Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-26-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default The proposed 18-game season: Bad idea, or Awful idea?

LaDainian Tomlinson was done before he turned 30. And he's a Hall of Famer. But when you have such huge men with with such incredible athletic ability (especially when it comes to speed and power) ramming into one another 20 or so times per game (less if you're a receiver...all damn day if you're a lineman) it's hard to be on top into your 30s when you're all about speed and quickness. We're guaranteed to see at least one Contender lose their Pro Bowl QB. Brain trauma from repeat concussions has been revealed to be a personality-altering epidemic. And this is no exact statistic I'm quoting, but I can't remember the last full game I saw that didn't have at least one season-ending injury. And yet while they'll order DEs to hop on one leg to protect QBs from injury they still want to tack on 2 more completely unnecessary games?

I predict (because it's an easy, obvious prediction) that by forcing teams to play two more games seriously they will raise the # of players, star players and starting QBs that are injured come postseason.

If anything the NFL should make the year even shorter so that we could see teams at fuller strength (no one is at "full" strength after a football season). But is the money they'll make with those two more games (and two less preseason contests) worth what the fans lose with injured players and the injuries suffered by the players themselves?
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The proposed 18-game season: Bad idea, or Awful idea?

It's 2010

WWIII could happen at any second.

I say go with the 18 schedule.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think it's a terrible idea.

There are things in life that require change, but this seems like change just for the sake of change.

I can't recall ever thinking "boy, they need to fix that NFL schedule."

It's perfect the way it is. You add more games, and you slightly diminish the importance of each one. That's what makes this sport so great. You had better be on top of your game week in/week out, as any one loss can be pretty crushing.

Not to mention, the reasons you listed
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=184688

Your assertion that it's either a bad idea or a terrible idea is stupid. And to say that the season should instead be shorter is far more stupid.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well I think a 19 week schedule with 2 bye weeks a good idea with 17 games basically or they can add another week and make it another bye week.

18 games is tough.. I think the current format is fine but adding 2 more games will add tons of money something those money hungry owner whores love..
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
but I can't remember the last full game I saw that didn't have at least one season-ending injury.

What? This is not common place at all.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
I'm not apologizing for not looking for a month-old thread.
Quote:
Your assertion that it's either a bad idea or a terrible idea is stupid. And to say that the season should instead be shorter is far more stupid.
Your habit of posting opinions without in any way debating the issue is stupid...no need to quantify the level of stupidity, it fails to speak for itself.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
What? This is not common place at all.
I didn't do any research, but it seems like every team has at least one player that had a serious injury last year. I admit it was hyperbole, but it's a fact that there are a lot injuries in football, and a number of teams have had seasons ruined by injuries to key personnel.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=184688

^^^ I stand by my opinions in that thread

I want this to happen...

from the looks of things, it is going to happen in 2012...not next year but the year after...

they have been meeting about this a lot recently...the season ticket holders want more obviously...the owners want more, obviously...most fans want more, obviously...but it doesn't look like a lot of the players are happy about it, and they want to make sure the players are behind it first...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
^^^ I stand by my opinions in that thread

I want this to happen...

from the looks of things, it is going to happen in 2012...not next year but the year after...

they have been meeting about this a lot recently...the season ticket holders want more obviously...the owners want more, obviously...most fans want more, obviously...but it doesn't look like a lot of the players are happy about it, and they want to make sure the players are behind it first...

pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

wasn't THAT funny Pete...

definately not worthy of a super scroll down post...
Old 08-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Explaining to everyone when the year 2012 [NOT next year, but the year after] is definitely deserved a massive scroll down post.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

like not next season, but the following season...

yeah it was repetitive and stupid...but not a reason to flip out...just a grammar f*ck up...
Old 08-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #14
clipse026
Local High School Star

clipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected poster

It's going to make post NFL life worse for the players for sure. More chance for injuries, more wear and tear on the big guys in the trenches. It will probably happen though. The NFL is a big money business and the owners want money. I know as a fan you want more NFL but there will be a price to pay with injuries. Just hope your team is lucky and avoids them when it matters.

As far as the actually question, I think it's a bad idea. Too much risk for the players and I don't think will agree to it without a fight.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:08 AM   #15
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I'm not apologizing for not looking for a month-old thread.

Your habit of posting opinions without in any way debating the issue is stupid...

I debate when there's a reason to. I posted in the other thread, so I'm not apologizing for not elaborating in this thread. What is there to debate? Injuries? They're a part of the game. Good teams have depth and the coaches will rest players accordingly. If 1 injury sinks your team, then you didn't have a very strong team. There's a reason for back ups. You can get other players more pt. They don't really need 4 preseason games. Take 2 off and make them regular season games that actually count. If they were to keep 4 preseason games and an 18-game schedule, then that would be stupid.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: