Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 AM   #841
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipse026
I don't really know much of the history outside of the big names like Capone, Luciano, Lansky so I guess that would make it easier to follow the subtleties. I'll be honest, I've never even heard of Owney Madden .

Quick rundown of Madden- was born in England, moved to America after his father died when he was young, settled in Manhattan. Joined a street gang called the Gophers, their rivals were the Hudson Dusters. He rose in the ranks after a handful of hits, became the leader. He was ambushed and shot 11 times, survived, killed the shooters a week later. Got sentenced to 20 years in Sing Sing for murder, got out after 9. Gophers were done by the time he got out so he started from the bottom again, got a job as hired muscle by an old gang buddy working cab stands. Got into bootlegging, got big. Opened the Cotton Club (mentioned in the episode) which was a famous Harlem joint. And that's where he is in the story now.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #842
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Finally caught the first episode. Very solid premiere IMO.

My dude Dunn Purnsley had a very... interesting night to say the least. Loved how Chalky kept giving him shit, nice use of dark comedy with the burial scene.

That kid Knox seemed like an annoying, unnecessary time-waster character but him being revealed to be a calculating sociopath was great. Will be interesting to see how they use him going forward.

And did I miss something with Harrow's story? Who is he killing and who is he working for? Is it just random mercenary work? He was in Ohio, right?

Also like how they dropped hints at Owney Madden being featured this season. That's a historic badass whose life played out like a movie. Got shot 11 times, survived, the people who did it were goners a week later. One of his underlings was George Raft. He was a crooked Boxing promoter and he was one of the driving forces behind Hot Springs, Arkansas which was Vegas before Vegas.

Capone was great as usual, nice to see Herc join the cast.

Lehane helped write the next episode. Looking forward to this season.
Was the other guy that was wrestling around with Capone Frank Nitti? I believe they were calling him Frank. I assume that's his formal introduction?
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 AM   #843
clipse026
Local High School Star

clipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected posterclipse026 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Quick rundown of Madden- was born in England, moved to America after his father died when he was young, settled in Manhattan. Joined a street gang called the Gophers, their rivals were the Hudson Dusters. He rose in the ranks after a handful of hits, became the leader. He was ambushed and shot 11 times, survived, killed the shooters a week later. Got sentenced to 20 years in Sing Sing for murder, got out after 9. Gophers were done by the time he got out so he started from the bottom again, got a job as hired muscle by an old gang buddy working cab stands. Got into bootlegging, got big. Opened the Cotton Club (mentioned in the episode) which was a famous Harlem joint. And that's where he is in the story now.
Nice, thanks for the info.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #844
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Was the other guy that was wrestling around with Capone Frank Nitti? I believe they were calling him Frank. I assume that's his formal introduction?

Nope, Frank Capone (born Salvatore, so no idea where they got that from) and Herc from the Wire is his other brother Ralph. Frank was supposedly the 'crazy' Capone brother, which is saying a lot

Cool Boxing trivia regarding Madden since I know you'll like it. The original owner of the Cotton Club was Jack Johnson but Madden muscled in while still at Sing Sing and was a silent partner, but the eventual real owner. He later became a Boxing promoter and he was responsible for fixing all of Primo Carnera's fights and eventually feeding him to the lions in that infamous bout with Max Baer.

Quote:
Nice, thanks for the info.

Don't mention it

Last edited by DonDadda59 : 09-10-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #845
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Nope, Frank Capone (born Salvatore, so no idea where they got that from) and Herc from the Wire is his other brother Ralph. Frank was supposedly the 'crazy' Capone brother, which is saying a lot

Cool Boxing trivia regarding Madden since I know you'll like it. The original owner of the Cotton Club was Jack Johnson but Madden muscled in while still at Sing Sing and was a silent partner, but the eventual real owner. He later became a Boxing promoter and he was responsible for fixing all of Primo Carnera's fights and eventually feeding him to the lions in that infamous bout with Max Baer.
Haha. Nice.

Primo was a mongoloid with little skill. Baer was a monster... killed a couple guys in the ring, in fact. Primo's lucky he wasn't one of them.

I have no doubt this show will be getting back on track this season. Could already tell in the first episode the writing is much better and there is much more subtle stuff going on. Guess they got the message that Dunn needs to be utilized more.

And, damn it... Thought I was onto something with Nitti.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #846
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Watched it yesterday. I really should have refreshed my memory on Season 3 because I was lost in a few ways. i thought the episode was dry and slow, and testing our patience.

How did Nucky "get back" so fast? I felt like he hasn't lost a step? That's weird.

Who is Harrow killing and why? Are we supposed to not know?

I just felt a little lost and I felt the show could have done a better job getting us back into the B.E. mindset....I want the first episode of a new season after 9 months away to be a little more explanatory and something compelling to get us right back in to the new season. The dry episodes can come in the middle of the season. Despite all the murders, i didn't really feel it first episode.....maybe i need to go back watch a season 3 recap, and watch this episode again....
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #847
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

I don't understand whats going on with Harrow. At this point, he doesn't have any enemies. He's not against Nucky. He killed all of Gyp's men. No one is after him. I'm confused.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #848
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

I'm working on the assumption that we're supposed to be clueless on Harrow's reasons for going on the killing spree. I'd expect that will come out in later episodes. Dude is the grim-reaper.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #849
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
I don't understand whats going on with Harrow. At this point, he doesn't have any enemies. He's not against Nucky. He killed all of Gyp's men. No one is after him. I'm confused.
I was assuming it'll have something to so with his sister. Not sure what that could be at this point though.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #850
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Anti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAnti Hero is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Good first episode, looking forward to the rest of the season.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #851
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I just caught up on it last night. I thought it was pretty good. I still feel the show has suffered from a spiraling affect since the killing of Jimmy Dharmody. Honestly I wasn't even crazy about that story line, the eodipal stuff. The PTSD. But it kept the show centered. There was Nucky. There was Jimmy. There was Gillian and Eli. We were on the Boardwalk.

Since Jimmy died, frankly Nucky has become less interesting. The show has spun up into NY. Out to Chicago. Into Philly and now Ohio. They keep having to come back to the Boardwalk for Nucky, but he's not even close to the most interesting character. Rothstein is great. The rise of Lansky and Luciano is fascinating, even if it looks like it's going to veer from reality now. The Masaria wars would be cool to get into. Capone's rise looks like it's going to be handled well. Van Alden is just a great character.

Now they're adding this Narcisse guy, who appears to be another fictional foyle, a la Gyp Rosetti (who I thought was great last year), and if they add Owney Madden too ... along with this new agent, who appears to be Van Alden 2.0.

It just seems like it's continueing to spread itself thinner and thinner. We didn't even see Marge Schroeder Thompson Mary Rohan and Nucky's two surrogate children. Sometimes it feels like I'm watching a string of youtube videos.

All that said, I still enjoy the show. There's nothing on tv put together quite this lushly (is the word I'm gonna use). And it's got a history of some good big picture thematic stuff. Women's issues. Prohibition. The Jimmy Story was some ancient greek shit. And I look forward to this season showcasing some of the race relation stuff of the time among this level of criminal, which has really just been beaten around the bush up to this point.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #852
guy
NBA All-star

guy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation hereguy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I just caught up on it last night. I thought it was pretty good. I still feel the show has suffered from a spiraling affect since the killing of Jimmy Dharmody. Honestly I wasn't even crazy about that story line, the eodipal stuff. The PTSD. But it kept the show centered. There was Nucky. There was Jimmy. There was Gillian and Eli. We were on the Boardwalk.

Since Jimmy died, frankly Nucky has become less interesting. The show has spun up into NY. Out to Chicago. Into Philly and now Ohio. They keep having to come back to the Boardwalk for Nucky, but he's not even close to the most interesting character. Rothstein is great. The rise of Lansky and Luciano is fascinating, even if it looks like it's going to veer from reality now. The Masaria wars would be cool to get into. Capone's rise looks like it's going to be handled well. Van Alden is just a great character.

Now they're adding this Narcisse guy, who appears to be another fictional foyle, a la Gyp Rosetti (who I thought was great last year), and if they add Owney Madden too ... along with this new agent, who appears to be Van Alden 2.0.

It just seems like it's continueing to spread itself thinner and thinner. We didn't even see Marge Schroeder Thompson Mary Rohan and Nucky's two surrogate children. Sometimes it feels like I'm watching a string of youtube videos.

All that said, I still enjoy the show. There's nothing on tv put together quite this lushly (is the word I'm gonna use). And it's got a history of some good big picture thematic stuff. Women's issues. Prohibition. The Jimmy Story was some ancient greek shit. And I look forward to this season showcasing some of the race relation stuff of the time among this level of criminal, which has really just been beaten around the bush up to this point.

I thought season 3 was arguably the best season, or at least a very close 2nd, of the series. So no, I don't think its suffering from the loss of Jimmy. Although I do agree that Nucky has gotten less interesting. Its not as big of an issue to me though since everyone else has gotten more interesting at the same time. I wasn't really feeling the season premiere that much though, but I'm assuming it'll get better.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #853
guy
NBA All-star

Anybody been watching this? Been pretty good I guess. So far though, it feels like it might end up being the weakest of the 4 seasons. We'll see though. The heroin stuff has been pretty interesting.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #854
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
I thought season 3 was arguably the best season, or at least a very close 2nd, of the series.

2>1>>3, although Gyp was great. I called Cannavale winning the Emmy during the season's run and I'm getting that inkling for Dr. Narcisse and Jeffrey Wright. He's been money so far. Great mixture of intelligence, cunning, and wonderful nuances that stem from his Marcus Garveyesque Black supremacist ideology (ie, having Dickey's wife axed and wiping his hand after shaking Rothstein's hand).

I do agree with Thorpe though that losing Jimmy was a bigger blow to the flow of the show than I originally thought it would be. He really tied the different stories together (Chicago, NY). After he left everything felt disjointed, like a series of random events that had no bearing on the main story. We've lost track of some great characters like Van Alden as a result. I think the writers are trying to use Narcisse in that glue-like function- he has business dealings with Nucky, Chalky, and now Rothstein and Madden in NYC. Plus him getting into heroin will probably have him at odds with Masseria/Luciano eventually.

Nice to finally see Madden, even if it was limited. And they are introducing Jack 'Legs' Diamond it seems. I like what they've done with Harrow's storyline, but if he's planning on giving up murder, doesn't seem like there's much reason for his character to exist any more.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #855
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

I agree and I think it is pretty universally accepted that the third season probably had the weakest writing, which is why they commissioned such an impressive group for this season. I think it's showing, too. I've really enjoyed the first three episodes and the Narcisse character is looking like a potential beast.

If you recall, Don, I thought they'd have a difficult time replacing Jimmy. It wasn't so much due to Michael Pitt's acting (though he was very good), but more because that character really tied everything together. The storylines were floundering last season and it pretty much felt like several separate shows in one as opposed to a big connected story.

This year they're getting back to those intricate connected storylines. Narcisse obviously doesn't like Chalky's reliance on white people. Or, maybe that's just the excuse he's using to go after the club. I don't know, but that's a very compelling story, as is the introduction of J. Edgar Hoover and the infancy of the FBI. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda
I like what they've done with Harrow's storyline, but if he's planning on giving up murder, doesn't seem like there's much reason for his character to exist any more.

I agree, which is why I think he may be written off soon. I really felt he was going to die in the last episode, simply because it seems that character has run its course. They don't telegraph their moves like that, though, so I should have known.

Margaret has been pretty much completely written out (not a bad thing). I am expecting her to return at some point, though, and fill those chunks which are currently being used with Harrow.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: