Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Default Best Rapper alive lyrically?

Herer is how i think it goes:

1. Talib Kweli
2. Mos Def
3. Jay Z
4. Common
5. Nas
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
embersyc
Lurker

Del or Blackthought
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Black thought
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

u really aren't $hit without a somewhat good beat so the whole argument over who the best rapper is "lyrically" is kinda dumb... and if we were basing it on lyrics, Jay doesn't belong anywhere on that list. Of course, everyone is gonna have their different tastes as to what they like. For me it's all about how much I can relate to the lyrics, the beat, & delivery (in that order). When mixing all those things together, my top 5 favorites are...

1) DMX- Nobody does a better job of making a good mix of club tracks & real life stuff. He can be aggressive or slow it down.

2) 50 Cent- Obviously 99.9% of ISH believes that 50 sucks but his # of records sold don't lie. I just happen to like his somewhat lazy/slow delivery & unlike Nas, he's got a good producer.

3) Obie Trice- Can relate to a lot of his stuff. Probably raps about more real life stuff than most rappers out right now.

4) Eminem- Similar to Obie, only he's white and has overcome the odds in a mostly black culture.

5) Ludacris/Jadakiss- Just like Jada's delivery. For Luda, "Chicken & Beer" is his best album. Totally different than his others...

Also, for a change of topic, who does everyone think is the best DJ?

Kay Slay, nobody comes close to the drama king.
jrt1584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
jjswifty

I respect your opinions and all, but you said 50 Cent and I couldnt stop laughing.
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjswifty
I respect your opinions and all, but you said 50 Cent and I couldnt stop laughing.

50>>>Jay-Z

Now lets see, your list includes... Oh yeah, u didn't even state yours.

I'll go with the majority of ISH then...

1) Talib Kwali
2) Mos Def
3) Nas

Better? Now I can be just like everyone else...
Old 11-17-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

I'm starting to think ISH is actually jealous of 50 because he's THAT damn popular. Obviously there are millions of people out there who think his stuff is tight, just none of them post on ISH. Like Pac/Biggie of the '90s, 50 is the most popular rapper of this decade for a reason. Like i've said a billion times already, people would love the guy if he was still underground, but he blew up and now everyone's like "50 sucks" "lol" ""

I think Jay-Z sucks, but i dont go runnin around like a little girl laughing and $hit. Why? cuz i know if i did, the other person wouldnt care cuz this is a god damn message board.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
IamtheWalrus
Banned

is this an oxymoron???
IamtheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
jjswifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheWalrus
is this an oxymoron???

my toughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1584
I'm starting to think ISH is actually jealous of 50 because he's THAT damn popular. Obviously there are millions of people out there who think his stuff is tight, just none of them post on ISH. Like Pac/Biggie of the '90s, 50 is the most popular rapper of this decade for a reason. Like i've said a billion times already, people would love the guy if he was still underground, but he blew up and now everyone's like "50 sucks" "lol" ""

I think Jay-Z sucks, but i dont go runnin around like a little girl laughing and $hit. Why? cuz i know if i did, the other person wouldnt care cuz this is a god damn message board.

If you dont care, whyd you post back to back, looking to defend your 50 Cent post. You must obviously care...

I admit, I liked 50 when he was underground. Most ppl did, but he turned his back on the ppl that got him there. Anyways, his music suxxx.
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:33 PM   #10
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjswifty
my toughts exactly.

If you dont care, whyd you post back to back, looking to defend your 50 Cent post. You must obviously care...

I admit, I liked 50 when he was underground. Most ppl did, but he turned his back on the ppl that got him there. Anyways, his music suxxx.

so in other words, you're saying he "sold out." U would too if u had Eminem/Dre wanting to sign u to the best record label in the rap game. where's your list if you're gonna talk all that b.s.? Scared of what others may think or what? Grow some balls... Come on little jj, u can do it little buddy
Old 11-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #11
LAZYBOY
PERMA-BANNED

Being from Cali I can relate to 50 more than any of those other rappers listed. But IMO the best rapper is Busta Rhymes. He can rap mellow, slow, he can tongue twist, the most versatile I've seen. Mac Dre was on the verge before he died, and I like Scarface and Snoop. But rap mostly sucks now anyways.
LAZYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
LALakerFan4Life
16 Time NBA Champions!

1. Nas
2. Rakim
3. Jay-Z
4. Eminem
5. KRS-One
LALakerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:47 PM   #13
Zombles
Local High School Star

Aesop Rock.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

That's the first time I've ever heard anybody mention Busta Rhymes. As a lyricist, the guy's been sorely underrated for years. A lot of his goofiness and production overshadows his content when he's pretty solid at laying down tracks. When he breaks it down on some real s#!t, he puts it down as best as the top acts out today. Can't recall the album, I want to say it was about 8 years ago, on a track he flowed for two and a half minutes non stop without taking a breath on some slowed down Twista tongue twisters. You ever stop and listen to one of his albums, you'll be chin in hand like, "hey...this guy has something."

I think Lil Wayne is also one of the best out. Not just a rapper, but also a legitimate lyricist.

Mos def Mos Def.

Obie Trice. Fans know. Mass public has yet to catch on.

Jay>>>>Nas. Nas is a force on the mic, unquestioned. But Jay, the guy dumbs down for his listeners. His sly rhymes are strong enough to pull you in but simple enough for the casual of listeners to understand.
TEXAS BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:13 PM   #15
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

GZA

...but if Big L was still alive he would have to be #1 though.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: