Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Should you be training for the way you play or the way you want to play?

I'm training and practicing for the upcoming season and I had a thought: should you train to improve the way you play already, or to become a different player?

Let me explain: I'd say I'm pretty versatile. I don't mean I can play multiple positions, but I can change and adapt my game style to my teammates and my opponents. I have 3 styles and sometimes things get mixed between them:

1. Rajon Rondo, where I bring the ball up but only set up offense and don't shoot much
2. Monta Ellis where I play off the ball and focus on driving and mid range jumpers and score more
3. Trevor Ariza (2009 Lakers) where I focus on defense and rebounding as well as knocking down open shots and finishing on the break

Now I find that my team wins the most when I play Ariza style. However, I've been training Ellis style where I'm really working my offensive repertoire. The problem is that for most of the teams I'd play for I'd be the Ariza role player instead of the Ellis main scorer. This is because there are much better scorers than me usually so I focus playing off them.

Should I be training to be a role player, which I will be on a team where we actually win, or like a scorer which I'd only be a team which probably won't win many? Should I focus on set shots and perimeter defense or personal offensive creation? I understand it's best to work on all aspects but which should I focus on?
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people
Default Re: Should you be training for the way you play or the way you want to play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I'm training and practicing for the upcoming season and I had a thought: should you train to improve the way you play already, or to become a different player?

Let me explain: I'd say I'm pretty versatile. I don't mean I can play multiple positions, but I can change and adapt my game style to my teammates and my opponents. I have 3 styles and sometimes things get mixed between them:

1. Rajon Rondo, where I bring the ball up but only set up offense and don't shoot much
2. Monta Ellis where I play off the ball and focus on driving and mid range jumpers and score more
3. Trevor Ariza (2009 Lakers) where I focus on defense and rebounding as well as knocking down open shots and finishing on the break

Now I find that my team wins the most when I play Ariza style. However, I've been training Ellis style where I'm really working my offensive repertoire. The problem is that for most of the teams I'd play for I'd be the Ariza role player instead of the Ellis main scorer. This is because there are much better scorers than me usually so I focus playing off them.

Should I be training to be a role player, which I will be on a team where we actually win, or like a scorer which I'd only be a team which probably won't win many? Should I focus on set shots and perimeter defense or personal offensive creation? I understand it's best to work on all aspects but which should I focus on?

Well its tough to practice being a role player... I guess shooting open shots but thats also good for being a scorer. IMO always work on improving your game/scoring abilities that way if you need to score you can, but if not you can contribute to your team.

But I feel the same way about being a different player depending on who I play with.

1. Stephen Curry: Bringing ball up most of time, shooting off dribble and when open, and getting a few assists
2. Eddie House: Play off the ball look to shoot, create my shot but not doing to much to attack. (When I'm playing with really good players)
3. Iverson:Bringing ball up sometimes, when I'm best on my team by far attacking basket, shooting a ton and just tring to put up points.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Should you be training for the way you play or the way you want to play?

It's a little tough to give you an answer because, well, you already eliminated my answer (working on everything). I guess in lieu of improving all aspects, I'd suggest getting to know your role on your team. You can never really go wrong with focusing on defense and rebounding. Teams are always looking for guys who want and will work the glass and play a key role in shutting down the opposition.

As long as you remain offensively coherent, I'd say there's no problem in really working to improve your defense and rebounding so you can help your squad. Though I'll say, I never like limiting myself to what I can and cannot develop. I practice basketball, and that covers the gamet. But say, if you're looking for your best chance to see the court (i.e. playing time) and you know d'ing up tight and snagging caroms are your best chance, then by golly go get it.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

I agree with Rake... It depends on what role you are actually going to play for your team. You know you are going to play guard, so no matter what, you have to be able to handle the the ball. Even if you aren't the primary ball handler you might be counted on to bring the ball up the floor or set something up offensively.

Secondly, be real with yourself, do you think you are a legitimate #1 option? If not, then focus on getting your 3 ball up. As a guard, most of the time you you will be counted on to shoot (unless you are Thabo Sefalosha) and knock down the shot, and a lot of times that will be a 3 ball created by someone else's penetration or possibly a double team. I would also work on your floaters and mid range. If you get the ball behind the line and someone is closing out hard, you want to have the ability to put the ball on the floor and either pull up for a 17 footer, go in further and float the ball over the bigs, take it hard to the rack, or make a play for someone else. You basically want to be JJ Reddick... and if you can finish through contact that is an added bonus. You don't really need to work on anything fancy basically... just what is necessary, and master it. Also cutting, finishing, and then of course defense and rebounding.

So, if you are not the #1 and are more of an off ball role player, work on those kinds of things the majority of the time... but a player can never get too skilled, so definitely work on other parts of your game as well if you have the time. You never know when you get a favorable matchup and your defender really won't be able to guard you... so make sure you have some moves so you can easily beat him.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Here's where it gets trick though:

I'm a point guard technically. I'm usually the smallest person and the one who doesn't mind not taking any shots to set up an offense. However, in lots of the games I play in, there are other point guards who are bigger, stronger and better scorers. So I shift over and role play.

Now I have no clue what position I'd be on a team. On a legit team, being the number 1 option is not even an option. Ideally I'd be a point forward whose like the 3-4th option, knocks down the shots, gets fouled alot and guards the other teams better scorers. But my size makes that unrealistic.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Yea if you are a little guy you are basically predetermined to run the point... cus it's all your size will allow you to do. I'm in the same boat... at 6'0 in shoes, I couldn't play my more natural position of 2 guard anywhere legit. I know you want to try out for your HS team and get to a higher level... so you better start learning how to run the point and practicing nothing but that for a while until you have it down... then incorporate other things.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Yeah you bring up a good point because in HS and any level after that it would be a huge liability if I was moved anywhere besides PG because of my size. I haven't had much experience actually running the point because in most of the pickup games I play in, nobody moves around. The only time I can actually create is in transition. Otherwise, my playmaking only revolves around hitting the open man on the perimeter and drive and kicking it out.

The gym I've been going to has had a lack of pick up games for the last month or so, so all I can get into is 2 on 2. There aren't many options for creation there...

But at least now I know exactly what I have to work on. What are some of the PG skills *you yourself* want to play with? I know everyone says a point guard should be a good passer/ball handler but what are the qualities of a point guard you like playing with?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Just keep practicing your shot too. No matter where you are even if your undersized, if you can shoot, you will make the team.

Otherwise I jst work on having 3-4 go to dribbling moves, crossover, double crossover, between legs, in and out, and really perfect those
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
Jxgator33
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Jxgator33 has an OK reputation so far

When I play 2 or 3, I like a point guard that is tough to be pressured, drive and penetrate pass-first player, can hit open 3s, tough on D, and a burner (can't really control so much). One thing that I hate is when someone who is one of the worst players on the court, but think that since he's the point guard he should try to dominate the ball and be a top player. If you're not a scorer or penetrator, just get the ball across halfcourt and get it to your scorers.

Keep working hard.
Jxgator33 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: