Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #691
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Also random but related note, Gaston Means was actually a historical figure. I had no idea until very recently:

Gaston Bullock Means was an American private detective, salesman, bootlegger, forger, swindler, murder suspect, blackmailer, and con artist.

While not involved in the Teapot Dome scandal, Means was associated with other members of the so-called Ohio Gang that gathered around the administration of President Warren G. Harding. Means also tried to pull a con associated with the Lindbergh kidnapping, and died in prison following his criminal conviction.

His life avocation, however, was that of a confidence trickster. J. Edgar Hoover once called him "the most amazing figure in contemporary criminal history" because of his ability to weave a believable albeit fraudulent story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaston_Means

I watched the inside the episode and Terrence Winter said that Jess Smith, who was also a historical figure, suicide was based on real events. His death was ruled a suicide but it was Gaston Means that actually found him and since Jess Smith knew so much and was considered unstable at the time, there were rumors that Gaston did kill him. Looks like they did their own little spin off of it which is pretty cool.

Pretty much half the characters on this show are historical and the other half are made up i.e. Nucky, Commodore, Capone, Torrio, Rothstein, Luciano, Lansky, Doyle, Masseria, Daugherty, Mellon, Jess, Gaston, O'Bannion are all real while Jimmy, Owen, Margaret, Gillian, Van Alden, Gyp, Harrow, Chalky are made up.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #692
Loneshot
(◣_◢) CoLa

Loneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLoneshot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I haven't seen the last three episodes, has the show picked up this season?
Loneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #693
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
I watched the inside the episode and Terrence Winter said that Jess Smith, who was also a historical figure, suicide was based on real events. His death was ruled a suicide but it was Gaston Means that actually found him and since Jess Smith knew so much and was considered unstable at the time, there were rumors that Gaston did kill him. Looks like they did their own little spin off of it which is pretty cool.

Pretty much half the characters on this show are historical and the other half are made up i.e. Nucky, Commodore, Capone, Torrio, Rothstein, Luciano, Lansky, Doyle, Masseria, Daugherty, Mellon, Jess, Gaston, O'Bannion are all real while Jimmy, Owen, Margaret, Gillian, Van Alden, Gyp, Harrow, Chalky are made up.

I probably know more about the figures and time period than anyone here, so I'm well aware of that fact. Just didn't know Gaston specifically was a real life character

Speaking of History, I wonder if the Nucky-Gyp (Masseria) feud will be used on the show to sow the beginnings of the Castellamarese War. The Chicago outfit had beef with Masseria and threw their support behind Maranzano. It'd be cool if Torrio agreed to help Nucky and enlisted some guys from Castellamarese del Golfo to take out Gyp and thus laying the foundations for the conflict and Maranzano's (and hopefully a cameo from Cascioferro ) introduction into the series, especially since there's no way he won't be a huge part of the story soon.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #694
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
I don't know what it was, but even before Luciano and Lansky sold Nucky's plans out to Masseria, I felt like it was going to be Owen's last episode alive.

Yup. I called it also. It seemed obvious to me that's where they were headed. As for how this season's going to end?
bagelred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #695
clipse026
Local High School Star

clipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected poster

Well now that Owen doesn't get his happy ending, hopefully Harrow does. He needs to take the girl and the kid and gtfo. Kill Gillian while he's at it.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #696
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse026
Well now that Owen doesn't get his happy ending, hopefully Harrow does. He needs to take the girl and the kid and gtfo. Kill Gillian while he's at it.

The bottles washing up on the shore when he was with his lady was not a good omen for Harrow
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #697
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
The bottles washing up on the shore when he was with his lady was not a good omen for Harrow

There were a few bad omens in this episode. After Rothstein turns down Luciano and Lansky, I found it interesting that they took the time to somewhat dramatically miss his pool shot.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #698
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I probably know more about the figures and time period than anyone here, so I'm well aware of that fact. Just didn't know Gaston specifically was a real life character

Speaking of History, I wonder if the Nucky-Gyp (Masseria) feud will be used on the show to sow the beginnings of the Castellamarese War. The Chicago outfit had beef with Masseria and threw their support behind Maranzano. It'd be cool if Torrio agreed to help Nucky and enlisted some guys from Castellamarese del Golfo to take out Gyp and thus laying the foundations for the conflict and Maranzano's (and hopefully a cameo from Cascioferro ) introduction into the series, especially since there's no way he won't be a huge part of the story soon.

Actually I didn't know either until I saw the inside the episode. I usually wikipedia alot of these characters to see if they were real or not and for some reason I just assumed Gaston wasn't

Interesting article about it: http://dcist.com/2012/11/boardwalk_e...s_grisly_m.php

It'll be interesting what direction they go with the rest of the show. Its only 1923 right now, but the Castellamarese War didn't start till the late 20s? Seems like alot of the deaths and/or power shifts of the key players of prohibition time don't come until the late 20s. I could see them ending the show before any of that, but I've always thought it would make the most sense for the show to end with the end of prohibition, which doesn't happen till 1933. It looks like every season is 2 years apart (season 1 - 1919, season 2 - 1921, season 3 - 1923), so the show would have to last another 5 seasons for that to occur at this rate. Not sure if that will happen, but I hope it does.

I asked this question earlier, but what do you think will happen with Margaret going forward? Like I said, I've hated her all season but she was surprisingly great this past episode. However, with Owen dead, Nucky basically knowing now what was going on behind his back, and Margaret seemingly done with all the hospital stuff, it almost seems like she's the next one to go. I really can't see this whole awkward/tense love/hate relationship keep going with Nucky and Margaret anymore, especially cause she's pregnant and since it would make Nucky look weak and its kinda played out at this point anyway. That seems like a point of no return. The only thing I can see is Nucky having her killed, or killing her himself, showing us that Nucky is even more ruthless now.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #699
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
Actually I didn't know either until I saw the inside the episode. I usually wikipedia alot of these characters to see if they were real or not and for some reason I just assumed Gaston wasn't

Interesting article about it: http://dcist.com/2012/11/boardwalk_e...s_grisly_m.php

It'll be interesting what direction they go with the rest of the show. Its only 1923 right now, but the Castellamarese War didn't start till the late 20s? Seems like alot of the deaths and/or power shifts of the key players of prohibition time don't come until the late 20s. I could see them ending the show before any of that, but I've always thought it would make the most sense for the show to end with the end of prohibition, which doesn't happen till 1933. It looks like every season is 2 years apart (season 1 - 1919, season 2 - 1921, season 3 - 1923), so the show would have to last another 5 seasons for that to occur at this rate. Not sure if that will happen, but I hope it does.

I asked this question earlier, but what do you think will happen with Margaret going forward? Like I said, I've hated her all season but she was surprisingly great this past episode. However, with Owen dead, Nucky basically knowing now what was going on behind his back, and Margaret seemingly done with all the hospital stuff, it almost seems like she's the next one to go. I really can't see this whole awkward/tense love/hate relationship keep going with Nucky and Margaret anymore, especially cause she's pregnant and since it would make Nucky look weak and its kinda played out at this point anyway. That seems like a point of no return. The only thing I can see is Nucky having her killed, or killing her himself, showing us that Nucky is even more ruthless now.

I've got a gut feeling that Margaret and the kids will get away. Sort of the one happy ending written into the series since it seems like everyone else, Harrow included, is gonna end up dead or in prison.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #700
guy
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I've got a gut feeling that Margaret and the kids will get away. Sort of the one happy ending written into the series since it seems like everyone else, Harrow included, is gonna end up dead or in prison.

I don't see Harrow dying anytime soon. In fact, I think it makes a ton of sense for Nucky to come to Harrow to be his new right hand man. He needs someone like that with Owen gone, and it seems like their encounter earlier this season was to establish the fact that they have mutual respect for each other, plus Harrow clearly despises Gillian who's allied herself with Rosetti.

As far as Margaret goes, I don't know if I can see that, plus I'm not sure they even care about having any happy endings The irony of her story is that she got with Nucky initially for security it seems but she's been less secure then ever being involved with a man like that with all the danger involved. Would make sense for her to die at his hands with that being the case.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #701
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
As far as Margaret goes, I don't know if I can see that, plus I'm not sure they even care about having any happy endings The irony of her story is that she got with Nucky initially for security it seems but she's been less secure then ever being involved with a man like that with all the danger involved. Would make sense for her to die at his hands with that being the case.

I can see that happening too but Jesus that would be dark and depressing.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #702
guy
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
I can see that happening too but Jesus that would be dark and depressing.

I guess I could see Nucky forgiving her with the logic being that he was doing the same thing to her and now both of them don't have anyone else and he does seem like he cares about the kids, of course assuming he never finds out Margaret is pregnant with Owen's kid and that Margaret does something to get rid of it (raw milk?). It just doesn't seem like it would make sense with the development of his character. Seems like his character has growingly gotten colder and more ruthless with having to stay on top of his colder and more ruthless enemies being the driving force behind that.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #703
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
I guess I could see Nucky forgiving her with the logic being that he was doing the same thing to her and now both of them don't have anyone else and he does seem like he cares about the kids, of course assuming he never finds out Margaret is pregnant with Owen's kid and that Margaret does something to get rid of it (raw milk?). It just doesn't seem like it would make sense with the development of his character. Seems like his character has growingly gotten colder and more ruthless with having to stay on top of his colder and more ruthless enemies being the driving force behind that.

Oh definitely. That's why I think her only option is escape.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #704
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
I don't see Harrow dying anytime soon. In fact, I think it makes a ton of sense for Nucky to come to Harrow to be his new right hand man. He needs someone like that with Owen gone, and it seems like their encounter earlier this season was to establish the fact that they have mutual respect for each other, plus Harrow clearly despises Gillian who's allied herself with Rosetti.

Seems that's where its headed. Almost as a matter of convenience for both. They had to establish that Harrow isn't out to kill Nucky and vice versa.....Nucky is a pragmatist and needs Harrow's skills, and Harrow could use a high paying job away from Gillian.
bagelred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #705
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Did they really "sell out" Nucky's plans... Or was the entire killing of Owen orchestrated by Nucky? There was something about the way Nucky was talking to Margaret the night before "the box" arrived that made me feel he had sent Owen on a suicide mission, knowing what the end result would be. "We'll be starting over fresh," he said.

I need to re-watch it, but by the end of the episode, I was completely certain that everything was done for effect... Including possibly the opening of the box in front of Margaret.

We'll see what comes out in the coming episodes, but I have a theory that Nucky figured out the affair and his revenge was about what you would expect from a guy like that.

Call me crazy.

I disagree. They kept focusing in on the look of Nuckys face to his wifes reaction to Ownes death. I don't think they would focus on the shocked look Nuckys got, if he knew what was going on. I don't think he would have been shocked period. I'm not sure that even before the kill, that they ever showed Nucky being suspicious of his wife and Owen. At least not enough where it would make an impact later in the story.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: