Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people
Default Tips for better defense ?

Just leave any tips you have for defense, I need some help, specifically on ball against quick guards.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Olli
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Olli has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Tips for better defense ?

Good position is, when you crouch so that your face is on same height than your opponents chest. When the player which you are defending doesn't have the ball, watch in middle of the ball and your player, so you can see the ball and the player at the same time.

When player gots the ball, if he isn't a good thrower, you can have some space between him and you. If he is good in throwing points, you should defence him closer so you can block if he is going to throw, but be careful, or he will go past you.

And never step so that your legs will make a cross. You will fall.

Hope this helped.

Last edited by Olli : 08-12-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Olli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

stay in front of defender

play defense with your feet (move your feet instead of trying to reach in everytime)

active hands (1 in the air to deflect pass /shot , 1 in the low positions to deflect cross overs)

keeping an uncomfortable distance for the ball handler (where he cant really shoot and cant really drive)

dont gamble (dont go for steals and blocks unless you are 100% sure you'll get it or you are asking to get burnt, just put a hand up in the face to cover the vision or disrupt the passing lane which usually turns into steals)

always anticipate the next move (for example, if the guy pumps it he might shoot it so put a hand in his face but anticipate that it could be a pump fake and he's going to drive)

quicker guards, i think you'll just need give them more space and hand check them when they are about to blow by u
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

Yeah thanks ill try the new positioning, have you ever tried watching the wait and does it work?
Old 08-13-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
Olli
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Olli has an OK reputation so far

You meant "waist"? Yeah, it's good to have a look at there, because the waist always shows where your opponent is going.
Olli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:39 AM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Against a really quick guard who can handle the ball and shoot... there is basically nothing you can do unless you are quite a bit taller/longer... then you can back off more and still contest, but if you are about the same size and he is just quicker than you, you just have to have good fundamentals. He is going to get by you sometimes, but if you have good fundamentals and move your feet, hopefully you can cut him off times or at least just go hip to hip when he drives. There is really nothing else you can do but have good fundamentals cus obviously your athletic ability isn't going to be enough.

One thing I can say tho is don't play scared. By staying in good positions and really moving your feet, it makes him make a play. If you back off a lot he will just pop the J, if you have jumpy feet he knows he has you back on you heels and he can do anything. He may be able to do anything he wants, but at least make him know that he has to work for it. To me, giving someone an open shot is the worst thing you can do. If your man blows by you.. oh well hopefully you have some help and then he will have to make the pass and someone else will have to make a play. Just try to recover and rotate to the guy who gets the ball.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

Yeah I meant waist my bad haha
And yeah swaggin ill just try to play hard. My coach also said with really quick guys to force them one way then at least you know where theyre probobly going to go so you can cut it off or try to get a steal.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadefan11
Yeah I meant waist my bad haha
And yeah swaggin ill just try to play hard. My coach also said with really quick guys to force them one way then at least you know where theyre probobly going to go so you can cut it off or try to get a steal.

Yea I mean it works in theory but but you can still force a guy one way and he can spin back the other way, stepback, or crossover back to their strong hand. It's hard to react to all those... but there aren't that many players who can do it all, so just try to figure out their tendencies. I would definitely say forcing them to their off hand is the best chance you have tho.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #9
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Adding to some solid advice already mentioned by these guys:

1. Quick Feet: I'm a big advocate of jumping rope.

2. Getting Low: I've found getting "kinda" low on defense to be almost counterproductive. Get into a real sharp, active, and ready stance.

3. Condition. Get in Great Shape: One of the biggest distinguishers between someone who's been playing a lot of basketball and someone who has not (aside from watching who runs the floor and who doesn't) is who can actually consistantly play strong defense. No matter how much you've mastered your technique, if you're in poor shape, you're going to tire of your technique after five minutes.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I was gonna say exactly what Rake said. All the advice here is beautiful but you have to couple that with conditioning. For me defense (real D) takes far more energy than offense. Once you can play relentless D without losing fundamental skills, you'll be in good shape.

And learning your opponents weaknesses goes a looooong way. In my class at the JC we had a guy that was nigh unguardable when he went to his left. But push him right it was like krryptonite. Now obviously it won't usually be as apparent or that big in most players but it's good to pick up on things. If you can study the player before you play that's even better.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Yes yes yes yes yes agree about the fundamentals. I'll use an example about a quicker/stronger friend (runs mile in 5:45 and benches like 10 of 50 pounds on each side even though 14 years old, I can only do like 5 of 25 pounds on each side). Before, I was just trying to position myself from him and the basket. I kept on getting blown past and smashed into. I then researched about defence thoroughly and improved my defence stance. I could read his teammates/scoring opportunities so I changed my stance accordingly. (If his options were to make a fadeaway or go in for a left layup, I would put my right foot infront so he would have to do a fadeaway).
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Yeah what the others said, stay low, focus on the waist and don't gamble. Also I was taught to swipe up to reduce the likelihood of a foul. I also do the hand in the face like Shane Battier. Defense isn't so much about skill as it is effort. Many people can become stoppers if they committed to keeping with the guy even after they lost a step on their opponent.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
ghettoracer
I airball my layups

ghettoracer has an OK reputation so far

spacing is definitely important as other have said. i like the tip about lowering yourself so that you are at his chest height ish. lowering your CG allows you to shift side to side faster. both hands out wide like a bird or one to the side one up.

also, study his dribble pattern. most people have tells that you can pick up on. they will usually hesitate/slow the dribble and then drive hard. this is the best time to pick the pocket. i like to anticipate this where they dribble hard and i will reach for where the ball will be at. i get pretty high percentage of steals this way. clean steals too.

quicker guys takes more energy and better timing to guard. but once you sync yourself up to them and get used to their timing it gets easier. might take you some time to adjust so just study and critique yourself constantly. you will get better. have fun.
ghettoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: