Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #31
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Default Re: Quick question regarding MMA (Anderson & Lesnar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
I wouldn't exactly say Prangley and Sobral have exceptional ground games

Not for Babalu?

Quote:
And he has an embarrassing sub loss to Forrest.

Shogun was also subbed by Forrest.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #32
hateraid
Is it in you?

I have no problem with fans of Brock. The fans that I do have a problem with is the ones who don't respect Fedor.
I think where the arrogance of the MMA fans who push how much better Pride/Fedor is are the fans who grew to watch and appreciate Pride at this time period when it actually was the superior organization and uphold the history. The way I look at it is it's the Lesnar fanboys who don't have the clue about the history and conclude what they know about the sport in what they see today. Many times have I encountered a Brock fanboy, had a discussion about who was better and the common backup for Brock is "Who has Fedor really beaten?"
It just shows such a lack of knowledge about the history and disrespect to the sport.
Anderson has history as well, making more appealing to long time MMA fans.
The way I parallel it to is if kids today who are now following the NBA questioned who was better between Lebron and Jordan.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #33
crosso√er
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth
I was not able to catch the fights on Saturday as I was out with my girl at the movies and such. So I just watched the PPV today, that is why this is being posted now.

So, lets get to the point.

Lesnar gets his ass beat for 1 round, then quickly makes short work of Carwin in round 2 with a submission. The majority of MMA fans across the internet come up with posts of how Brock Lesnar has been exposed, and the fight should have been stopped, and how Lesnar has no stand-up, and how he is not worthy of winning this fight. Excuse after excuse.

Anderson Silva goes on to get his ass beat for 4.5 rounds and taps out Sonnen for the miracle win. The majority of MMA fans reply to this fight with this;

Anderson Silva the best ever! The god of MMA! Everyone bowdown! Anderson Silva will never be dethroned etc etc.

There is no mention of Anderson being exposed, or anything of the sort. It was as if every MMA viewer that night knew Silva was going to win going into round 5.

Now this is not about how I believe Anderson Silva should get hated on for his fight, it was fantastic. I agree with the majority of fans about this fight. Silva is a warrior and the best p4p fight in the world, and it is a treat to watch everyone of his fights.

However, I think the MMA community should give credit to Lesnar when it is due. It is pretty funny to see most MMA fans hate of Lesnar because it is the cool thing to do Lesnar has done a lot for MMA since his presence but some fail to see that.

So why is that the same thing has happened to Anderson as it did to Lesnar (and even in a worse fashion) but yet the responses are totally different?

Anyhow, I thought this scenario was kind of interesting.

Best pound for pound really? Remind me the last time Fedor got whooped that bad in a fight? All I remember is him getting caught in a triangle and losing his first ever fight in ten years. Anderson got out classed for four rounds straight before pulling out a miracle victory. Saturday's fight proved two things to me; Silva was fortunate to win and he is most definitely not the best P4P fighter in the world until either Fedor or GSP retire or they significantly decline.

Werdum did beat Fedor but I felt like until that triangle came in effect; Fedor was dominating the fight. It's so tough to continually win MMA fights because you're fighting guys who have trained practically their entire lives and are more then capable of winning the match due to the slightest mistake from their opponent. That is why Fedor lost the fight, he got overly aggressive and got caught.

Now this has nothing to do with Fedor; and every thing to do with the appellation of P4P best fighter. How on earth can you call Silva the best fighter after that fight? He got pounded every single round, he did not get knocked down by a lucky shot or get caught in a guillotine; he flat out got outclassed.

Anderson fans can praise him all they want, they know deep inside he was fortunate to win a match in which he was thoroughly beaten from start till the tap out. To me it's not the win/loss record that makes the fighter great; it's the competition he faces and his consistency in dominating his opponents. To me, I felt like Silva's win is less impressive then Fedor's loss. If you mirror the context of each fight; the luck factor was reversed in each of their favors. I do believe both of them are two of the five best fighters in the world right now, however I am a major Silva skeptic after Saturday's showing.

Sonnen did exactly what he said he was going to do, too bad his few mistakes cost him the fight. Great fighters know how to overcome adversity, I just did not expect Silva to take so much punishment for so long.

Last edited by crosso√er : 08-11-2010 at 04:50 AM.
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:47 AM   #34
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

What's up LA's finest?

Are you still planning to start another sim league in the NBA forum?
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #35
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosso√er
To me, I felt like Silva's win is less impressive then Fedor's loss.

Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:51 AM   #36
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Fedor was dominating the fight.

LOL, Fedor was dominating for a whole 8 seconds.

Quote:
he flat out got outclassed.

Fedor was getting outclassed by AA before he made that foolish mistake, he didn't do so well in the 1st against Rogers and then he lost in a minute to Werdum. Fedor hasn't exactly been dominate lately.

Quote:
To me, I felt like Silva's win is less impressive then Fedor's loss.

I'm with Zombles here, what in the **** are you smoking?

Quote:
the luck factor was reversed in each of their favors.

The luck factor? That's an awfully lame way of trying to excuse Fedor's loss and trying to marginalize Silva's win. You're taking the credit away from Werdum and Silva in an attempt to make Fedor look better and Silva look worse.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:19 AM   #37
spree43
High School Varsity 12th Man

Fedor's loss wasnt really luck, he came in to finish him with really poor technique, he was leaving himself wide open for a submission

The reason why Lesnar gets hate is that he represents everyhting 'martial artists' hate. A guy that is just too big and strong to be dealt with. He doesn't need excellent technique to win like an Anderson Silva does (not that I'm saying Lesnar has no technique, the way he moves from top position on the ground is extremely well practiced). On top of this Lesnar seems to multiply this perception with the way he acts after a fight
spree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #38
DaniloGallinari

Always been a Silva fan. I'm a Pride fanboy, btw, so it's a given I'd root for all the former Pride guys.

With that to say, I was completely against Silva this time. Have started to hate him recently because he's been such a dick. He won't move up in weight, he won't take fights seriously, and he says he's better. Yet he won't fight the great guys, and is content with fighting nobodies. Sonnen was a refreshing fight. I hope he loses next time. Or he should retire if he doesn't plan on being serious.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #39
Poodle
Banned

Quote:
Best pound for pound really? Remind me the last time Fedor got whooped that bad in a fight? All I remember is him getting caught in a triangle and losing his first ever fight in ten years. Anderson got out classed for four rounds straight before pulling out a miracle victory. Saturday's fight proved two things to me; Silva was fortunate to win and he is most definitely not the best P4P fighter in the world until either Fedor or GSP retire or they significantly decline.

Werdum did beat Fedor but I felt like until that triangle came in effect; Fedor was dominating the fight. It's so tough to continually win MMA fights because you're fighting guys who have trained practically their entire lives and are more then capable of winning the match due to the slightest mistake from their opponent. That is why Fedor lost the fight, he got overly aggressive and got caught.

Now this has nothing to do with Fedor; and every thing to do with the appellation of P4P best fighter. How on earth can you call Silva the best fighter after that fight? He got pounded every single round, he did not get knocked down by a lucky shot or get caught in a guillotine; he flat out got outclassed.

Anderson fans can praise him all they want, they know deep inside he was fortunate to win a match in which he was thoroughly beaten from start till the tap out. To me it's not the win/loss record that makes the fighter great; it's the competition he faces and his consistency in dominating his opponents. To me, I felt like Silva's win is less impressive then Fedor's loss. If you mirror the context of each fight; the luck factor was reversed in each of their favors. I do believe both of them are two of the five best fighters in the world right now, however I am a major Silva skeptic after Saturday's showing.

Sonnen did exactly what he said he was going to do, too bad his few mistakes cost him the fight. Great fighters know how to overcome adversity, I just did not expect Silva to take so much punishment for so long.

hong man choi laid on top of fedor the whole fight. if it weren't for catching him in a arm/leg sub(can't remember) he would've been dominated by choi's size completely helpless. and there are some other fedor fights where people very much exaggerate how dominating fedor supposedly is....
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #40
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
hong man choi laid on top of fedor the whole fight. if it weren't for catching him in a arm/leg sub(can't remember) he would've been dominated by choi's size completely helpless. and there are some other fedor fights where people very much exaggerate how dominating fedor supposedly is....
you still have positive rep...
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #41
jaydacris
BTE One Hit Wonder

Quote:

you can say this about any fighter's wins... "oh but if this fighter didnt do this, he would have lost..."

thats the nature of great fighters, they find ways to win even when things arent in their favor

you obviously dont like fedor, but 10 years without a legitimate loss says something, especially in the world of fighting where anything can happen
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #42
Poodle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I have no problem with fans of Brock. The fans that I do have a problem with is the ones who don't respect Fedor.
I think where the arrogance of the MMA fans who push how much better Pride/Fedor is are the fans who grew to watch and appreciate Pride at this time period when it actually was the superior organization and uphold the history. The way I look at it is it's the Lesnar fanboys who don't have the clue about the history and conclude what they know about the sport in what they see today. Many times have I encountered a Brock fanboy, had a discussion about who was better and the common backup for Brock is "Who has Fedor really beaten?"
It just shows such a lack of knowledge about the history and disrespect to the sport.
Anderson has history as well, making more appealing to long time MMA fans.
The way I parallel it to is if kids today who are now following the NBA questioned who was better between Lebron and Jordan.

too bad respecting fedor tends to mean thinking he's unbeatable, and seeing his matches in a very exaggerated light

and too bad knowing the 'history of MMA' somehow causes these know it all's to make up and argue stupid shit like UFC is so bad, how Affliction is so much better, how so many leagues are good, when they couldn't be more retarded to pretend to say a lot of the stupid shit they argue. if knowing the history of MMA means being bias to a fault about the current reality of MMA, and argue stupid points, then ok...

its one thing to know history and be accurate about it w/o being a homer, but sooo many people that pretend to know the history and every aspect of mma are bias to the point of idiocy.

its funny since the crap they say makes me pay attention to Affliction events vs UFC, and its so laughable how ghetto Affliction is with no fanfare or setting hype compared to UFC events. UFC events these days are bordering on pro boxing type of extravagance, i mean very high production settings. and the stupidity regarding how a lot of them try to prop Pride events vs UFC is another aspect of making up stupid homer BS that isn't true. Pride events are almost as dead as Affliction events. watching reruns of Pride fights on Spike where its almost like there is no crowd until you see the azns in the background, let alone lighting or hyping, is nowhere near what UFC events are today.

there is just so much inaccuracy and homerism that goes along with the type you're trying to portray as more knowledgable, that personally i think most of them are brainwashed sheep from whatever they read on Sherdog. definitely don't think too much for themselves, or portray things accurately to reality in a lot of stuff they say.

Last edited by Poodle : 08-11-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #43
Poodle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
you can say this about any fighter's wins... "oh but if this fighter didnt do this, he would have lost..."

thats the nature of great fighters, they find ways to win even when things arent in their favor

you obviously dont like fedor, but 10 years without a legitimate loss says something, especially in the world of fighting where anything can happen

UMMM i JUST made that example when he and a lot of you fedor fans act like fedor's so dominating in EVERY fight. he's simply not. don't try and turn it around like i'm some hater. watch the f''in fight

there have been more than a few fights where fedor hasn't been dominating and won by catching them in arm bars or some sub. and its REAL HYPOCRITICAL how a lot of you cite Werdum triangling Fedor as a fluke but when he does it to others its not.

ughh just be accurate, thats all i'm saying, and a lot of you just aren't accurate, or make a billion excuses to justify any fault against your boy, where its just ridiculous

Last edited by Poodle : 08-11-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #44
Poodle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
you still have positive rep...

i swear theres some mod back there that locked my rep to green just to screw me. it can't be that hard to get red rep and i kknow i got some negative votes too. screw it tho, i'll get red rep eventually, they can't hold me down forever

too bad i saw Insidehoops/Jeff moderating and had to roll, or i'd have gotten in a few more neg rep threads in. he's like 5 - O to me these days...

Last edited by Poodle : 08-11-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #45
jaydacris
BTE One Hit Wonder

Quote:
UMMM i JUST made that example when he and a lot of you fedor fans act like fedor's so dominating in EVERY fight. he's simply not. don't try and turn it around like i'm some hater. watch the f''in fight

there have been more than a few fights where fedor hasn't been dominating and won by catching them in arm bars or some sub. and its REAL HYPOCRITICAL how a lot of you cite Werdum triangling Fedor as a fluke but when he does it to others its not.

ughh just be accurate, thats all i'm saying, and a lot of you just aren't accurate, or make a billion excuses to justify any fault against your boy, where its just ridiculous

when someone dominates a fight, i'll point it out. but dominating a fight doesn't mean much if you dont win in the end.
theres a lot of fighters who have dominated fights, but don't end up winning. if thats your criteria for being awesome, well bravo to you, but wins are what matters (legitimate ones, of course).

and also, i didnt call anything a fluke lol, so dont add me to your witch hunt, kthnx.
but man you call out this whole crowd of irrational fedor nut huggers, but i bet you can't even name one

i <3 you btw, lets be best friends
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: