Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #16
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can the Jets pay Revis already?

Who was saying Revis > Aso before Week 1 last season? Not even Jets fans. Atleast pump your breaks from throwing out the "Aso isnt even good as...", when Aso was considered a shut down corner. When numerous football players in the league marveled at his abilities as well as coaches. There is a reason Oakland even thought to give him that fat contract. It wasnt because they knew ahead of time Revis would be great therefore they wanted to deny Jets from paying him. Who knows how long Revis the great lasts. Could be another CB to emerge or be just as good.

Quote:
I think they need to blame themselves more. He was just fine and dandy making his current salary. But instead after the season they said they were going to make him one the highest paid CB. I blame the Jets management more than Al Davis. But Davis did really screw them over.

No he wasnt. Revis knows his contract, his worth and how business is conducted in the NFL. He knows playing out your contract on good faith can come back to bite you in the ass. Jets could have said nothing and Revis would be holding out. This type of stuff happens. Cant blame Jets mgmt here.

The issue is how much money wants. He wants to be the highest paid CB and as mention by several people the highest paid CB got way overpaid. When Aso signed his deal it was crazy. So now Revis wants that if not more because he feels he is the best CB. Cant blame Jets mgmt for not creating the going rate for best CB in the NFL.

Last edited by GOBB : 08-10-2010 at 01:17 PM.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
There are so many issues here that people are not taking into account.

You have an uncapped year but how will that affect the cap after the CBA...

Revis wants Namdi money. Thats not going to happen. Yes Al ruined the market for elite corners. Namdi isnt even as good as Revis. Aso plays on one side of the field where Revis follows the best receiver most times anywhere on the field. Most of you cant really understand what that means and the difficulty of playing left, right, and slot. The Jets gave him a rookie front loaded contract that he received most of his money. Because of that he has a lower base salary now. The Jets didnt short change him in the least. He still has more money available for him to make based on incentives but if he doesnt report as of today based on his rookie contract he will lose a year of Free Agency.

Revis is the best corner in the league. But he isnt playing one of the most immediate impactful positions in the league. The Jets can still win without him. The Jets are better with him obviously. If you dont remember Champ Bailey was the best for a long time but he started out with Washington and ended up on the Broncos.

The Jets also have to resign Mangold, Holmes, Braylon, Shaun Ellis, and Cromartie. Mangold is considered an elite center now we have to resign him as the top Center in the league? Thats going to eat up more cap space. The point of that is now the cap is going to get destroyed and the team will have to cut corners on other phases of the team to sign these 2 guys. If the Jets had a better track record with past players we wouldnt be in the position.

The fault of the Jets was how they handled some of the players when it was time to get paid they were either cut or traded; Coles (traded), Baker (cut), Faneca (cut), and Leon Washington (season ending injury & traded). Especially Leon who was playing out his contract and had a season ending injury. He gets traded or he would hae been cut by the Jets never seeing the guaranteed money he was suppose to have potentially earned. This is why the Jets FO has a negative image amongst their own players because how they treated other players.

I think He should take 12mill and be happy until a new CBA is agreed upon.

Elvis Dumervil is fortunate he got his money now so he isnt in the same position he has a secured future.

the jets played him up, told him he was the best, and then decided they could not pay him. and in similar situations, where guys got hurt, they didn't take care of the player at all. and historically, they NEVER take care of their own, they are much more generous with free agents.

i understand he had a contract, but i also understand if i was in his position there is no way in hell i'd come back until they met me closer to my number. none of this occurs if the jets don't start it.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Snoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

just trade him to the Giants. sheesh
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #19
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Asomaguah got a 2yr deal, Revis will get a multi-year contract and will get Franchise QB type of money.
Some DB contract #'s

Nate Clements-8yr/$80mil contract
Samuel-6yr/$56mil
Newman-6yr/$50mil
Champ(2004 contract)- 7yr-$63mil

Based on Asomugha's contract Revis will probably get 11-12mil a season. What the Jets need to do is Front load as much as possible or make the first 2-3yrs guaranteed, use the Non salary cap years to your advantage. Possible 5yr/$70mil contract? For a CB? damn..
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Snoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

at least a front loaded contract will be utilizing Revis' prime years and its during the uncapped year and I don't see the Jets being more than a "win-now" team.
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

God forbid the owner doesn't make as much money, so waht if his fans won't be celebrating a super bowl championship? They don't care right, at the same time they are paying their PSL's (which are $350-$370 MILLION in total).

Yes, Revis wants too much. Yes, the jets are well within their rights. I understand 100%. And it will completely crack their season.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #22
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Who was saying Revis > Aso before Week 1 last season? Not even Jets fans. Atleast pump your breaks from throwing out the "Aso isnt even good as...", when Aso was considered a shut down corner. When numerous football players in the league marveled at his abilities as well as coaches. There is a reason Oakland even thought to give him that fat contract. It wasnt because they knew ahead of time Revis would be great therefore they wanted to deny Jets from paying him. Who knows how long Revis the great lasts. Could be another CB to emerge or be just as good.
It is very possible another corner could lock down one side like Aso but will there be another that will lock down a receiver regardless of where they play left, right, or slot that is highly unlikely.

Yes most true Jet fans believed he was great but no one was saying he was better than Aso or Champ not before week 1. I havent seen a Corner used this way so often during a game since Deon Sanders. Also the success he had covering some of the best receivers in the game all season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
the jets played him up, told him he was the best, and then decided they could not pay him. and in similar situations, where guys got hurt, they didn't take care of the player at all. and historically, they NEVER take care of their own, they are much more generous with free agents.

i understand head a contract, but i also understand if i was in his position there is no way in hell i'd come back until they met me closer to my number. none of this occurs if the jets don't start it.
Niko that was my point that the Jets dont take care of their own I mean I can go through a few more players names lol

The Jets just assumed I believe he would take a more reasonable contract not necessarily over 15 mill. No one knows exactly how this transpired to be exact. I do believe the Jets did say they would take care of him but to say they would pay him more than Aso I doubt that was implied because the Jets are too stingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Based on Asomugha's contract Revis will probably get 11-12mil a season. What the Jets need to do is Front load as much as possible or make the first 2-3yrs guaranteed, use the Non salary cap years to your advantage. Possible 5yr/$70mil contract? For a CB? damn..
I dont think this will happen until the new CBA is reached. No one will know what the ramifications are on the salary cap if people get these contracts. Thats the issue!!

Last edited by Rameek : 08-10-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #23
niko
I Run NY.

I personally think he's better than Aso (not that Aso is not great) but that's neither here nor there. I'm not a jets fans, i'm a giants fan, but we were both raped for money this offseason with PSL's and HUGE ticket prices. SO basically,t he Jets have all that money already. So to me, the thought is should Revis get this money or the jets owner? And for the fans, not having Revis due to a money dispute (just Revis, not any other player) is awful. We all know how this works, either Revis gives in and is disgruntled, or the Jets give in, which if it's 3 weeks from now causes Revis to miss almost the entire preseason, then 4 weeks in he pulls a hammy because of the lack of prepration, etc. We have seen it all before.

This ONE time (i mean this literally) the Jets should suck it up, pay a huge amount upfront, declare in no uncertain terms this will not happen again, and move forward. Essentially the Jets are not paying revis because it will set a bad example for the bunch of mercaneries they have put together as their current team. Poor Jet fans...
Old 08-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
I personally think he's better than Aso (not that Aso is not great) but that's neither here nor there. I'm not a jets fans, i'm a giants fan, but we were both raped for money this offseason with PSL's and HUGE ticket prices. SO basically,t he Jets have all that money already. So to me, the thought is should Revis get this money or the jets owner? And for the fans, not having Revis due to a money dispute (just Revis, not any other player) is awful. We all know how this works, either Revis gives in and is disgruntled, or the Jets give in, which if it's 3 weeks from now causes Revis to miss almost the entire preseason, then 4 weeks in he pulls a hammy because of the lack of prepration, etc. We have seen it all before.

This ONE time (i mean this literally) the Jets should suck it up, pay a huge amount upfront, declare in no uncertain terms this will not happen again, and move forward. Essentially the Jets are not paying revis because it will set a bad example for the bunch of mercaneries they have put together as their current team. Poor Jet fans...
The Jets are in this position right now with him because they gave him a HEAVY front loaded contract already. He has 3 years left on his contract.

What makes the Jets look worse is Andre Johnson just got a new fat contract without knowing what the new CBA will look like and how their cap situation will be in the future.

Last edited by Rameek : 08-10-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #25
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Revis didn't just cover Vincent Jackson in the playoff game vs. the Chargers, he even covered Antonio Gates! Dude is unreal.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #26
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Revis didn't just cover Vincent Jackson in the playoff game vs. the Chargers, he even covered Antonio Gates! Dude is unreal.
He's shutting down everyone out there, allowing rex to play his kind of defense. He's the best corner in the league, just pay the damn man already. This is just insane. Him sitting at home for a year wont help you. The Jets are so stupid.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #27
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGlove
He's shutting down everyone out there, allowing rex to play his kind of defense. He's the best corner in the league, just pay the damn man already. This is just insane. Him sitting at home for a year wont help you. The Jets are so stupid.

No they are not. They could potentially f*ck themselves by giving Revis a mega contract. It would be Minnesota giving KG that fat contract all over again. Then you'll be calling the Jets stupid for giving Revis the contract yet you were the one calling them stupid from the jump. Then you'll probably ask Revis to take less when you were all in support of him getting paid big.

Numerous players contracts are gonna be up. CBA around the corner. And Revis sitting out an entire season? How many have done that? I can only think of 1 player and that was DT Sean Gilbert.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #28
HisJoeness
ISH's Best Looking

HisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
No they are not. They could potentially f*ck themselves by giving Revis a mega contract. It would be Minnesota giving KG that fat contract all over again. Then you'll be calling the Jets stupid for giving Revis the contract yet you were the one calling them stupid from the jump. Then you'll probably ask Revis to take less when you were all in support of him getting paid big.

Numerous players contracts are gonna be up. CBA around the corner. And Revis sitting out an entire season? How many have done that? I can only think of 1 player and that was DT Sean Gilbert.

And he got paaaaiiiiiiidddddd. Sitting out this year is definitely an option for Revis.
HisJoeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #29
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisJoeness
And he got paaaaiiiiiiidddddd. Sitting out this year is definitely an option for Revis.

Its an option but not one many follow through with is all I'm saying. I dont see him sitting out an entire season. He's doing what most hold out players do.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #30
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Its an option but not one many follow through with is all I'm saying. I dont see him sitting out an entire season. He's doing what most hold out players do.

He's not coming in unless they give him large money. They want to give him the money over a large period of time, that's their problem. Just super frontload it and get him in. The fact of the matter is despite the spin they are putting on it, they can't win the title without him. So, if retaining forward flexibility (which they are worried about just to resign their current players) is more important than winning a title, so be it. Because the way they play, it requires at least one corner to completely shut down his man in single coverage. and that's what Revis does.

He's asking for too much yes, but the jets are offering almost nothing guarantted. He's too high and they are too low. They actually said they'd make him the highest paid corner (when asked if he said that, Mike T said "that's not really relevant" and when asked again if he'd like to deny saying that, he said again "i don't think that's important".

Is there any reason (outside of being cheap) they can't do 10 years, $120 million, with this year being $50 guaranteed, adn the remainder being $7 a year with each outoging year being guaranteed only upon completion of a year?

$120, $50 guaranteed, all paid upfront, with the $400 or so million they received this year.

I fully support being fiscally responsible, but not when it's the diffence between a title and no title. WIth all the crap the Jets have talked last year and this, can you imagine no title?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: