Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default Trying To Get A Scholarship

Ok im entering my senior year of HS and I am desperately trying to get a basketball scholarship. I haven't played AAU but I am looking to join a team for the fall season since I may be too late for the summer. Anyway next year I am most likely going to be a key part of the team BUT my HS team is weak and I may be looking to transfer but if I do transfer a spot is not guaranteed. Either I stay in this school were my spot is guaranteed but little exposure or I transfer and try and get a spot which is risky.

But Im just trying to find a way to catch the attention of a college coach, I have emailed a few to show my interest.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Trying To Get A Scholarship

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
Ok im entering my senior year of HS and I am desperately trying to get a basketball scholarship. I haven't played AAU but I am looking to join a team for the fall season since I may be too late for the summer. Anyway next year I am most likely going to be a key part of the team BUT my HS team is weak and I may be looking to transfer but if I do transfer a spot is not guaranteed. Either I stay in this school were my spot is guaranteed but little exposure or I transfer and try and get a spot which is risky.

But Im just trying to find a way to catch the attention of a college coach, I have emailed a few to show my interest.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Got any video in game action? Combine it with video of you running through drills. Include a no-BS shot of your actual height and weight. Include your scholastics and a personal "interview". If you come across as realistic, determined, bright enough to be coachable, etc it helps your cause. This is YOUR commercial; make sure you do it right. Even find someone from your school AV department to make sure the thing looks slick. Burn to disc, youtube...wherever you can show it.

Send discs to schools where you realistically could compete. Determining this may actually be the toughest part of the process.

Don't just send the disc to the athletic dept or basketball office. Get a name other than the head coach...lead recruiter, assistants... and send it to them. Send as many as you can afford. Follow-up with a phone call (MUCH better than an email...shows more persistence, and you're tougher to ignore) to see if they've received it. Be a pain in the ass, but respectful of their time and decisions.

In all honesty, if you haven't had any feelers at this point and are a key piece (but not The Man) on a weak team, it's an uphill battle. But if it's your dream, pursue it with everything you've got. Consider a juco with a decent program. Walk-on. Whatever it takes. Your shot expires in about 3 years, so make the best of it.

Good luck. Work hard. The harder you work, the luckier you'll get.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
DevDaAllstar
Can barely lace up my sneakers

DevDaAllstar has an OK reputation so far

Do you play any teams with college prospects on them? If so, you gotta put up numbers vs them. Or put up numbers in state playoff games, but your team is weak so IDK.

My best friend played for a highly academic private school and was a beast, but got no scholarship offers. My cousin won the state championship one year and avg 4 pts a game (starter though), but got 2 scholarship offers. Anybody I know who got scholarships either was all-state/all-region or went to the state playoffs or both. They also attended various bball camps.
DevDaAllstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
1manfastbreak
B A Y A R E A , C A

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevDaAllstar
Do you play any teams with college prospects on them? If so, you gotta put up numbers vs them. Or put up numbers in state playoff games, but your team is weak so IDK.

My best friend played for a highly academic private school and was a beast, but got no scholarship offers. My cousin won the state championship one year and avg 4 pts a game (starter though), but got 2 scholarship offers. Anybody I know who got scholarships either was all-state/all-region or went to the state playoffs or both. They also attended various bball camps.

this. if i were you i would go to a JC after hs, that will be your best bet to get a scholly. plus your taking the same classes you would be at a 4 year for a much cheaper price. what state do you live in?
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
MannyO
Super Cool E

Im 16 yrs old, turning 17 in October.
I like the idea of having a video of me playing and a self interview. Our school is having a summer league game against a top prospect named sheldon hagigal and that can be my shot to go at him and hopefully a college coach will see my game and like it. I also need to get myself into exposure camps after the season, and hopefully I get some college looks during the season but my school doesn't get much exposure so that will be hard.

oh and I live in NY
Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Im 16 yrs old, turning 17 in October.
I like the idea of having a video of me playing and a self interview. Our school is having a summer league game against a top prospect named sheldon hagigal and that can be my shot to go at him and hopefully a college coach will see my game and like it. I also need to get myself into exposure camps after the season, and hopefully I get some college looks during the season but my school doesn't get much exposure so that will be hard.

oh and I live in NY

go to eastern invitational or pocanoes invitational basketball camp. Give out work and make all star team, then count the offers
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
go to eastern invitational or pocanoes invitational basketball camp. Give out work and make all star team, then count the offers

I am going to try and go to one of those exposure camps but my parents are saying its too expensive idk this process is getting frustrating. I need to get to one of these exposure camps, do you know of any cheaper ones?
Old 07-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
Grizz
I airball my layups

Grizz has an OK reputation so far

Are you trying to get a D1 Scholarship? If so you got to be a superb athlete and strong mentally. How tall are you?
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:28 AM   #9
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz
Are you trying to get a D1 Scholarship? If so you got to be a superb athlete and strong mentally. How tall are you?

Im going to be 100% realistic, I will be happy to get a high D2 scholarship. All I want is a basketball scholarship so I can go to school free and play the sport I love, a D1 scholarship will be a dream come true.

Btw I am 6'0, above average athlete and working on improving my mental game.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:53 AM   #10
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Im going to be 100% realistic, I will be happy to get a high D2 scholarship. All I want is a basketball scholarship so I can go to school free and play the sport I love, a D1 scholarship will be a dream come true.

Btw I am 6'0, above average athlete and working on improving my mental game.

lilojmayo said he got offered a basketball scholarship recently for a high d2 school, you might want to ask him what he did. I know one of my friends got a basketball scholarship back when we were in high school about 6 years ago. He was simply the best player on the team, and a college scout watched one of our games and then offered him.

A scholarship is hard to get at any level. Any average D2 school or better can have a guy or two who has the ability to play high level D1 ball or even play overseas in euroleague.

As long as you have some skill, impress scouts when they see you play, and are coachable a team will take a chance on .

On the sidenote your going to be a 16 year old by the start of your senior year,so you started high school when you were 13?.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
lilojmayo said he got offered a basketball scholarship recently for a high d2 school, you might want to ask him what he did. I know one of my friends got a basketball scholarship back when we were in high school about 6 years ago. He was simply the best player on the team, and a college scout watched one of our games and then offered him.

A scholarship is hard to get at any level. Any average D2 school or better can have a guy or two who has the ability to play high level D1 ball or even play overseas in euroleague.

As long as you have some skill, impress scouts when they see you play, and are coachable a team will take a chance on .

On the sidenote your going to be a 16 year old by the start of your senior year,so you started high school when you were 13?.

Oh, Im just trying to play in front of a college coach and put on a show and hopefully they will have interest in me. I just need that chance to be seen by coaches and I am really hoping that they show up at my HS games. Yea I started HS at 13, a bit young for my class.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #12
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

I've been very interested in playing basketball in college so here's some tips I picked up from the research I did.

Definitely get your name out there. Make highlight reels and post them youtube and other video sharing sites. Consider hosting a blog taking viewers through your daily workouts and some game footage. You want coaches and the general public to start talking about you.

If you know any coaches, talk to them before the season starts, tell them your goals and what you are trying to do. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out.

Also continue to look for exposure camps. Alot of my friends went to the Hoop Mountain camp and talked to college coaches there.

Like Birmingham1955 said, college players are truly at another level than high school players. I've played against a guy who went to a D3 college and now plays professionally overseas. But don't be intimidated by that, use that as inspiration/motivation to improve. You have a whole year and you can accomplish a great deal in that time. Just be smart, stay out of trouble, get noticed and work hard.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #13
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I've been very interested in playing basketball in college so here's some tips I picked up from the research I did.

Definitely get your name out there. Make highlight reels and post them youtube and other video sharing sites. Consider hosting a blog taking viewers through your daily workouts and some game footage. You want coaches and the general public to start talking about you.

If you know any coaches, talk to them before the season starts, tell them your goals and what you are trying to do. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out.

Also continue to look for exposure camps. Alot of my friends went to the Hoop Mountain camp and talked to college coaches there.

Like Birmingham1955 said, college players are truly at another level than high school players. I've played against a guy who went to a D3 college and now plays professionally overseas. But don't be intimidated by that, use that as inspiration/motivation to improve. You have a whole year and you can accomplish a great deal in that time. Just be smart, stay out of trouble, get noticed and work hard.

I think the videos will really help but my HS team is looking TERRIBLE for next year, my goal is to average atleast 20 ppg 6 ast and lead our team to a winning record.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #14
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
I think the videos will really help but my HS team is looking TERRIBLE for next year, my goal is to average atleast 20 ppg 6 ast and lead our team to a winning record.

It's really up to you, but you might want to consider transferring high schools. Spend alot of time thinking about this because it's very important. Your senior year, you're done with alot of your college work so you don't have to focus on school as much. However, transferring to another school is tough because after 11 years together everyone else is tight and you're new. Personally, I'd transfer because I don't really spend alot of time hanging out with people so it gives me more time to focus on getting better.

Also, playing for a terrible team can be torture. When I was in 8th grade and was a total loser I played in-town ball and my team was . The kids didn't even play ball and I had to score over half the teams points playing only half the team because of assigned playing time.

It will be alot more fun and less stressful if you can play on a legit team because the losing will suck after a while. You can be as good as it gets but basketball can't be won with 1 person. Consider that as well.

Finally, don't worry about stats. The coaches understand stats aren't as important as winning. I'm sure you know this already but it's much better to win a game than to put up a ridiculous stat line. Just play naturally and if the points come, great, if not, at least you won.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #15
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
It's really up to you, but you might want to consider transferring high schools. Spend alot of time thinking about this because it's very important. Your senior year, you're done with alot of your college work so you don't have to focus on school as much. However, transferring to another school is tough because after 11 years together everyone else is tight and you're new. Personally, I'd transfer because I don't really spend alot of time hanging out with people so it gives me more time to focus on getting better.

Also, playing for a terrible team can be torture. When I was in 8th grade and was a total loser I played in-town ball and my team was . The kids didn't even play ball and I had to score over half the teams points playing only half the team because of assigned playing time.

It will be alot more fun and less stressful if you can play on a legit team because the losing will suck after a while. You can be as good as it gets but basketball can't be won with 1 person. Consider that as well.

Finally, don't worry about stats. The coaches understand stats aren't as important as winning. I'm sure you know this already but it's much better to win a game than to put up a ridiculous stat line. Just play naturally and if the points come, great, if not, at least you won.

men you are right I cant be losing like this senior year. The negative about transferring is that the HS teams already started playing togeth i.e summer leagues, camps, practices, clinics, etc. so for me to just come there and try take a spot when they already have chemistry will be tough and if I end up not getting much PT then transferring schools will be a complete waste. But if I stay and we suck then we wont get noticed regardless.

On the other hand our team actually has talent but we lack height. We have a really talented PG, myself and the others they are talented but they never come around until its time for tryouts.

Its a really tough decision to make...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: