psychological thriller that lacked psychology, characterization, suspense and tension. Scorsese's superb construction and a fine ensemble cast is the reason this movie is on the list. Shutter Island reminded me so much of "28 Days Later"; an intriguing idea that falls short, but this movie isn't a failure as much as it is a giant disappointment. At the beginning I felt like this could have been one of the greatest films ever produced, at the end I had to confirm whether or not this movie was really crafted by a legendary director. Sure the movie itself makes the gothic genre proud, but fails to transcend it. The ending is its biggest short fall; it leaves the audience disoriented but ultimately unfulfilled. I think the films biggest strength is its artistic design and a masterful manipulation of the narrative.

Bottom line, Shutter Island offers sumptuous, enthralling and sly lines in asylum humor. The movie itself was crafted beautifully as we'd all expect; however even with the movie's ominous tone and dreary settings, I couldn't help but dreading it's predictable conclusion. I'm not insulting Scorsese; because the man still finds lucid ways to preserve Lehane's intricate forshadowing as well as the story's layered narrative and primarily its visuals. To summarize this film with one sentence; a beautifully crafted film that suffers from a surfeit of plot ingredients.

Plot: D-
Character: B+
Diction: A
Melody: B+
Spectacle: D
Replay Value: D
Overall: C-

Quotable

Warden: We wage war, we burn sacrifices we pillage and plunder and treat at the flesh of our brothers and why? Because God gave us violence to wage in his honor.
Teddy Daniels: I thought God gave us moral orders.
Warden: There is no moral orders as pure as this storm. There's no moral order at all. There's just this: can my violence conquer yours?

Teddy Daniels: [final lines; Teddy's taking to his partner] You know, this place makes me wonder...
Chuck Aule: Yeah, what's that, boss?
Teddy Daniels: Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?
Chuck Aule: [as Teddy walks out to meet the orderlies] Teddy?

Teddy Daniels: [final lines; Teddy's taking to his partner] You know, this place makes me wonder...
Chuck Aule: Yeah, what's that, boss?
Teddy Daniels: Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?
Chuck Aule: [as Teddy walks out to meet the orderlies] Teddy?

Shutter Island Trailer
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #32
soadrules
Good High School Starter

soadrules has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
Those movies suck. White Men Can't Jump was decent at one time, but it's slang is so dated that it's impossible for me to take that movie seriously at this point. And Rosie Perez is about as bad as it gets.

Dude, there are 348 movies. Of course the ones at the bottom aren't going to be that great.

Not sure why this thread has a low rating, I appreciate the reviews and it gives me yet another list to check out some movies I may have forgotten to watch.
soadrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #33
crosso√er
Decent college freshman

crosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soadrules
Dude, there are 348 movies. Of course the ones at the bottom aren't going to be that great.

Not sure why this thread has a low rating, I appreciate the reviews and it gives me yet another list to check out some movies I may have forgotten to watch.

I'd say movies will become a lot more intriguing once I reach the B level tier.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #34
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thread is definitely entertaining. Haven't had much to say so far, just reading. Keep up the good work. And don't listen to hotlanta, no one else does, either.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #35
soadrules
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosso√er
I'd say movies will become a lot more intriguing once I reach the B level tier.

I was surprised by Shutter Island being so high on the list, but oh well. I don't think it was all that great, but I'm just intrigued as to what will be placed above it.

As any list, a lot of it is opinion, but I didn't expect it to be all that low. Still following though, and good luck with the rest of your list.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #36
crosso√er
Decent college freshman

Quote:
I was surprised by Shutter Island being so high on the list, but oh well. I don't think it was all that great, but I'm just intrigued as to what will be placed above it.

As any list, a lot of it is opinion, but I didn't expect it to be all that low. Still following though, and good luck with the rest of your list.

Did you mean Shutter Island was too high (as in it shouldn't be on the list at all) or too low, as it should have been way higher on my list?

Shutter Island was not a great film overall; it did not connect its points very well and the plot was utterly mediocre at best. Despite the movie being crafted superbly, it lacked a lot of substance to me.

There are countless of great movies on this list, and there will be many movies that are completely foreign that I'm positive many of you guys have not seen or heard of before.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #37
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Shutter Island looks out of place amongst those other mediocre movies. WMCJ wasn't too bad.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #38
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

What do you mean? There's a lot more than 348 good movies.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 AM   #39
ukplayer4
NBA lottery pick

ukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterukplayer4 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Shutter Island looks out of place amongst those other mediocre movies. WMCJ wasn't too bad.

this.
ukplayer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:55 AM   #40
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Horde of Temujin has decent reputation

White Men Cant Jump is a great view, very funny and revolves around our favorite sport, i dont know i guess i just dont expect too much from it.
Horde of Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #41
soadrules
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Did you mean Shutter Island was too high (as in it shouldn't be on the list at all) or too low, as it should have been way higher on my list?

Shutter Island was not a great film overall; it did not connect its points very well and the plot was utterly mediocre at best. Despite the movie being crafted superbly, it lacked a lot of substance to me.

There are countless of great movies on this list, and there will be many movies that are completely foreign that I'm positive many of you guys have not seen or heard of before.

I meant that I think it's better than you make it out to be, as in, it should be ranked among 100's (OK, I'm completely full of crap for pulling this number out of nowhere, but you get what I mean). It does look out of place, but like I said, it's your list and I'd like to see what you rank above it. Looking forward to the rest of your list.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #42
crosso√er
Decent college freshman

Bump, wasn't online at all for the last two weeks; going to update this list soon.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #43
Waking_Life
El Fuego Del Saber

Waking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukplayer4
wow, several jaw droopingly bad films so far, but then as you said- these are just films you enjoy, atleast you arent delusional.
QFT
Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #44
crosso√er
Decent college freshman

I have finalized my list; at least 500 movies I gathered from my personal movie collection. Will rank them from in a descending order with a simple trailer as a reference when I have time to actually merit each movie.

I'll create a similar post; it's movies that I've personally seen in my lifetime.
I don't think I have the time due to work/baby/wife/school, to actually finalize the list in-depth as I started to in this thread. I probably could it just will take a substantial amount of time.

Stay tuned.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #45
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
#348. RENAISSANCE MAN
#347. BLUE STREAK
#346. G.I. JANE
#345. RAT RACE
#344. THE RING
#343. LAW ABIDING CITIZEN
#342. ALPHA DOG
#341. WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP
#340. SHUTTER ISLAND

I'm shocked by the inconsistency of the quality of these movies that are close in rank. White Men Can't Jump is just 1 movie removed from being as good as Shutter Island? I feel like there should be plenty of movies in between those two.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: