Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-07-2013, 10:56 PM   #811
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Default Re: Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse026
Damn 2 of the best characters on the show this season gone in a flash.

I was expecting Frank Capone to go, seeing as how that was the History. Like the little Godfather tribute with how he went too. But Eddie
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #812
clipse026
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
I was expecting Frank Capone to go, seeing as how that was the History. Like the little Godfather tribute with how he went too. But Eddie
Frank was easily the best part of the Capone family imo, even with such little screen time.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #813
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse026
Frank was easily the best part of the Capone family imo, even with such little screen time.

The chemistry between the brothers was great, the guy who played Frank did solid work. But I think Al has been one of the best characters on the show since the beginning. He's been a bit one note this season- a loose canon heroin/coke fiend and not as layered as before though. He's only going to get worse as the Southside/Northside rivalry heats up.

Check out the latest inside the episode, these always give nice insight and background into events/characters:

Inside the Episode Season 4, Episode 5
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #814
clipse026
Local High School Star

Yea I meant more this season as Capone has only been the loose cannon this year. He was great the 1st few seasons.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #815
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

The English guy who plays Al Capone has been killing it for a few seasons now, the energy, intensity and uneasiness he brings to each scene has only ever been matched by Gyp Rosetti.

I love how the New York guys carry an air of sophistication, Rothstein (though we did see a weakness to him finally in the poker episode), Narcisse (LIBYANS!!!) and even Lucky and Lansky seem to be a step above everyone else minus Nucky whose values seem solid, yet almost hokey in comparison.

This season has been great, love the Capone angle and the black angle they are focusing on this season.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #816
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
The chemistry between the brothers was great, the guy who played Frank did solid work. But I think Al has been one of the best characters on the show since the beginning. He's been a bit one note this season- a loose canon heroin/coke fiend and not as layered as before though. He's only going to get worse as the Southside/Northside rivalry heats up.

Check out the latest inside the episode, these always give nice insight and background into events/characters:

Inside the Episode Season 4, Episode 5

One of the best things about this show is seeing certain events unfold and then looking these people up on wikipedia and then seeing how this actually did happen to your surprise. Another great example of this was the whole Jess Smith suicide in season 3 after Gaston Means came to kill him, where in real life Jess Smith's death was ruled a suicide and Gaston Means was the only witness.
guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #817
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I agree that the season has been very good so far.

It's a fact I attribute again to focus, even if it's at the cost of good characters. Harrow was absent this week for example. The focus and timing was nicely split between Nucky with his nephew, and Chicago with Van Alden.

Van Alden remains one of the shows greatest pure inventions. And Micheal Shannon is a great character actor. But man is it nuts to think about the arc of that character. It's probably best to not think about it. It's too weird. It seems almost impossible that it doesn't pop up again at some point, perhaps via this FBI information. With Eddie gone, and the only real info they got from him being that he gave the money to a Capone, I can see them heading toward Chicago now.

I haven't been a huge fan of Nucky's nephew's story nudging it's way in, but it's made an interesting turn.

And backseating the Narcisse, Rothstien and co., Florida stuff, for a week, to me is the way this show should run. But it's a delicate balancing act, because three weeks from now I don't want to be re-introduced to Narcisse, or Florida, or some other thing that I will have forgotten by that point.

I wonder if this show would read better being watched in a short form, Netflix style series of binges?
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #818
Nastradamus
Decent college freshman

I'm wondering if Capone brings "Mueller" to a meeting with Nucky or something like that and he calls him out on being a prohi
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #819
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado

I have been avoiding this thread like fire since I recently finished the 3 season and I didn't want to see the spoilers. This show is loaded with excellent acting and writing. The characters are so well written, filled with humanity and contradictions.

Quote:
I doubt it went down the way it was portrayed in the show, but Masseria and Capone/Torrio had real beef for some reason, with both sides taking out key guys of the other.

There isn't anything firm about it but I think one of the reasons might be the Unione Siciliane.

Quote:
Al Capone's desire to control all of Chicago, including the local branch of the exclusively Sicilian Unione Siciliane, and his utter brutality ensured that the city's underworld was in a near constant state of warfare from 1925 to 1930. His tinkering with the Unione offended old-line Sicilian Mafiosi. Old friends Capone and Yale - both vassals of Mafia boss of bosses Giuseppe "Joe the Boss" Masseria - had a falling out. Legend says it was over the hijacking of liquor shipments.
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #820
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Just caught the latest episode... Narcisse

What a great, well-written and acted 'villain'. I'm almost rooting for him at this point. Hope he makes it past the season finale. He's like an even more devious and conniving version of Rothstein from season 1.

Love how the relationships of many of the characters aren't what they seem and all of the backstabbing going on. Going to be interesting to see how they all unravel and play out.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #821
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Anyone think Chalky might die this season? They already alluded to it in next weeks preview. I doubt it happens then but maybe in the finale. They need at least one big death. You think about it, the community seems to be turning on him, Purnsley and Daughter are playing on both sides, and Narcisse just seems to smart for him. You would think one of Chalky or Narcisse will win over the other in there feud by seasons end and Narcisse just seems to intelligent and level headed to already be killed off like a loose cannon like Gyp Rosetti would. Not sure how Nucky would play into this. Maybe his greed gets the best of him again and he decides to let things be to avoid trouble since the community would be siding with Narcisse?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #822
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

I guess not that many people care about this show but tonight's show
Old 10-29-2013, 12:55 AM   #823
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Chalky to Dunn: You come at the King, you best not miss (or my girl will stab you in the back)

And this is the second time (unless there's more I've missed) where 'Ragged Dick' was featured on the show. The first was when Gyp investigates Nucky's desk after launching that all out assault on his penthouse. He finds the copy with a written note from Nucky's mother on the inside sleeve:

Nice little easter egg by the writers.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #824
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Best show on television now. Don't understand why it doesn't get more hype.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #825
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
Best show on television now. Don't understand why it doesn't get more hype.

"The symbolism is beyond them"
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: