Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #16
Old Knees
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: Do you shoot real threes?

I never even shoot three's, I used to shoot them in high school because they counted, but if your playing pickup, and everything is 1 point, whats the point of shooting 3's, all the spots I used to play in, everything counts as 1 point.

When we are playing 3's, I don't shoot them, its all mid range and to the basket for me.
Old Knees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
devin112
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Knees
I never even shoot three's, I used to shoot them in high school because they counted, but if your playing pickup, and everything is 1 point, whats the point of shooting 3's, all the spots I used to play in, everything counts as 1 point.

When we are playing 3's, I don't shoot them, its all mid range and to the basket for me.

Growing up in Cali no one really played 2s and 1s until 24hr fitness came around. Every 24hr plays 2s and 1s, I think it was a way to even out the playing field so that old guys and short guys can play w/ big athletic guys. Only time you'll see short old fat guys play basketball is at a 24hr where they count 2 pointers. 2s and 1s is whack, should be 2s and 3s or 1s and 1.5s.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #18
Sakkreth
Raptors/LTU/Zalgiris

Well in Lithuania we usually play to 21 2s and 1s, U gotta win atleast by two points (for ex. it cannot finnish 21-20). If score is tied at 20 there is no 2s.
Sakkreth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #19
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204

That's funny because I did the same thing (but last night). It was one of those heat check scenarios, where I'd been hitting all night so when provided with space (and strangely, trailing deep in the game just like your club) I let loose. The minute I hit that shot I thought of this thread. Always a good day when InsideHoops plays a role in your real life. . .

Quote:
Growing up in Cali no one really played 2s and 1s until 24hr fitness came around. Every 24hr plays 2s and 1s, I think it was a way to even out the playing field so that old guys and short guys can play w/ big athletic guys. Only time you'll see short old fat guys play basketball is at a 24hr where they count 2 pointers. 2s and 1s is whack, should be 2s and 3s or 1s and 1.5s.

Ya know I never really though of it like that but that's a great point... It really does even out the game so the older guys can still compete. We were playing a team the other night and they had like 3 older guys (but still only early-mid 30's) and they were setting double screens to get open 3's. If they got an inch of space they were letting it fly. Obviously they have played on teams before... but you could tell those guys were smart, just outmatched physically. A lot of other old guys that play there though just stand around and don't really do a whole lot... but are still a bit of a threat because of the 2 ball. If you hit like 4 str8 2's... it's game over pretty much unless you just choke it away.

I really like that they did this. There was a game last night where one team had a 6'7 guy and 2 6'4 guys... and all of them have good length. The tallest guy on the other team was 6'3 and he was guarding one of the 6'4 guys... so the 6'7 guy and other 6'4 guy had like 6'1 guys on them lol. It actually turned out to be a close game tho because of guess what... the 3 ball. The shorter team hit a few and kept the game close while the other team just pounded the glass and easy inside shots.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #20
devin112
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916

Ya know I never really though of it like that but that's a great point... It really does even out the game so the older guys can still compete. We were playing a team the other night and they had like 3 older guys (but still only early-mid 30's) and they were setting double screens to get open 3's. If they got an inch of space they were letting it fly. Obviously they have played on teams before... but you could tell those guys were smart, just outmatched physically. A lot of other old guys that play there though just stand around and don't really do a whole lot... but are still a bit of a threat because of the 2 ball. If you hit like 4 str8 2's... it's game over pretty much unless you just choke it away.

I really like that they did this. There was a game last night where one team had a 6'7 guy and 2 6'4 guys... and all of them have good length. The tallest guy on the other team was 6'3 and he was guarding one of the 6'4 guys... so the 6'7 guy and other 6'4 guy had like 6'1 guys on them lol. It actually turned out to be a close game tho because of guess what... the 3 ball. The shorter team hit a few and kept the game close while the other team just pounded the glass and easy inside shots.

Sometimes it works out great like in the situation you mention, but sometimes both teams are full of bombers and it's a runaway 3 point shoot out w/ no posting, no driving, no passing, etc... I've probably played in more games like that at 24hr then anything else. i play in socal btw. Whenever i play there i fall in love w/ the 2 ball too, can't help it you have to just to keep up. nobody gets to drive or post.

swag, i actually read in one of 24hr magazines a few tips they had for those who played basketball there- all the tips were cheats like put a hand on opponent's shoulder to push him down while jumping for a rebound. step on the shoes for some reason i forget.

Last edited by devin112 : 08-17-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #21
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

This just goes to show how much basketball culture can vary from spot to spot because I've never played pickup games where every basket counted as just one point (unless there was no three point line present). Middle school, high school, college, rec league, park, backyard. . .there's always been a three point line and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #22
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
This just goes to show how much basketball culture can vary from spot to spot because I've never played pickup games where every basket counted as just one point (unless there was no three point line present). Middle school, high school, college, rec league, park, backyard. . .there's always been a three point line and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The only rule we play with is that you cant win on a two... like if the games to 15 and you have 13 you cant win on a two. Kinda bs and soft in my opinion but it makes the end of the games more interesting I guess.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:55 PM   #23
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadefan11
The only rule we play with is that you cant win on a two... like if the games to 15 and you have 13 you cant win on a two. Kinda bs and soft in my opinion but it makes the end of the games more interesting I guess.
Also interesting. I wonder about the origins of a lot of these traditions. Around these parts we play basketball to 11, though admittedly, our one "thing" is that most often we have to win by two. Otherwise, we play it like a real game of basketball.

On that same note, there's also a pet peeve of mine and it has to do with shooting for teams. I'm a big advocate on selecting teams in under five minutes. For this to happen on an outdoor court with fair competition, it usually means we either select two captains or shoot free throws. Every now and again though, we'll get a guy who gets all bent out of shape and insists we shoot three pointers for teams - because it's manly. 45 minutes later, we start our first game. Or, we just ignore him and have to deal with him and his boys whining all game about how weak we are in these parts.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #24
Fatstogie
Serious playground baller

Quote:

To be the best player you can possibly be no matter what the circumstance.

And really what does it matter? Have you seen many players who are good 3 shooters and bad 2 shooters? No not really. 3pt shooters are just good shooters. Generally. I suppose theres some freak 3pt shooters. But if i can hit from 26ft then i can hit at 10ft.

And mid range is easier cause i usually jump higher. Ive noticed that 3s are better jumping high but for whatever reason i cant work my 3 mechanics with such a hard jump. Like i cant stop it from going way to far. But up closer i can.

Im workin up to a high percentage though. But i move pretty far back alot. Id say i shoot 28ft very frequently. Its really low percentage but it is climbing.
Fatstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #25
Angelsaurus Rex
I airball my layups

Hell naw, I'm a short white dude, I shoot from where the line is. I aint aiming to make it to the NBA.
Angelsaurus Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:50 AM   #26
Fatstogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsaurus Rex
Hell naw, I'm a short white dude, I shoot from where the line is. I aint aiming to make it to the NBA.

I mean im not trying to get into the NBA. Im just tryin to be the best I can be.

im not shooting 28ft in a game but when im practicing i am. Havent been playing many games lately though.

LOL no offense but when the 5'8 dudes want me (6'5)to play its kinda like not fun for me cause i gotta tone shit down. My elbows are face height so its like a lil sketchy. I try to keep it down but its not fun to not go to the max. I cant play hard. I cant even really body up to anyone at all.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #27
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstogie
To be the best player you can possibly be no matter what the circumstance.

And really what does it matter? Have you seen many players who are good 3 shooters and bad 2 shooters? No not really. 3pt shooters are just good shooters. Generally. I suppose theres some freak 3pt shooters. But if i can hit from 26ft then i can hit at 10ft.

There are plenty of guys who can really only bomb. Most of these guys have more set shots and can't get them off inside the line. I mean if they can get set then yea they can make them, but generally you have someone in your face contesting your shot so you need to jump to get your shot off... and most people aren't used to jumping much on their jump shots cus they don't practice hard.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #28
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

I jack em up JR Smith style 3-5 ft behind the line they go in swish though
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #29
devin112
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstogie
I mean im not trying to get into the NBA. Im just tryin to be the best I can be.

im not shooting 28ft in a game but when im practicing i am. Havent been playing many games lately though.

LOL no offense but when the 5'8 dudes want me (6'5)to play its kinda like not fun for me cause i gotta tone shit down. My elbows are face height so its like a lil sketchy. I try to keep it down but its not fun to not go to the max. I cant play hard. I cant even really body up to anyone at all.

doesn't matter how far back behind the 3 point line you are, it's worth the same amount of points. seems like it's an ego thing, if you want uncontested shots use screens better or have a quick release. adding unnecessary distance to a shot worth the same amount of points doesn't make you any better.

practicing midrange makes you better at midrange, practicing 28th foot shots doesn't make you any better at midrange. practicing post ups, rebounding, passing, etc.. that makes you better, best you can be. how many times are you going to take 28ft shots in a game? 1 time, maybe 2? seems like you can advert your attention and time to other parts of the game.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #30
Fatstogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
doesn't matter how far back behind the 3 point line you are, it's worth the same amount of points. seems like it's an ego thing, if you want uncontested shots use screens better or have a quick release. adding unnecessary distance to a shot worth the same amount of points doesn't make you any better.
Yes it does. No one is gonna guard you hard if your 3 feet behind the 3pt line. Theyll usually stand just at the line and wait for you to move up.
Then when you make a few hes gonna crowd you out there and you can blow by him easier.

And yes it does make you better. Im much stronger than most of the people i play with. And its because, well i work out, and also use a 2.5lb weighted ball on occasions(more for specifically increasing my range), but its cause i shoot from out there.

And yea its also an ego thing. Im 6'5 so i do consider myself at a higher level than most of the people i see at a public court or at the Y. Not that im in perfect shape or anything. Shit im at 242 right now so im at least 20lbs overweight at the moment. But winners are winners. It dont matter if your in the NBA or not. My mentality is the same as Kobes, the same as Lebrons. I dont just wanna beat you.

Its not "it dont matter if you win by an inch or a mile." Yes it does. Thats not something a true winner would say. I dont just wanna beat you, i wanna crush your dreams. I wanna make you wanna quit playing. lol
Quote:
practicing midrange makes you better at midrange, practicing 28th foot shots doesn't make you any better at midrange. practicing post ups, rebounding, passing, etc.. that makes you better, best you can be. how many times are you going to take 28ft shots in a game? 1 time, maybe 2? seems like you can advert your attention and time to other parts of the game.

Mid range is easier. For whatever reason i seem to set for 3s but jump high for mid range. As far as posting up im 6'5 so i cant really even practice cause i dont often play people my size. so i can just back em down anyway..

Rebounding again 6'5. And 6'10-6'11 wingspan. So playing recreational players its easy.

I mean your saying it like i dont have a mid range shot. Of course i do. And its far better than my 28ft shot. Its about never being satisfied. Thats the mentality of a winner.
Its not soooo much ego that "oh im gonna be better than you." its not about bashing other people. Its about pushing myself to the limits that i think i should be capable of. And i think i should be able to shoot 35% at 28ft. So thats what im workin on lately.

But point is that i want it to be more difficult. I give my best effort to try and take contested shots. To a point obviously i dont wanna piss the team off but i like to take the hard way out. Cause thats how you get better.

Quote:
There are plenty of guys who can really only bomb. Most of these guys have more set shots and can't get them off inside the line. I mean if they can get set then yea they can make them, but generally you have someone in your face contesting your shot so you need to jump to get your shot off... and most people aren't used to jumping much on their jump shots cus they don't practice hard.
See im backwards. But thats cause i know people put up more D inside the arc. So i always jump shoot. And quite often off balance. Actually off balance at 8-12 ft is probably my best shot next to the post up fade(hard to say how well it would work against bigger dudes, since i never get gaurded by someone taller than me.)
But 3s i typically set shoot cause the D isnt so hard at the 3pt line. Not till you make a few. But then i can step another 3 feet back and catch them off guard again.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: