Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Fatstogie
Serious playground baller

Fatstogie has decent reputation
Default Do you shoot real threes?

Do you go buy the lil top of the key line. Or do you back it up to NBA 3? For me ive been shooting about 3-6 ft past the nba line trying to increase my strength. And i used a weighted ball so i can jump shoot far.

Thats another question. How far can you standing jump shoot? Or even a single step into a jump shot?

I can hit standing still from about 4-5ft behind the NBA 3. And if i step in i can jump shoot from about 3 ft infront of half court.

From half court i can get it that far but i cant aim cause my hand just inst big enough to grip the ball enough to put that much power into it. So it always slips out.

But i was just wondering cause people always argue with me saying "the nba line isnt here." But for me to count a 3 you gotta be at least a ft behind the line. AT least make an attempt not to stand right at the line.

And im not saying its a high percentage. But im dialing in the real long ball right now. Id say about 3 ft behind the nba 3 im hitting at about 20%. So people watching will like laugh that im not making it much. Then ill see them try my shot, 1 time. Miss by 2ft and not try it again. lol And a few times i got hot and kicked it up to about 50% from the same distance but not very often. Maybe 4 or 5 times.
Fatstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Venom
Serious playground baller

Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Do you shoot real threes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstogie
How far can you standing jump shoot?

You mean a set shot? I can shoot set shots comfortably from 3. As for my jump shot, I don't shoot as many 3s as I do midrange jumpers. I'd like to have nice range, but I don't. I admire Ryan Wittman's game and the fact that he's so comfortable with shooting well beyond the 3 pt line. I'm out of my comfort zone 3-4 feet beyond the 3. I'm around 60-70% from the 3 during practice and 50-60% during a game. My midrange jumper became wet over the past few weeks. I'm 75-90% during practice and 70-80% during a game.

Last edited by Venom : 08-14-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Wherever the line is in the gym... that's where I'm going to shoot my 3's. I'd rather take the easy points shooting from 20 feet

I am comfortable taking in rhythm 3's from NBA line tho. I can probably hit 50% or so in practice (about 70% from the college 3). Triple threat tho... like with a guy backed off, I can probably only hit about 30-40%... but that's understandable since in rhythm is a lot easier. Once I step like 6-7 feet behind the line (so like 3-4 feet behind the NBA 3), my form gets bad and I am more or less starting to chuck the ball. In game... from NBA 3, I could probably hit 30-35% in game right now. If I started practicing them more... I could probably get up to 35-40%. I hit probably around 50% in game from the college 3... So I figure 10-15% lower is reasonable.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

A lot of the time it depens on how I feel. When I'm first playing, especially outdoor, ill only take high school three or a foot back, but lat night I was playing for a while so by the end I was able to shoot the 6-7 feet behind the line and make a few. When I'm set though I can only shoot like 2-3 behind the line, but I had a nice deep one with the guy playing around the 3 point line and I just rose up because I was so deep and it went in
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Like Swaggin, I'm firing from wherever that line is at. I reserve the NBA+ bombs for heat checks, after I've already hit a few from the normal line. Otherwise, if I'm jacking from way deep from the get go, team morale tends to drop if I'm not hitting.

When I working out with a Gun (aka Shooting Machine) I'll work on extending my range well outside 20 feet. Otherwise, I keep it relatively close. You won't believe it, but one of the weirdest, seemingly mental blocks I have while shooting on the machine (which tracks makes/attempts and percentage) is getting my percentage over 69%. Anytime I fire over 200 attempts, I seem to lock right in at 69. Go figure.

Anyway, my NBA three point percentage drops significantly. The last time I made any sort of concrete measure from this distance was three weeks ago on an outdoor court (with those darn unforgiving double rims!) In 24 NBA attempts, I made 8. So, that's why I don't shoot NBA threes in games. I want to score, not look tight. Though, scoring and looking tight would be ideal.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:45 AM   #6
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

if i'm forced to, meaning if the defense is guarding the hs/college three then I'll take the nba three if it's there. I don't play in the nba so I don't practice shooting way past it, that's stupid.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #7
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom

You mean a set shot? I can shoot set shots comfortably from 3. As for my jump shot, I don't shoot as many 3s as I do midrange jumpers. I'd like to have nice range, but I don't. I admire Ryan Wittman's game and the fact that he's so comfortable with shooting well beyond the 3 pt line. I'm out of my comfort zone 3-4 feet beyond the 3. I'm around 60-70% from the 3 during practice and 50-60% during a game. My midrange jumper became wet over the past few weeks. I'm 75-90% during practice and 70-80% during a game.

he means w/ out jumping.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Like Swaggin, I'm firing from wherever that line is at. I reserve the NBA+ bombs for heat checks, after I've already hit a few from the normal line. Otherwise, if I'm jacking from way deep from the get go, team morale tends to drop if I'm not hitting.

Yea I can't tell you how frustrating it is for a guy to be shooting bombs from 5 feet behind the line, or with a guy right up on him, and not making them. Those are bad shots so you better be able to make them buddy. I don't even heat check myself honestly... I always take good shots. I can't remember the last time I took a bad shot. I'm sure I do at times, but it's definitely rare.

Quote:
Anytime I fire over 200 attempts, I seem to lock right in at 69. Go figure.

Huh-huh... 69... Huh-huh.

Quote:
Though, scoring and looking tight would be ideal.

Yes that is always ideal lol. The tighter you look while you do something, the more apt your teammates are to giving you more opportunities. Of course even if you look retarded but are still scoring... that will do the trick too
Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204

When I working out with a Gun (aka Shooting Machine) I'll work on extending my range well outside 20 feet. Otherwise, I keep it relatively close. You won't believe it, but one of the weirdest, seemingly mental blocks I have while shooting on the machine (which tracks makes/attempts and percentage) is getting my percentage over 69%. Anytime I fire over 200 attempts, I seem to lock right in at 69. Go figure.

Anyway, my NBA three point percentage drops significantly. The last time I made any sort of concrete measure from this distance was three weeks ago on an outdoor court (with those darn unforgiving double rims!) In 24 NBA attempts, I made 8. So, that's why I don't shoot NBA threes in games. I want to score, not look tight. Though, scoring and looking tight would be ideal.

Where are you getting access to a Gun? I'd give my appendix to be able to use that thing... i hate getting my own rebounds
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:47 AM   #10
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

I played tonight and pulled up from about 25 feet... drained it. Normally I wouldn't take that shot, but we were down 11-8 (game was to 12) and my team had won a couple games and was starting to get tired... I had a big space eater screening my guy for me at the 3 point line so I just let it fly from about 5-6 feet back.

So I guess I do shoot NBA 3's not going to make a habit of it though I don't think.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I played tonight and pulled up from about 25 feet... drained it. Normally I wouldn't take that shot, but we were down 11-8 (game was to 12) and my team had won a couple games and was starting to get tired... I had a big space eater screening my guy for me at the 3 point line so I just let it fly from about 5-6 feet back.

So I guess I do shoot NBA 3's not going to make a habit of it though I don't think.

It's a sick feeling, because if you can hit that shot you pretty much know your unguardable.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadefan11
It's a sick feeling, because if you can hit that shot you pretty much know your unguardable.

True. Most guys aren't going to want to guard you that far out, they will just let you shoot it. If they want to come up on you from that far out then boom... you have a ton of space to get past them.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #13
DylanMitchell
Can barely lace up my sneakers

DylanMitchell has an OK reputation so far

Sometimes I like to shoot from about 30 feet our just for fun. Sometimes Ill make a lot of them and sometimes they just wont fall.
DylanMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:56 AM   #14
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Where are you getting access to a Gun? I'd give my appendix to be able to use that thing... i hate getting my own rebounds
I coach a high school club and also work a camp in the summer. Both locations just happen to have a Gun sitting around waiting to be used all the time. I tell ya, I wasn't sold on it when we first picked one up (six years ago?) because I thought it was just a gimmick. Then I tried it, and I've never looked back. It's a godsend. Hundreds of shots in small amounts of time. It's beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916

That's funny because I did the same thing (but last night). It was one of those heat check scenarios, where I'd been hitting all night so when provided with space (and strangely, trailing deep in the game just like your club) I let loose. The minute I hit that shot I thought of this thread. Always a good day when InsideHoops plays a role in your real life. . .

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-17-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:16 AM   #15
nysn
I brick open layups

nysn has no real reputation yet.

i try to
nysn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: