Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #31
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

airchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Freemasonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers_forever
My father is a freemason.

All I know is that they are definetly not killing people or planning coups.

Seriously, what they most do is charity work and help its members who are in trouble. I know they have secret handshakes to know if the person is a freemason. Of course I don't know how to do it cause I'm not part of it.

And it's not that elitist at all. You might be a rich man and have a poor guy above you in hierarchy. You will have to call him master and all that. And they all must believe in God, regardlesse of what religion.

They're mostly catholic where I live as well. The fundamentalist christians usually hate the freemasons, they say it's satanic and all. Believe me, my father is a religious man. He does not love Satan.

Yeah, from what I hear they are unusually tolerant when it comes to beliefs. They acknowledge a superior being with a number of different names, such as God, Allah, Buddah, etc. That's why there are Christian Masons, Muslim Masons, Buddhist Masons, etc.

Like I said, they seem innocuous from the outside and have firm commitments to both moral responsibility and community service. But the article that I read, which is allegedly from a former Mason, mentions that maybe the top 5% of the Masonic organization indeed worships Lucifer as the Superior One.

Think about it---their inclusive mindset about religion would allow them to appeal to the most potential followers. If you had to commit to many long and arduous years climbing the Masonic hierarchical ladder, once you reached the top, you would be less likely to leave after discovering their true motives. It's not like they are going to reveal all of their secrets to a new follower on the first day. Hell, this secret society prides itself on secrecy, doesn't it? Wouldn't you think that there would be secrets within the society itself?

Last edited by airchibundo507 : 08-14-2010 at 11:31 AM.
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #32
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

airchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALFORD-RED
I think they operate as a sort of shadow govt. more localized than probably international

My uncle and Grandad were both offered to join them and declined (they worked on the county council) and so had a modicum of local civil authority.

I know someone whose boss was a Mason and when he was pulled over for being drunk did the old mason hanshake to the police and was let go cos most police are masons.

Wait, do you know why they declined?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #33
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchibundo507
Yeah, from what I hear they are unusually tolerant when it comes to beliefs. They acknowledge a superior being with a number of different names, such as God, Allah, Buddah, etc. That's why there are Christian Masons, Muslim Masons, Buddhist Masons, etc.

Like I said, they seem innocuous from the outside and have firm commitments to both moral responsibility and community service. But the article that I read, which is allegedly from a former Mason, mentions that maybe the top 5% of the Masonic organization indeed worships Lucifer as the Superior One.

Think about it---their inclusive mindset about religion would allow them to appeal to the most potential followers. If you had them commit many long and arduous years climbing the Masonic hierarchical ladder, you would be less likely to leave after discovering their true motives. It's not like they are going to reveal all of their secrets to a new follower on the first day. Hell, this secret society prides itself on secrecy, doesn't it? Wouldn't you think that there would be secrets within the society itself?

I haven't been able to get a hold of one of my buddies yet, but this is really just the same footprint that college fraternities follow. In my fraternity, we accept people of all religions so long as they believe in a higher power, we emphasize community service as one of our pillars, we have our rituals, etc. Freemasons are basically an extension of that for when men get older. A lot of people in power are Masons, but I'd also like to bet that a higher percentage of people in power were part of fraternities in college as well.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #34
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
I haven't been able to get a hold of one of my buddies yet, but this is really just the same footprint that college fraternities follow. In my fraternity, we accept people of all religions so long as they believe in a higher power, we emphasize community service as one of our pillars, we have our rituals, etc. Freemasons are basically an extension of that for when men get older. A lot of people in power are Masons, but I'd also like to bet that a higher percentage of people in power were part of fraternities in college as well.

So, essentially, the freemasons are just a fraternity of selected adult men of power and/or affluence? Shouldn't that make it even more unusual? The blueprint for societal acceptance and organizational growth is more common than I previously thought; however, that doesn't deride the fact that with a large organization filled with many different levels of authority, the motives of the people with the most power are blurred or held in secret.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #35
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Not each member of the Masonry is "selected". There are many who try to be Freemasons, but they only pick certain people from the pool of applicants. Much similar to a "rush" people for a fraternity where many state they would like to be a part, but it is up to the brothers to decide who gets in. If there is one particular person they know and would like to join then they are actively recruited. There is no difference.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #36
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I work in a machine shop, and in that field, you see more than your average person's share of Freemason's.

Now I'm all for conspiracy theories. Any sort of deep thought about anything really. But I definitely don't think this group is ruling the world or anything. One guy I work with, he's 65 years old and still working because he can't afford to retire. I see him in the grocery store all the time because he can't get his wife to shop or cook for him. And he gets in more trouble at work than I do. And he's a local softball ump to make extra dough to pay for his golf habit. But he is a pretty high ranking mason. He's been in it for forty years, and just got nominated for some high up position, but didn't take it because he needs to work a few more years before he can retire (his wife's a teacher, and he needs her retirement to kick in before he can take off). But the point is, he's definitely not secretly in charge of anything.

Whoever described it as an old person's frat house is probably pretty close to on the money. It seems mostly what they do there is hang out and have a few cocktails, and set up tee times for golf. And how secret could they be if they have a temple in these innocuous suburban neighborhoods. I've rented out there halls for parties before.

Now there may be some underlying history, I wouldn't discount that. And there may even be some really high up minorty of them with some disproportionate influence (like a PAC). But as for the temple next to your old house, I'm fairly certain they're not sacrificing virgins there or anything (so your probably safe).
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #37
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
But as for the temple next to your old house, I'm fairly certain they're not sacrificing virgins there or anything (so your probably safe).

I'm not sure if this was an intentional put-down, but it's humorous nonetheless.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #38
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers_forever
My father has an iron owl in his office. And that ceremony, my grandfather had it in his funeral.
cool. did everyone have to leave the room as well?
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #39
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Thank you for sharing your insights. It has truly been a blessing to us all.

A religion isn't a cult just because you don't believe what they believe in.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #40
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGlove

what if they're sacrificing virgins and drinking blood and shit?

also, why the hell would someone want to kill a virgin chick anyway? stupid.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #41
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
BTW, I would still like to see the link showing me that there are actually tons of jobs available in Atlanta, and the only reason the city is seeing +10% unemployment is that the people are just too lazy.

K THX BAI
I would like you to link me to my post saying that garbage. I clearly stated other reasons in that thread so stop being dumb. Shit, even in the link you provided people were saying what I was in the comments section. I'm going off personal experience in a place I have lived for three years while you are talking out of your ass and linking people to stuff you have no idea about. Which one is worse?

I would like to see the link saying that Babe Ruth would be more popular than Michael Jordan worldwide if they were both playing today.

Where is that one?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #42
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Did I say that religion is a cult? I don't believe I did.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #43
Sarcastic

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I would like you to link me to my post saying that garbage. I clearly stated other reasons in that thread so stop being dumb. Shit, even in the link you provided people were saying what I was in the comments section. I'm going off personal experience in a place I have lived for three years while you are talking out of your ass and linking people to stuff you have no idea about. Which one is worse?

I would like to see the link saying that Babe Ruth would be more popular than Michael Jordan worldwide if they were both playing today.

Where is that one?

Talking about the availability of jobs has nothing to do with opinion. It is totally factual.

Talking about "which player would be more popular" has nothing to do with fact. It is totally opinionated.

Do you understand the difference?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #44
PowerGlove
By Any Means

Quote:
Did I say that religion is a cult? I don't believe I did.
Please.

Quote:
A cult has weird beliefs such as aliens coming to visit us, or an apocalypse, or Jesus coming back. A secret society is more of a club which tries to hide its existence from the rest of the world.

The Freemasons fall into the second category.

Yeah, stop talking.

And yeah, saying that Babe Ruth would be more popular than Jordan if they both played today is stupid as hell. Even though Basketball is second in the world to soccer, somehow a baseball player would be more popular than the GOAT basketball player.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #45
Sarcastic

Quote:
Please.

Yeah, stop talking.

And yeah, saying that Babe Ruth would be more popular than Jordan if they both played today is stupid as hell. Even though Basketball is second in the world to soccer, somehow a baseball player would be more popular than the GOAT basketball player.

Is English your first language? I didn't say that religion is a cult in that post.

And it is fine to disagree with my opinion, just don't disagree with facts.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: