Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #796
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

I'm also curious about just how much Nucky knew and when.

Is Doyle on the chopping block for turning him over to Rothstein, or was that under Nucky's directive. Nucky says "Big Bait catches Big Fish", or something to that effect, regarding the transfer of the distellery to Rothstein. But we never hear him tell Doyle to 'bait the hook' as it were. In fact it doesn't seem like Nucky would've had much time to think about it, as Nucky seemed surprised that Doyle even got a hold of him. So did he hatch that plan off the cuff while he was on the phone with Doyle? Or is it more likely Doyle acted on his own contacting Rothstien?

Right now I'm sort of of the mind that Doyle was acting under Nucky's command, but I could easily be convinced otherwise.

The Masseria Rothstien part I think stems from the fact that Masseria is looking at Rothstien like these two young punks, or more specifically Luciano, screwed up this big deal, and Rothstein kind of came in, cleaned up their mess, and is offering to help Masseria get his deal back on track. Sort of an olive branch offering one pro to help another, instead of having to deal with these two amatuer hour kids.
There's obviously going to be a ton of parallells between Masseria/Rothstein and Luciano/Lansky. The ethnic backgrounds obviously. But the planning vs. action dynamic will be similar. And they'll sort of isolate this variable that Luciano and Lansky actually trust each other and get along, whereas Rothstein and Masseria will constantly be doubting the other. That's my guess anyway.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #797
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Also, anyone else think that the guy who plays Harrow, Jack Huston, grandson of the legendary John Huston, nephew to the great Angelica Huston, is the guy in all those Guinness Black Commercials.

I swear that's him.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #798
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Also, anyone else think that the guy who plays Harrow, Jack Huston, grandson of the legendary John Huston, nephew to the great Angelica Huston, is the guy in all those Guinness Black Commercials.

I swear that's him.

It is him.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #799
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Is Doyle on the chopping block for turning him over to Rothstein, or was that under Nucky's directive. Nucky says "Big Bait catches Big Fish", or something to that effect, regarding the transfer of the distellery to Rothstein. But we never hear him tell Doyle to 'bait the hook' as it were. In fact it doesn't seem like Nucky would've had much time to think about it, as Nucky seemed surprised that Doyle even got a hold of him. So did he hatch that plan off the cuff while he was on the phone with Doyle? Or is it more likely Doyle acted on his own contacting Rothstien?

Right now I'm sort of of the mind that Doyle was acting under Nucky's command, but I could easily be convinced otherwise.

The Masseria Rothstien part I think stems from the fact that Masseria is looking at Rothstien like these two young punks, or more specifically Luciano, screwed up this big deal, and Rothstein kind of came in, cleaned up their mess, and is offering to help Masseria get his deal back on track. Sort of an olive branch offering one pro to help another, instead of having to deal with these two amatuer hour kids.
There's obviously going to be a ton of parallells between Masseria/Rothstein and Luciano/Lansky. The ethnic backgrounds obviously. But the planning vs. action dynamic will be similar. And they'll sort of isolate this variable that Luciano and Lansky actually trust each other and get along, whereas Rothstein and Masseria will constantly be doubting the other. That's my guess anyway.

I believe Terrence Winter said in one of his many interviews after the finale that Doyle was working under Nucky's direction.

But Luciano's only screw up came from being setup by AR. Even if it was just some kind of test and AR was just trying to prove to Masseria that Luciano was a screwup to convince Masseria to let him replace him in the deal, what sense does it make for Masseria to accept AR telling him to back off support of Gyp when Masseria funded the deal in the first place?
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #800
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

To me it seemed pretty clear that Capone and Chalky were under orders from Nucky. When he stopped them from killing each other he says lets get in here and plan this thing, and then next time we see them, they're ambushing Masseria's men.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #801
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I think it was clear by the end of the episode that Doyle was acting under Nucky's command. The 'bait... hook' line and the Mellon/Means/Randolph scene pretty much spelled it out that Nucky was pulling the strings on that the entire time. The writers just made it seem like Doyle might have been going off the reservation to throw us off the scent.

Quote:

The whole situation with the heroin didn't make much sense to me, unless I missed something. From my understanding, AR set Lucky up in order to procure the drugs. But isn't the heroin Masseria's property to begin with? AR basically hijacked his H supply, so why would Joe work with him like they are partners all of a sudden? Joe the Boss was made to look like Joe the pushover in this episode. Let's Rothstein steal his stash and responds by making him a partner. Pulls his men off the Gyp detail, only to have them all slaughtered with no response (maybe next season?).

And the writers screwed up with the detail you mentioned- ethnic background. A lot of the source of tension between the mustache petes and the young turks had to do with just that- the old school mafiosi like Joe believed that Italians should only do business with Italians while the younger more Americanized gangsters saw the benefit in casting wider nets. Hell, the petes didn't even like doing business with Italians who weren't from Sicily, some didn't even deal with other Sicilians unless they were from the same town. The old guard hated that Luciano was dealing with Jews, Irishmen, and even other Italians (Joe and his men used to call Frank Costello 'the dirty Calabrian'). The writers highlighted the ethnic tension between the petes and gangsters from other other ethnic groups (Joe's first scene he scolds Lucky for doing business with 'Christ killers'). Yet now, Joe the Boss aka Mr. Mustache Pete is going to be partners with the Jew who hijacked his heroin shipment?

And I was under the impression that the reason Capone made a deal with Nucky was going to be revealed to be him gaining a large share of the Overholt distillery. But that obviously didn't happen. So what was Capone motivation for joining the war? Seems like he showed up out of the blue and said let's kill some people, inexplicably killed Masseria's men after peace was brokered, and then said 'ok, let's go back to Chicago now'.

What the hell did he get out of the major risk of openly beefing with Masseria? Just quenching his bloodlust and then going home empty-handed?

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 12-04-2012 at 04:02 PM.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #802
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
I think it was clear by the end of the episode that Doyle was acting under Nucky's command. The 'bait... hook' line and the Mellon/Means/Randolph scene pretty much spelled it out that Nucky was pulling the strings on that the entire time. The writers just made it seem like Doyle might have been going off the reservation to throw us off the scent.

The whole situation with the heroin didn't make much sense to me, unless I missed something. From my understanding, AR set Lucky up in order to procure the drugs. But isn't the heroin Masseria's property to begin with? AR basically hijacked his H supply, so why would Joe work with him like they are partners all of a sudden? Joe the Boss was made to look like Joe the pushover in this episode. Let's Rothstein steal his stash and responds by making him a partner. Pulls his men off the Gyp detail, only to have them all slaughtered with no response (maybe next season?).

And the writers screwed up with the detail you mentioned- ethnic background. A lot of the source of tension between the mustache petes and the young turks had to do with just that- the old school mafiosi like Joe believed that Italians should only do business with Italians while the younger more Americanized gangsters saw the benefit in casting wider nets. Hell, the petes didn't even like doing business with Italians who weren't from Sicily, some didn't even deal with other Sicilians unless they were from the same town. The old guard hated that Luciano was dealing with Jews, Irishmen, and even other Italians (Joe and his men used to call Frank Costello 'the dirty Calabrian'). The writers highlighted the ethnic tension between the petes and gangsters from other other ethnic groups (Joe's first scene he scolds Lucky for doing business with 'Christ killers'). Yet now, Joe the Boss aka Mr. Mustache Pete is going to be partners with the Jew who hijacked his heroin shipment?

And I was under the impression that the reason Capone made a deal with Nucky was going to be revealed to be him gaining a large share of the Overholt distillery. But that obviously didn't happen. So what was Capone motivation for joining the war? Seems like he showed up out of the blue and said let's kill some people, inexplicably killed Masseria's men after peace was brokered, and then said 'ok, let's go back to Chicago now'.

What the hell did he get out of the major risk of openly beefing with Masseria? Just quenching his bloodlust and then going home empty-handed?

Exactly the same confusion I had with Joe. On top of that, Joe's incentive to pull support of Gyp is he'll get in on a heroine deal that is really his deal in the first place?

I assume Nucky's deal with Capone is to deal liquor to him directly, which was the same offer he made to AR, Waxey Gordon, Frankie Yale a few episodes ago to recruit them for the war with Gyp/Masseria.

Last edited by guy : 12-04-2012 at 04:18 PM.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #803
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

I'm Barney google, with the googly eyes...
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #804
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

I haven't been able to get through this season yet, but just curious to those who have watched, how did the season go? How was it compared to the previous two?
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #805
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
I don't see how Masseria or Rothstein isn't playing some sort of angle here to eliminate the other. This is not a real partnership, let's be real.

Additionally, I don't feel that the episode had enough time for a Masseria response nor do I think that it was important enough of a detail to cram in.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #806
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I was wondering, does anyone else think Nucky will be "dead" next season? Him telling Eli he didn't want anyone around him anymore, the guy on the boardwalk asking "aren't you Nucky Thompson?" With Nucky throwing down the trademark red flower from his lapel..
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #807
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero
I was wondering, does anyone else think Nucky will be "dead" next season? Him telling Eli he didn't want anyone around him anymore, the guy on the boardwalk asking "aren't you Nucky Thompson?" With Nucky throwing down the trademark red flower from his lapel..
Basically, Nucky is at the point that he cannot play two roles, being a nice guy in the public while operating dirty businesses behind, anymore. The next season will probably be about what will be his decision.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #808
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

No he is finally realiZing that a boss like him cannot be so visible in the public eye, and that he needs real soldiers around him...Nucky kept trusting the absolute worst people, it's a real miracle he's not dead twice over by now
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #809
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

I think that's what they were implying with that short epilogue thing on the boardwalk too. There's been a significant time lapse that's happened between each season off screen, and I think what that was after the time lapse, and it seems like he's been somewhat of a recluse, or "dead" as you're saying. It seemed like that boardwalk was healthy again, I was expecting to catch a glimpse of Chalky's club, but didn't, and as of this point, who in the hell there doesn't know who Nucky is?
Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #810
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
I think that's what they were implying with that short epilogue thing on the boardwalk too. There's been a significant time lapse that's happened between each season off screen, and I think what that was after the time lapse, and it seems like he's been somewhat of a recluse, or "dead" as you're saying. It seemed like that boardwalk was healthy again, I was expecting to catch a glimpse of Chalky's club, but didn't, and as of this point, who in the hell there doesn't know who Nucky is?
That's what I was thinking, seemed like time had passed but we as the viewers were unaware of it and left to figure it out for ourselves.. maybe not though..
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: