Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #841
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Boardwalk Empire (HBO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Both

Disagree but to each his own. I like both characters and their storyline. Liked Purnsley too and that fight was epic. Probably could've waited for that too happen a few episodes later so we got more Purnsley, but whatever.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #842
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I love the Dr Narcisse vs Chalky, Dr Narcisse vs Nucky (well the whole heroin deal).
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #843
Immortal Bum
Decent playground baller

i dropped this show prior to the last season's last few episodes but picked it back up and i'm glad i did. Its easily the best show on TV behind Homeland (its at a tie with that one, maybe even better) and Game of Thrones. This season thus far has been excellent.

I really want to see Will to stick around as Nucky's protege, which is what i liked so much about Jimmy. I can't wait to see what happens in the next episode; i'm worried the doctor is going to do something heinous to Chalky's children though.
Immortal Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #844
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Bum
i dropped this show prior to the last season's last few episodes but picked it back up and i'm glad i did. Its easily the best show on TV behind Homeland (its at a tie with that one, maybe even better) and Game of Thrones. This season thus far has been excellent.

I really want to see Will to stick around as Nucky's protege, which is what i liked so much about Jimmy. I can't wait to see what happens in the next episode; i'm worried the doctor is going to do something heinous to Chalky's children though.

Boardwalk is easily better then Homeland to me. Homeland's entertaining, but it can be so over the top its just ridiculous. Sometimes it just seems like they just write the story as they go. **HOMELAND SPOILERS***I believe they originally did intend to kill Brody, only for the Showtime Executives to vote against that because of his popularity on the show. IMO, you can easily tell from the story that that was the case, which is bad. *HOMELAND SPOILERS END**

And personally, I like Boardwalk better then Game of Thrones. I feel completely alone on that, but GOT just has way too many characters to pay attention to, and the fact that they don't speak normal English makes that even harder, plus I just like shows based on realism more. Don't get me wrong though, its still a great show.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #845
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

The doctor must go!!
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #846
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Finally caught the latest episode. God damn that was great TV

The writers are doing the same thing they did with Jimmy in Season 2... they keep dropping signals (via Daughter) that Chalky won't live past the season finale

First they had her sing 'the Old Ship of Zion' which was a funeral oration for him. Then she kept singing (including through the credits) about going down to the river Jordan. Just a continuation of the water/ship/death motif. Wouldn't be surprised if that's how he goes- somehow connected to water. But doesn't seem like he or Daughter will be around for season 5.

Narcissse is a great character, hope he makes it past the finale now that he controls the North Side and Chalky's on his way out. Also nice to see Masseria, the guy who plays him is one of the best actors on the show, really nailed the character.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #847
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy

And personally, I like Boardwalk better then Game of Thrones. I feel completely alone on that, but GOT just has way too many characters to pay attention to, and the fact that they don't speak normal English makes that even harder, plus I just like shows based on realism more. Don't get me wrong though, its still a great show.

Are you being serious? Dude there's equally as many characters on Boardwalk and they speak in all kinds of different accents.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #848
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Are you being serious? Dude there's equally as many characters on Boardwalk and they speak in all kinds of different accents.

Doesn't feel like it to me. Maybe I'm overstating things, but its definitely easier to follow for me.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #849
The Real JW
High School Starter

oh shit
The Real JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #850
Nastradamus
National High School Star

Last few episodes have been amazing. Can't wait for the finale. I feel a bit bad for Gillian, but at the same time I don't.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #851
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

The season as a whole has been pretty solid. I personally could've done with less Gillian and more of the Florida connection, Massaria's hook, etc. But overall as I've said before, I think the show works best when it hones it's focus onto less pieces of the story, and this season was probably more focused than any of the previous.

Narcisse has sort of run his course with me. The high language and stuff that I sort of dug to begin with I've sort of had my fill with.

I really like the dynamic they created between Nucky and Eli with this federal turning, but I wasn't crazy about how they got to it. And I sort of wish they got into it sooner, because Eli sweating under the pressure, and wringing his hands trying to decide what to do, and Nucky's hunt for the "Skunk in his basement", both were really well done, and I would've loved to have seen more of it over the course of the season, rather than Gillian's non-sequetor, or even Harrow's adventure (I believe Harrow's working for Nucky will pay off next week). Instead it was rushed and felt like Nucky has psychic powers.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #852
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
The season as a whole has been pretty solid. I personally could've done with less Gillian and more of the Florida connection, Massaria's hook, etc. But overall as I've said before, I think the show works best when it hones it's focus onto less pieces of the story, and this season was probably more focused than any of the previous.

Narcisse has sort of run his course with me. The high language and stuff that I sort of dug to begin with I've sort of had my fill with.

I really like the dynamic they created between Nucky and Eli with this federal turning, but I wasn't crazy about how they got to it. And I sort of wish they got into it sooner, because Eli sweating under the pressure, and wringing his hands trying to decide what to do, and Nucky's hunt for the "Skunk in his basement", both were really well done, and I would've loved to have seen more of it over the course of the season, rather than Gillian's non-sequetor, or even Harrow's adventure (I believe Harrow's working for Nucky will pay off next week). Instead it was rushed and felt like Nucky has psychic powers.

It may have not been clear if Nucky knows that Eli is the "Skunk", but I watched the Inside the Episode and the director pretty much confirmed that Nucky knows its him. I'm thinking Eli dies in the season in the finale. I was thinking either Chalky or Eli are dead, but Chalky's almost died so many times now, I think he gets out alive. For Eli though, it separates Nucky from the FBI more and finally puts an end to the Nucky directly or indirectly vs Eli storyline thats been going on since the beginning.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #853
guy
3-time NBA All-Star

The Gillian storyline was pretty shocking. But I'm wondering, so did he really kill that guy? What was that about? Or was that part of the ruse? And also, how would they have known that Gillian was going to admit to that? If she never admitted to it, how would all those detectives have gotten out of the house without Gillian knowing? And, I guess this is the end for Gillian right?
Old 11-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #854
The Real JW
High School Starter

Also, how did they even know about the guy she killed? Did they just have an inclination somehow that she must have killed somebody and used it to fake her son's body?
The Real JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #855
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I thought the guy he shot was in the house at the end. And I got the impression Uncle Joon Soprano knew what she did and set her up.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: