Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #31
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Do you shoot real threes?

Yeah in the end its what the d gives you. I mean if they give you an open 20 footer why would you take a step back. If its giving you the midrang why take a 3. If your taller then just pull up. But if it comes down to, I'm feeling it, the d is crowding the three and the help d is good, then you take a step back if you have that range. A point is a point, a 25 footer isnt any more legit than a 20 footer.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #32
Fatstogie
Serious playground baller

Fatstogie has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadefan11
Yeah in the end its what the d gives you. I mean if they give you an open 20 footer why would you take a step back. If its giving you the midrang why take a 3. If your taller then just pull up. But if it comes down to, I'm feeling it, the d is crowding the three and the help d is good, then you take a step back if you have that range. A point is a point, a 25 footer isnt any more legit than a 20 footer.

See your wrong there. And youd know it if you recognize it next time it happens. You know damn well when a dude jacks up from 3ft passed the line and makes it you go "oooooooooh dyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn." Cause it does mean more.

Not in points, but in your mind.

Theres no such thing as "good enough" in my mind.

Idk i just think its funny cause i see other people there like scoffing and rolling their eyes while i shoot 27-28 foot shots. Set shots. Or maybe a step in shot. Then ill see them try it and they come up bout 4 feet short.

What if its 321. You could very well have to shoot from anywhere on the court. I at least practice everywhere from halfcourt forward. I can jump shoot from about 3-4 ft from halfcourt. Not high percentage but most people cant even make it there at all, ever

But thats cause they never try. Why not? At the very least work your shooting strength up so you can confidently make it there. I cant say ill make it but i can say i can repeatedly get teh shot there.

Everyone else cant even hit the rim with a set shot from there.
Fatstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #33
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstogie
See your wrong there. And youd know it if you recognize it next time it happens. You know damn well when a dude jacks up from 3ft passed the line and makes it you go "oooooooooh dyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn." Cause it does mean more.

Not in points, but in your mind.

Theres no such thing as "good enough" in my mind.

Idk i just think its funny cause i see other people there like scoffing and rolling their eyes while i shoot 27-28 foot shots. Set shots. Or maybe a step in shot. Then ill see them try it and they come up bout 4 feet short.

What if its 321. You could very well have to shoot from anywhere on the court. I at least practice everywhere from halfcourt forward. I can jump shoot from about 3-4 ft from halfcourt. Not high percentage but most people cant even make it there at all, ever

But thats cause they never try. Why not? At the very least work your shooting strength up so you can confidently make it there. I cant say ill make it but i can say i can repeatedly get teh shot there.

Everyone else cant even hit the rim with a set shot from there.

yeah that's awesome...

keep doing u, it's apparent you have a hard on for hitting rim on long distance shots so knock urself out. i'm done w/ this thread, laters
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:48 PM   #34
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
yeah that's awesome...

keep doing u, it's apparent you have a hard on for hitting rim on long distance shots so knock urself out. i'm done w/ this thread, laters

I'm all in favor of the long ball, but no need to argue with common sense...
Old 08-20-2010, 01:52 AM   #35
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I have been able to shoot the NBA three, but nowhere near consistently. At times Im a 4/5 shooter from college 3. I'd like in my prime my range to be college 3 and in from every angle.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #36
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

FIBA is improving the rules, and the line this season is the same at NBA.
I was practising with some friends yesterday, and i made 16 in 1 minute.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #37
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
FIBA is improving the rules, and the line this season is the same at NBA.
I was practising with some friends yesterday, and i made 16 in 1 minute.

I want to try that
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #38
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Do you go buy the lil top of the key line. Or do you back it up to NBA 3? For me ive been shooting about 3-6 ft past the nba line trying to increase my strength. And i used a weighted ball so i can jump shoot far.

Thats another question. How far can you standing jump shoot? Or even a single step into a jump shot?

I can hit standing still from about 4-5ft behind the NBA 3. And if i step in i can jump shoot from about 3 ft infront of half court.

From half court i can get it that far but i cant aim cause my hand just inst big enough to grip the ball enough to put that much power into it. So it always slips out.

But i was just wondering cause people always argue with me saying "the nba line isnt here." But for me to count a 3 you gotta be at least a ft behind the line. AT least make an attempt not to stand right at the line.

And im not saying its a high percentage. But im dialing in the real long ball right now. Id say about 3 ft behind the nba 3 im hitting at about 20%. So people watching will like laugh that im not making it much. Then ill see them try my shot, 1 time. Miss by 2ft and not try it again. lol And a few times i got hot and kicked it up to about 50% from the same distance but not very often. Maybe 4 or 5 times.

I can easily make set threes from NBA distance, so long as I haven't just been working my arms at the gym all day.

The difference between my % on "college threes" and NBA threes is noticeable though. I can make roughly 45% from college three, but only about 33% from NBA distance when playing. At the parks I go to, the three point line is college distance, so I'm usually not taking a few steps back just to hit one, which is probably the reason for the difference in consistency for me.

When shooting set threes I can make almost 2/3rds from college distance, and about 40%ish from NBA. Threes and defense are the two best parts of my game though.

You shouldn't need to use a weighted ball though, just do regular workouts and shoot normally. Also, rather than shoot set threes, do jumpers instead when you practice. It'll help your shot transition over into games more easily. ^_^

You also shouldn't bother shooting 3-5 feet from behind the line. . .if you want to, feel free, but it's kind of a waste.

Last edited by SinJackal : 08-20-2010 at 05:47 PM.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #39
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I want to try that

We had 3 balls, 3 guys getting the rebounds and 1 passing me the balls .. always on the same place ..
So, when the 5 guys shoot the round the guy that have worst score is out .. and we pass to a different position.

We ended trying to make shoots from half court in 30 seconds ahaha
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #40
Fatstogie
Serious playground baller

Fatstogie has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinJackal
You shouldn't need to use a weighted ball though, just do regular workouts and shoot normally. Also, rather than shoot set threes, do jumpers instead when you practice. It'll help your shot transition over into games more easily. ^_^
Naw the weighted ball was awesome. One of my more favorite work outs. Aside from being a workout it forced form. And got me back into my shot. I just started playing a gain after.... idk 3-4 years of not even touching a ball. So the weighted ball did great for forcing me back into form. Cause if your form isnt perfect, it aint gonna make it.

Quote:
You also shouldn't bother shooting 3-5 feet from behind the line. . .if you want to, feel free, but it's kind of a waste.
Its not just about the shot. Its the mental game. Dont ever let anything be good enough. I jump shoot from half court sometimes too. Game winning shots can happen from there. But aside from that its just about never being satisfied. Thats how you get to be the best.

Right now though my game is coming back into shape. Same as my body. Slowly but surely.
Fatstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #41
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

Quote:
Naw the weighted ball was awesome. One of my more favorite work outs. Aside from being a workout it forced form. And got me back into my shot. I just started playing a gain after.... idk 3-4 years of not even touching a ball. So the weighted ball did great for forcing me back into form. Cause if your form isnt perfect, it aint gonna make it.

Its not just about the shot. Its the mental game. Dont ever let anything be good enough. I jump shoot from half court sometimes too. Game winning shots can happen from there. But aside from that its just about never being satisfied. Thats how you get to be the best.

Right now though my game is coming back into shape. Same as my body. Slowly but surely.

Yeah I sometimes like the weighted ball but not too much, actually throws off my form sometimes.

And yeah its great to have gilbert range, but he only uses it at the end of quarters/games or desperate situations. Most times its best to go right to the line and shoot. MJ would never take a deep three just to look cool and take a players heart out, winning was enough for him, and it should be for you too.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #42
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

Well, if someone hits a deep three, I just consider it to be luck and think it's sad that they are too scared to play normally and shoot a contested shot. It doesn't make me think anything except think less of the player who did it.

It's not a matter of "good enough", but a matter of pointless excess. There's no need to waste time building your range to levels that will not serve any real purpose when you can be working on having a more consistent shot from the ranges you will usually be shooting at. There's just a lot more useful things we could be doing than taking halfcourt shots or shots 5 feet farther back than we need to be. That's all I'm sayin'.

And being "the best" has nothing to do with being able to make nearly half court shots, especially if the rest of your game isn't up to par (Not saying yours isn't, since I have no idea. . .but wasting time on HORSE type shots like that is just gonna hurt your game since you're neglecting the rest of it that actually matters). You could be working on your dribbles, post moves, fadeaway, anything that's more often applicable.

But again. . .I guess if you really want to shoot the super long shots, feel free. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just offering some advice.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #43
stridge
Decent playground baller

stridge is a pretty well-respected posterstridge is a pretty well-respected posterstridge is a pretty well-respected poster

range is dead after about 15 feet.
stridge is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: