Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #796
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I just caught up on it last night. I thought it was pretty good. I still feel the show has suffered from a spiraling affect since the killing of Jimmy Dharmody. Honestly I wasn't even crazy about that story line, the eodipal stuff. The PTSD. But it kept the show centered. There was Nucky. There was Jimmy. There was Gillian and Eli. We were on the Boardwalk.

Since Jimmy died, frankly Nucky has become less interesting. The show has spun up into NY. Out to Chicago. Into Philly and now Ohio. They keep having to come back to the Boardwalk for Nucky, but he's not even close to the most interesting character. Rothstein is great. The rise of Lansky and Luciano is fascinating, even if it looks like it's going to veer from reality now. The Masaria wars would be cool to get into. Capone's rise looks like it's going to be handled well. Van Alden is just a great character.

Now they're adding this Narcisse guy, who appears to be another fictional foyle, a la Gyp Rosetti (who I thought was great last year), and if they add Owney Madden too ... along with this new agent, who appears to be Van Alden 2.0.

It just seems like it's continueing to spread itself thinner and thinner. We didn't even see Marge Schroeder Thompson Mary Rohan and Nucky's two surrogate children. Sometimes it feels like I'm watching a string of youtube videos.

All that said, I still enjoy the show. There's nothing on tv put together quite this lushly (is the word I'm gonna use). And it's got a history of some good big picture thematic stuff. Women's issues. Prohibition. The Jimmy Story was some ancient greek shit. And I look forward to this season showcasing some of the race relation stuff of the time among this level of criminal, which has really just been beaten around the bush up to this point.

I thought season 3 was arguably the best season, or at least a very close 2nd, of the series. So no, I don't think its suffering from the loss of Jimmy. Although I do agree that Nucky has gotten less interesting. Its not as big of an issue to me though since everyone else has gotten more interesting at the same time. I wasn't really feeling the season premiere that much though, but I'm assuming it'll get better.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #797
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Anybody been watching this? Been pretty good I guess. So far though, it feels like it might end up being the weakest of the 4 seasons. We'll see though. The heroin stuff has been pretty interesting.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #798
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
I thought season 3 was arguably the best season, or at least a very close 2nd, of the series.

2>1>>3, although Gyp was great. I called Cannavale winning the Emmy during the season's run and I'm getting that inkling for Dr. Narcisse and Jeffrey Wright. He's been money so far. Great mixture of intelligence, cunning, and wonderful nuances that stem from his Marcus Garveyesque Black supremacist ideology (ie, having Dickey's wife axed and wiping his hand after shaking Rothstein's hand).

I do agree with Thorpe though that losing Jimmy was a bigger blow to the flow of the show than I originally thought it would be. He really tied the different stories together (Chicago, NY). After he left everything felt disjointed, like a series of random events that had no bearing on the main story. We've lost track of some great characters like Van Alden as a result. I think the writers are trying to use Narcisse in that glue-like function- he has business dealings with Nucky, Chalky, and now Rothstein and Madden in NYC. Plus him getting into heroin will probably have him at odds with Masseria/Luciano eventually.

Nice to finally see Madden, even if it was limited. And they are introducing Jack 'Legs' Diamond it seems. I like what they've done with Harrow's storyline, but if he's planning on giving up murder, doesn't seem like there's much reason for his character to exist any more.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #799
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

I agree and I think it is pretty universally accepted that the third season probably had the weakest writing, which is why they commissioned such an impressive group for this season. I think it's showing, too. I've really enjoyed the first three episodes and the Narcisse character is looking like a potential beast.

If you recall, Don, I thought they'd have a difficult time replacing Jimmy. It wasn't so much due to Michael Pitt's acting (though he was very good), but more because that character really tied everything together. The storylines were floundering last season and it pretty much felt like several separate shows in one as opposed to a big connected story.

This year they're getting back to those intricate connected storylines. Narcisse obviously doesn't like Chalky's reliance on white people. Or, maybe that's just the excuse he's using to go after the club. I don't know, but that's a very compelling story, as is the introduction of J. Edgar Hoover and the infancy of the FBI. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda
I like what they've done with Harrow's storyline, but if he's planning on giving up murder, doesn't seem like there's much reason for his character to exist any more.

I agree, which is why I think he may be written off soon. I really felt he was going to die in the last episode, simply because it seems that character has run its course. They don't telegraph their moves like that, though, so I should have known.

Margaret has been pretty much completely written out (not a bad thing). I am expecting her to return at some point, though, and fill those chunks which are currently being used with Harrow.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #800
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Great episode last night.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #801
Scoooter
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Haha. Nice.

Primo was a mongoloid with little skill. Baer was a monster... killed a couple guys in the ring, in fact. Primo's lucky he wasn't one of them.

I have no doubt this show will be getting back on track this season. Could already tell in the first episode the writing is much better and there is much more subtle stuff going on. Guess they got the message that Dunn needs to be utilized more.

And, damn it... Thought I was onto something with Nitti.
Actually, the second guy that Baer supposedly killed died months later, and he had meningitis. He actually died after eating a jab early in a fight with none other than Primo Carnera!
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #802
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Now that Breaking Bad is over I can get caught up with this show.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #803
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Last night was awesome. AR was salty at the poker table. Dr Narcisse is smooth criminal. Cant wait when Chalky peeps Purnsley game. Capone is nuts. Get to see both brothers. And I still get a trip off young Edgar Hoover.

Why does Van Alder (sp?) act like such a punk? Scardy cat. Embrace the violent side. Even your ride or die chick has more balls than you.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #804
Nastradamus
Decent college freshman

I love that Chalky,Van Alden,Capone and Rothstein, as well as Eddie, are all getting major screen time this year. Very good season so far. Rothstein starting to crack and be vulnerable is very interesting.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #805
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I liked it too. I like that they're using the Butler, who's fictional, to facillitate this story connecting Nucky to Capone. And using Capone's brother, who isn't prominent enough that they can't fictionalize him. So they've got some flexibility there.

I also like young Hoover. (That guy was the eventual bad guy at season two of The Killing, and oddly, had about 2 minutes at the series finale of Dexter, playing the veteranarian who stitches up the Brain Surgeon, then has his tongue cut out). But I am a little worried it's spiralling out of control.

I enjoy Narcisse so far. And Van Alden has always been one of the show's coolest original creations. I don't find his behavior a little contradictive to the guy who drowned someone during a baptism, or the guy who beat himself with a belt for impure thoughts. But I look forward to his eventual cracking.

Chalky is finally getting his due as a character.

And the big one for me this week was the bump up of Luciano and specifically Meyer Lansky. Both of those are great characterizations, and it'll be cool that they push forward some here, and in the process we get to see Rothstein more, and probably Masseria.

I just hope they can keep it under control. Still no Margarette, so I'm fearfull of 40 minutes of her at some point. The whole Florida scene could get iffy quick with all manner of new characters. I'm still not sure who the guy facillitating the deal is. And I could stand to not see a revisit from various politicians or big business men, or lady lawyers, irregardless of how much I've liked them in the past. The quick cameo by Steven Root I enjoyed, but even then there was a sense of "back to this guy now?!?!?!" I'm not sure how much more of Eli's kid at Rutgers I need. And as much as I love Harrow, I could live with that stretched out story remaining pared down pretty heavily.
This show needs focus. That seems to be it's biggest weakness. It's all over the place. And so far, with the exception of Harrow, it's remained pretty well honed in in my opinion so far. Here's to hoping it stays that way.
Thorpesaurous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #806
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I love that Chalky,Van Alden,Capone and Rothstein, as well as Eddie, are all getting major screen time this year. Very good season so far. Rothstein starting to crack and be vulnerable is very interesting.

Finally caught the episode and yeah, it's great that the writers are giving more shine to regulars that have been mostly in the background for much of the series, while not taking away from the established characters. Like Thorp pointed out, they're doing a solid job of staying on focus and not meandering like they did a ton of last season. This is shaping up to be a great one.

I love the little Historical touches they throw in and how they're not heavy handed, they flow in the story from dialogue. Examples were the exchange between the Capones about the 5 points gang (launched a ton of big time criminal careers like Capone, Luciano, Torrio); Mentioning Marcus Garvey and his movement without having to show the man; Lansky's story about how he met Lucky.

It was a nice change to see Rothstein not cool, calm, and in control. Obviously his gambling will be his downfall, which sets the wheels in motion for the young turks to make their name with the land deal partnership with Nucky. Speaking of which, I can't imagine that they would be able to make a major move like that in Tampa without Santo Trafficante taking notice.

And Eddie's a G, no way he cracks under the Feds' pressure.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 PM   #807
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I just hope they can keep it under control. Still no Margarette, so I'm fearfull of 40 minutes of her at some point.

I think giving her the axe was basically an acknowledgement by the creative team that they completely botched the character last season. I think we were both in agreement that she was one of the more compelling and well-written female characters on television before season 3. But her story went completely off the rails, had no connection to the main plot whatsoever, and ended with a complete dud (not counting Owen's death).

Can't imagine she's gone forever though, especially after Nucky and Eli's little chat about family and the previous episode with the gift for Teddy.

Anyone else getting a Jimmy vibe from Eli's kid? Especially with him being in college and that being a major part of Jimmy's story in season 2. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting into the family business, Eli getting the axe, and Nucky acting as a surrogate father to him ala Jimmy.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #808
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Another great episode
Old 10-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #809
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Eddie
Old 10-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #810
clipse026
Local High School Star

Damn 2 of the best characters on the show this season gone in a flash.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: