Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #691
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Re: Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

How accurate is all of this stuff? It would be crazy if this is how it all went down back down. I know Nucky Thompson character existed I'm just asking how much of the story from Boardwalk Empire is accurate. It would be nuts if Al Capone acually did bail Nucky out.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #692
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I want to see a .gif of Richard laying down guns like he was setting up classes in f*cking CALL OF DUTY!

Where yall at?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #693
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
How accurate is all of this stuff? It would be crazy if this is how it all went down back down. I know Nucky Thompson character existed I'm just asking how much of the story from Boardwalk Empire is accurate. It would be nuts if Al Capone acually did bail Nucky out.

I doubt it went down the way it was portrayed in the show, but Masseria and Capone/Torrio had real beef for some reason, with both sides taking out key guys of the other. So this is the way the show introduces that I guess.

Pic of Capone and Nucky Johnson on the AC boardwalk (Nucky said it was doctored, does look a bit shopped IMO):

Speaking of Historical accuracy, I thought them introducing the mute from Castellamare and having him connected to Buffalo was their way of introducing Stefano Maggadino into the fold (they mentioned him a few times). Maggadino was the boss of Buffalo, aligned with the Castellamarese, and a cousin to Salvatore Maranzanzo's right hand man and future boss Joseph Bonano. Thought they were going to get the ball rolling on the coming Castellamarese storyline early, but it was a false flag.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #694
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

The Gyp/Chalky exchange was maybe the best this show has ever had and Capone's one liner was maybe the best this show has ever had as well.

From looking at the preview, so much shit seems to go on it looks like it could be an extended finale although it doesn't look like it.

Kinda gets on my nerves that this show doesn't get the credit it deserves. Only show right now that I watch that's better IMO is Breaking Bad. I'll take this over Homeland or Game of Thrones, which are great as well, without hesitation.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #695
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

I cannot wait until the season finale!
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:08 AM   #696
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

No way this is all getting resolved with one episode left. I'm going to guess a good portion of the main story line will bleed into next season. There is just too much going.

Amazing episode, imo. For the first time, Nucky was completely vulnerable throughout.

Gyp is in some real trouble.

I'm trying to figure what Harrow's angle is going to be. I guess he is going to storm the brothel in an attempt to retrieve the kid? Or, will he join Nucky's team?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:48 AM   #697
shaq2000
mde

Capone and Harrow would be good allies to have.

Also, I wonder... does such a strong loyalty as Eddie's to Nucky exist in the real world? Even among blood?
shaq2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #698
macmac
Gov'n

So that pic posted made me look at other old time pictures of old gangsters, and I found this guy nicholas terranova of the Morello gang. Looks fkin exactly like Gyp Rosetti....

macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #699
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Speaking of Historical accuracy, I thought them introducing the mute from Castellamare and having him connected to Buffalo was their way of introducing Stefano Maggadino into the fold (they mentioned him a few times). Maggadino was the boss of Buffalo, aligned with the Castellamarese, and a cousin to Salvatore Maranzanzo's right hand man and future boss Joseph Bonano. Thought they were going to get the ball rolling on the coming Castellamarese storyline early, but it was a false flag.

That's exactly what I thought, and even though I was taken aback by the arrest, I was still disappointed that it didn't turn out to be what I thought it was gonna be.

I do wonder what throwing Luciano in the hooscow does to the story at this point. Does it cut off Lansky? More likely it pushes Lansky closer to Rothstein, which is pretty accurate. Creates tension between Lansky and Maseria, and probably pushes Rothstein in that direction too, which seems odd, but it would give them reason to become mutual, albeit hesitant allies with Nucky, seeing as they'd have a common enemy.

There were some great moments last night. Great payoff for Chalky after an otherwise slow season for him. Gyp was spectacular as usual. And seeing Nucky this vulnerable is definitely new for this show. This has been a great season for the Eli redemption storyline as well.

For me this is easily the most accessible season of this show, and I'd say the best season to date as well.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #700
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I went to a bunch of movies over the long weekend, and was happy to notice some familiar faces.

Rothstein makes a very good turn in Lincoln as an on the fence abolotionist in the House of Representatives.

And Eli plays big brother to bi-polar Bradley Cooper in Silver Lining Playbook, in which he was quite entertaining.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #701
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
No way this is all getting resolved with one episode left. I'm going to guess a good portion of the main story line will bleed into next season. There is just too much going.

Amazing episode, imo. For the first time, Nucky was completely vulnerable throughout.

Gyp is in some real trouble.

I'm trying to figure what Harrow's angle is going to be. I guess he is going to storm the brothel in an attempt to retrieve the kid? Or, will he join Nucky's team?

Gyp has Nucky, Gillian, and Harrow all wanting him dead for different reasons. I thought only having Gyp for 1 season would've been crazy but it looks like thats what makes the most sense.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #702
mika
High School Varsity 12th Man

probably one of my favorite episodes yet. i was pissed that the episode was only 50 minutes long.
mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #703
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
So that pic posted made me look at other old time pictures of old gangsters, and I found this guy nicholas terranova of the Morello gang. Looks fkin exactly like Gyp Rosetti....

Damn, that is an uncanny resemblance

I was wondering who, if anyone, Gyp was based on Historically. I don't think it was Terranova since he would've been dead for a few years at this point, but that dude could be a long lost relative of Cannavale's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurus
I do wonder what throwing Luciano in the hooscow does to the story at this point. Does it cut off Lansky? More likely it pushes Lansky closer to Rothstein, which is pretty accurate. Creates tension between Lansky and Maseria, and probably pushes Rothstein in that direction too, which seems odd, but it would give them reason to become mutual, albeit hesitant allies with Nucky, seeing as they'd have a common enemy.

I think all of that will happen. The heroin arrest in 1923 was a key turning point for Lucky. He became sort of a pariah afterwards and went to Rothstein for advice. AR had him basically reinvent his image- he bought 200 prime seat tickets for the top figures in crime and politics in NY to see the Jack Dempsey-Louis Angel Firpo fight in the Bronx. He also took Lucky shopping and got him an expensive, finely tailored suit. That was the moment that Lucky's stock rose in the underworld and he began to transition from glorified muscle to notable.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #704
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

"We been on the road for 18 hours. I need a bath, some chow, and then you and me sit down... and we talk about who dies."

Awesome.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #705
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Really enjoying the Eli angle this season too. Thought he was a great character right off the bat and liked having him in the mix.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: