Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Default Question about the late 90's Houston Rockets

The 97-98 Rockets featured:
Hakeem Olajuwon (35), Kevin Willis (35), Clyde Drexler (35) and Charles Barkley (34).

What would have happened if Drexler hadn't retired, Willis was retained and Pippen still came on board the next season and meshed with the team?

The 98-99 Rockets had some youth added to the team in the form of Michael Dickerson, Othella Harrington and Cuttino Mobley. The following season the team added Steve Francis.

How would the Rockets have faired if for the 98-99 season their team was:
CT: Olajuwon (36)/ Willis (36)
PF: Barkley (35)/ Othella Harrington
SF: Pippen (33)/ Sam Mack
SG: Drexler (36)/ Michael Dickerson
PG: Mobley/ Brent Price

Remember, Drexler was still producing good numbers and playing very well in his final season. Barkley still looked like an all-star, too. Olajuwon was starting to decline, but he was still better than most centers in the league not named Robinson, Duncan, Mourning or O'Neal.

I could see the above team getting to the conference finals, I don't know how they'd deal with the Lakers though.

How would the Rockets have faired for the 1999-2000 season:
CT: Olajuwon (37)/ Willis (37)
PF: Barkley (36)/ Kenn Thomas
SF: Pippen (34)/ Shandon Anderson
SG: Drexler (37)/ Cuttino Mobley
PG: Steve Francis/ Moochie Norris

I think at this stage the team would be too old in the front court to compete. Maybe a second round exit, and that's if Olajuwon, Drexler, Pippen and Barkley were healthy for the entire season.
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
beermonsteroo
Banned

Default Re: Question about the late 90's Houston Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Cedric
The 97-98 Rockets featured:
Hakeem Olajuwon (35), Kevin Willis (35), Clyde Drexler (35) and Charles Barkley (34).

What would have happened if Drexler hadn't retired, Willis was retained and Pippen still came on board the next season and meshed with the team?

The 98-99 Rockets had some youth added to the team in the form of Michael Dickerson, Othella Harrington and Cuttino Mobley. The following season the team added Steve Francis.

How would the Rockets have faired if for the 98-99 season their team was:
CT: Olajuwon (36)/ Willis (36)
PF: Barkley (35)/ Othella Harrington
SF: Pippen (33)/ Sam Mack
SG: Drexler (36)/ Michael Dickerson
PG: Mobley/ Brent Price

Remember, Drexler was still producing good numbers and playing very well in his final season. Barkley still looked like an all-star, too. Olajuwon was starting to decline, but he was still better than most centers in the league not named Robinson, Duncan, Mourning or O'Neal.

I could see the above team getting to the conference finals, I don't know how they'd deal with the Lakers though.

How would the Rockets have faired for the 1999-2000 season:
CT: Olajuwon (37)/ Willis (37)
PF: Barkley (36)/ Kenn Thomas
SF: Pippen (34)/ Shandon Anderson
SG: Drexler (37)/ Cuttino Mobley
PG: Steve Francis/ Moochie Norris

I think at this stage the team would be too old in the front court to compete. Maybe a second round exit, and that's if Olajuwon, Drexler, Pippen and Barkley were healthy for the entire season.

Well Hakeem was pretty much done by 99. Pippen didn't play very well at all with the Rocktes. So i don't know if a 36 year old Clyde could have reallly changed things
The Rocktes with Barkley had their chance in 1997. This team really should have gone to the finals, and personally i feel they could have beaten the Bulls.
beermonsteroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
hateraid
Is it in you?

Too old. Their bodies couldn't handle the rigors of playing significant minutes for a prolonged period of time. The youngins on the Spurs and Lakers would have outgunned them.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
AirJordan23
Local High School Star

These guys were done. Last contending year they had was '97 and John Stockton ****ed it up for them. Seriously, **** Stockton and the Jazz. Can't stand them cause they ruined my dream match up for the finals. '98 was the year where Hakeem underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee iirc and he had several other issues such as a irregular heart beat and blood clotting in his legs. Glide could still post up, slash, pass really well but he was never an elite shooter. Streaky I would say but he had an ugly ass form. And he had already made up his mind on retiring. They couldn't do anything that year. They were lucky to take the Jazz to 5 games and might've won had Barkley been healthy or had Glide not been throwing up bricks but they would've most likely been obliterated by the Spurs frontcourt.

If they still add Pip in '99, there's no significant change in results to be honest. The starting line up seems stacked but they would have little to no chemistry. And it wouldn't change the fact that Barkley and Pippen wouldn't like playing with each other. That team would have terrible spacing, lack of defense (yes, Hakeem and Pippen certainly weren't great defenders by then) and fatigue / age would catch up with them. '00, they don't even make the playoffs. Like I said, '97 was the only year they could've won the whole thing and the Rocs management ****ed it up (gave away a couple of first round picks iirc). Matt freakin' Maloney was their starting PG and he got destroyed by Stockton in the WCF. Although, it should be noted that Threatt was the one getting lit up in game 6 down the stretch. They could've still won, though had Drexler not been busy stinking it up in the first 5 games and if the Rocs actually went to Hakeem / Glide down the stretch in game 6. Refs didn't call the bearhug of a screen by Malone set on Drexler to free up Stockton either.
AirJordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

They'd be the current Celtics but older and not nearly as good, especially without a guy like Rondo.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
praneel
Stay Strong Droth

I thought they went out and got Pip because Drexler retired.

Pip got a huge contract. And I don't think Drexler signed for chump change neither.

I'm not sure they could have afforded all those guys.
praneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

I like the Matt Maloney cameo in the first picture.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
Seņor Cedric
why live??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
I like the Matt Maloney cameo in the first picture.

I wonder what he's doing nowadays?

I found a Maloney mix!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHH-zebPZ6g
Seņor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: